What's new

Shave-wise, how do the higher end Gillettes compare to "regular" Gillettes?

I don't think price has anything to do with the quality of shave. For many who just want a close shave, it's nuts to pay big bucks.

Collectors are different.

Al

One of my best shaving razors cost me $1.75. It is made of black plastic and as light as a feather but shaves great. I should probably order a couple more at that price to keep around for when this one breaks (plastic threads tend to do that). I also use a Gillette red-tip quite a bit lately (PIFed to me a couple of years ago, sorry I don't remember your screen name but thanks -- it is much appreciated).

Sorry Tom someone has to tell you. YOUR stuck in a eternal loop of reading old threads over and over. Ground hog day my friend.:scared: You'll never leave B&B! Muwhahahahaha!
proxy.php

I think that it is because if the influx of Xmas newbies! I think that it is great that they are reading more of the older threads and reviving rather than start a new one with the same questions.

That said, I am also likening some of the new threads with the same old questions asked in a more creative manner.

What is it with so many 5 year old thread being dug up lately?

I have a pretty large collection of DE and SE razors . Out of my Gillette's,adjustable and non adjustable, I would say without any doubt at all the best shave is from the red tip.I am surprised no one else mentioned it?

When I first started out I got a Fatboy, Slim and a Flare Tip - they were fine at the time. Since my technique has improved, they now sit by the side having been replaced by my Mergress, R41, and most recently my Sledgehammer Slant. I also retain the DE89 for "rush shaves" during the week. I think my more recent preferences have to do with the head design and aggressiveness and efficiency of the shaves. I also think this is one of those really, really YMMV things. A good shave is a good shave - how you get there is up to you and based on technique first. Good luck.

I think that it is because if the influx of Xmas newbies! I think that it is great that they are reading more of the older threads and reviving rather than start a new one with the same questions.

That said, I am also likening some of the new threads with the same old questions asked in a more creative manner.

Reviving old threads with something to add to it I get, I just don't understand reviving a 5 or 6 year old thread to answer a question that was asked, well, 5 or 6 years ago. And I'm really not sure what the poster that drug this one up is saying.

Last edited:
What is it with so many 5 year old thread being dug up lately?

:001_rolle Ha ha, I've noticed this too!

I think this subject is very debatable. Especially if you confuse the result of the shave with the experience of the shave.

I have been DE shaving for some years now. Well, actually I bought my first DE kit in 1980... For a number of years I only shaved with vintage US made Gillettes after two cases of Zamak rot on my Merkurs.

In 2010 I bought a stainless Feather razor while I was waiting for my flight at an airport. I bought it because the tactile feeling of the thing, it has a feeling to it that any of my vintage US Gillettes have.

This fall and winter I , without any conscious effort or much spending, managed to obtain four vintage Aristocrats. Three British and one US made.

Suffice to say these razors have teached me the difference between a shaving experience and the result of a good shave. I would never have thought that anything that old would be able to match (in a different way) the feeling of shaving with my Feather!

Last edited:
Top Bottom