What's new

Shaving Mug vs. Shaving Bowl

Started out using a coffee mug that my mother supplied with a mug, when I first started shaving back in the 60's, (still have it) used it for many years, changed it to a wide mouth Old Spice mug but in the past few years, since finding Badger and Blade I use bowls most of the time, If I do use a mug I've found that they work best with a 20mm brush and big knot brushes work better with a bowl.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I love necrothreads that spring back to life for no apparent reason!

I mainly face lather, but do like a mug for hard soap. There’s something very satisfyingly old fashion about lathering on top of the puck in the mug. I use a modified Marco’s Method to whip the lather about half way in the mug and finish on my face. My preferred mug brush is the Semogue 2000, which plenty of loft and rarely clanks.

+1 for face lathering

Try it some time. You might like it.
I have a nice Fendrihan stoneware mug that I use only to keep my lathered brush warm between passes.

You do realize that the OP is the owner of Captain's Choice, the creator of the best lathering bowl in the entire world, right? The post is from 2011, so I am guessing it was from a time before he started the company...kinda cool to look back and see where everyone got their start:)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Prefer a low edged lathering bowl about 5-6" Diam and scrape a small amount of my soap to use into the bowl to make my lather because I change soaps about after 2 uses. I also like a bowl with a handle if possible just so I have a sense of secure grip.
This bowl I used today for example!
Sunday shave 2.jpg

You do realize that the OP is the owner of Captain's Choice, the creator of the best lathering bowl in the entire world, right? The post is from 2011, so I am guessing it was from a time before he started the company...kinda cool to look back and see where everyone got their start:)

LOL I guess he finally decided that if you don't like the mug or bowl that you're using, make your own.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I gotta ask. The colored reinforcements on the Proraso are for?
Razorock after shave splashes and other great aftershave splashes.....!
I was researching some aftershaves that had limited opinions and so I decided to try and improve this by more a visual and informative way. It's not fool proof and is more my opinion about this subject of aftershaves. When you buy on the internet you do not get the chance to smell or sample it.(Canadian Mountain Man you might have electronic version of something similar.)

Proraso (Green): I was surprised to enjoy a softer sweet fresh scent that this Aftershave presented, it's more to my liking and will compliment a good shave. It seemed a little sticky when applied but dried quickly and definitely just for the user pleasure and not a cologne statement.
Cost:$12.00-$14.00 and is well affordable for most.
20180629_084111_crop_717x423-86887-jpg.894163

Scent strength: 2-2.5/10 and does not have a lot of staying strength 1 to 2 hrs but lots of folks can't take a strong scent that lingers for long hrs. Office & room friendly IMO.
Reactions:No one should find it a offensive scent IMO and it seems when applied by myself you smell the sourly eucalyptus a bit when wet and as it drys you sense a slightly sweeter sent that is fresh is how I best explain it.
I had No reactions to skin and the wife did not even know I was wearing it and the skin liked it.
Paper business card test (NEW): I use some old paper business cards that I have to dab some Prosraso Green on and let dry and check periodically to smell how long the scent stays on the paper before it is not very noticeable. Approx 3-4 hrs staying power, this is different than on your skin it seems because your nose seems to block scent fragrance out within 10 minutes and nose seems to pick up whiffs of it periodically with me anyways.
Have some great after-shaves!:whistling::wink:

I bought a red/lavender bowl (see it in my avatar picture) from Utilemud on Easy, and I've never looked back. Oh, I use a D.R. Harris Arlington stick and fave-lather when I travel; otherwise, it's my beloved bowl every shave. Not enough room in a mug, and the handle gets in my way.

Razorock after shave splashes and other great aftershave splashes.....!
I was researching some aftershaves that had limited opinions and so I decided to try and improve this by more a visual and informative way. It's not fool proof and is more my opinion about this subject of aftershaves. When you buy on the internet you do not get the chance to smell or sample it.(Canadian Mountain Man you might have electronic version of something similar.)

Proraso (Green): I was surprised to enjoy a softer sweet fresh scent that this Aftershave presented, it's more to my liking and will compliment a good shave. It seemed a little sticky when applied but dried quickly and definitely just for the user pleasure and not a cologne statement.
Cost:$12.00-$14.00 and is well affordable for most.
20180629_084111_crop_717x423-86887-jpg.894163

Scent strength: 2-2.5/10 and does not have a lot of staying strength 1 to 2 hrs but lots of folks can't take a strong scent that lingers for long hrs. Office & room friendly IMO.
Reactions:No one should find it a offensive scent IMO and it seems when applied by myself you smell the sourly eucalyptus a bit when wet and as it drys you sense a slightly sweeter sent that is fresh is how I best explain it.
I had No reactions to skin and the wife did not even know I was wearing it and the skin liked it.
Paper business card test (NEW): I use some old paper business cards that I have to dab some Prosraso Green on and let dry and check periodically to smell how long the scent stays on the paper before it is not very noticeable. Approx 3-4 hrs staying power, this is different than on your skin it seems because your nose seems to block scent fragrance out within 10 minutes and nose seems to pick up whiffs of it periodically with me anyways.
Have some great after-shaves!:whistling::wink:
Thats awesome & I love the charting!! The business card idea is brilliant btw!

Canadian Mountain Man you might have electronic version of something similar.
Have I become that predictable?

But yes, I do.:blushing:

Bottles are banded
proxy.php

Top band is the temp, bottom two are the most pronounced notes
proxy.php

And yes, there's a tab in the spreadsheet for software/scents
proxy.php

So you load your brush in one bowl and then lather in another? How many bowls does everyone have in their bathrooms? You all must have huge houses!

LOL I guess he finally decided that if you don't like the mug or bowl that you're using, make your own.

Wow, a trip down memory lane there from years ago. You are right, this post was the precursor to the development of our line of lather bowls. Forgot all about this post but fun to look back - thanks for resurrecting.

24624EEA-1B5F-4A96-A545-637C6592C174.jpeg
I love my Captains Choice bowls.
F07BA14F-BF1F-4E5F-B1B9-53DC2A9C49CE.jpeg
48655CE6-5356-44AB-AB1C-79EB50A73E57.jpeg
733C1060-0817-4ECC-8BCA-EBC0C269783B.jpeg
250ADD46-1F3C-477B-B382-21B9DE2B50F9.jpeg
2845B66D-99CF-4132-864C-4D552A78A8BC.jpeg

EA1B15AF-9129-4239-9090-C353694467EF.jpeg
FFA650C5-852D-4629-BE18-E18347875FA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A48AEF5-9401-4EC5-B22D-38D0D1C24C43.jpeg
    2A48AEF5-9401-4EC5-B22D-38D0D1C24C43.jpeg