What's new

Shavette specifically for pencil moustache

What shavette would you recommend to me? My own thoughts so far, but I could be wrong in any or all, are:

- half DE, not AC, because of the effort and costs involved

- on the safer side (little exposure, corners covered?), because I have no experience with straight razors/shavettes, and will gain experience slowly, unless I switch to them entirely, not just for the upper lip

- firm hold of the blade in the shavette. For a beginner and merely occasional user, wobbly blades wouldn't be helpful.

- thin, because the whole point is to make an angle possible that isn't too perpendicular to my skin. It would be more difficult to shave flatly if the blade is literally half a DE blade, but the holder is as wide as a full one or more. (Wide? Deep? I hope it's clear which I mean.)

Look for a shavette that covers the corners of the blade. Most don't. This one dors, it's the Focus Slim AL
shavette-slim-al-razor-r28-2-focus-red.jpg

I think understand your question/concern about size, where you are not so concerned with the spine thickness but don't want a large "blade" width. Meaning you are looking for one that is shorter rather than taller (like choosing a 5/8" straight over a 7/8"). While I understand that concern, most of the half-bladed shavettes are relatively close in size and you will need to develop a light touch to use one as it can not be held flat and reach the spots you need. Though you would want to avoid ones that take full blades like the "Universal shavette " which would require a steeper angle.

I understand that you don't want to purchase Artist Club style blades, but if you were really wanting the shortest razor, getting a cheap clone and a pack of AC blades is something to consider. The blade is stiffer than a DE and the razor might fit flatter under the nose. But I think those advantages are small and you can learn to use a half-bladed shavette with some care and patience.

That makes sense, yes. I bought an inexpensive Parker now, and seeing how it goes, I might upgrade it after a while.

Just as a quick report: I like the shavette. So I'm pretty fine with the right cheek, bit careful around the jaw, of course, but no cuts yet. Left side with left hand is still trickier, and the jawline and the part more toward the chin - well, I'm not quite there yet.
Oh, the moustache, you ask? No way. But it turns out that my old Gillette New is doing the trick quite well, actually. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What shavette would you recommend to me? My own thoughts so far, but I could be wrong in any or all, are:

- half DE, not AC, because of the effort and costs involved

- on the safer side (little exposure, corners covered?), because I have no experience with straight razors/shavettes, and will gain experience slowly, unless I switch to them entirely, not just for the upper lip

- firm hold of the blade in the shavette. For a beginner and merely occasional user, wobbly blades wouldn't be helpful.

- thin, because the whole point is to make an angle possible that isn't too perpendicular to my skin. It would be more difficult to shave flatly if the blade is literally half a DE blade, but the holder is as wide as a full one or more. (Wide? Deep? I hope it's clear which I mean.)
You can mute the corners of the blade by simply running them down a mirror or appropriate counter top before installing the blade. I shave with straight razors but do occasionally use my Parker shavette.

The Parker shavette I bought, one of those with a wooden handle, seems fine with the corners, actually. I just need some more practice, in particular with my left hand, and then around chin and mouth.

Top Bottom