What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the Williams is a vintage shave stick use it. If it is modern Williams made into a shave stick use "Monsavon"

Well, I have both since you sent me a vintage Williams but I had the modern version in mind when I made the list. Which will push Monsavon by default!

Luc

Staff member
A little overdue but done. Tweex has been collecting dust for 6 days now so it's time to post the review. Here's a link of when I did 1 week of Tweex : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-shave-sticks-reviewed)?p=4441619#post4441619

I created the product in the review section of the forum : http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=211479

Changing post 1 to rank it and moving to the next stick

EDIT: Forgot the picture, here it is. While this one is not a top favourite, the fact that the soap is hard might make it go over 70 shaves easy. I would guess between 80 and 90 shaves total.

Attachments

• $SANY7160 (800x598).jpg
    $SANY7160 (800x598).jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I got this mild (yes mild) obsession with Shaving Sticks. Some love them, some hate them, some find them okay (all those feelings are all right). I'm not here to convince anyone to buy a product over another. I'm here to share that experience that I got that will, hopefully, be beneficial to the others.

I am not an expert, I'm an enthusiast. Keep in mind that my opinion could be completely different than yours, and that's great I reckon!

So, back to the shave sticks. They are discussed here and there, sometimes, someone even asks for a sub-forum about them. A shaving stick is like a shaving soap puck, the shape is different and that's all. The texture or density of the product would qualify it as a shave soap so it makes sense that we keep them together.

A shaving stick is mostly used to face lather. Many use them to travel only. I use a shave stick while I'm not traveling. I face lather regardless if it's a shave stick, soap or even shave cream. In the end, I use a shave stick because I prefer using a shave stick.

Keeping this in mind, anyone could transform a shave stick to a puck or a puck to a shave stick if they want to. What I would like to do today is start a project where I will review all my shave sticks and compare them one to another. I will then prepare my shave soaps and turn them into sticks to review them. If anyone has comments or suggestions, please share.

I reviewed, not too long ago, all Turkish shave sticks. That was a great little journey and I would do it again if I had to. I discovered some nice products but even after a week of usage, I know if I would like this product or not, I won't review it yet. I think I need to use those on a longer term type of thing to get a big overall view before I actually enter them in the review system. If someone uses a product 2-3 times and review it, it's no good IMO. What you will get is the "first impression". This is what I'm trying to avoid. I give my firsts impressions but I will continue to use the product until there's almost none left. That way, it will ensure a better review.

What do I have? I will try to go through the following products. Not in that order in particular. I will use the product to the end and then review here and create a review in the review system if necessary. Some of those I already reviewed but going back to old products could change my perception on how I see it...

The List to be tested

Currently tested

Rankings

Currently made
----------This is where I draw a line on what I would buy again and would not. Everything below is a no I'm afraid-----------

Discontinued

Avoid at all costs

attachment.php

I probably have enough soaps (I didn't put the shave creams) for a few years...

So, a few links to help you further
Good man! Great collection.

Luc, did you ever try a Mystic Water shave stick? I took a chance and just ordered one, the Orange Vanilla. Now I'm curious if anyone has tried it and how it performed.

Luc

Staff member
Luc, did you ever try a Mystic Water shave stick? I took a chance and just ordered one, the Orange Vanilla. Now I'm curious if anyone has tried it and how it performed.

No I did not. I haven't listed any artisan sticks as I do not own many artisan sticks and I did not want it to look like I was promoting a product over another (i.e. Why did you review Fred's stick but not mine?). I do have a few of them but that one in particular, no.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on their products.

No I did not. I haven't listed any artisan sticks as I do not own many artisan sticks and I did not want it to look like I was promoting a product over another (i.e. Why did you review Fred's stick but not mine?). I do have a few of them but that one in particular, no.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on their products.

I understand your reasoning for not wanting to test an artisan brand. When I get it and try it I will post my thoughts on it.
As I have posted here before, I use to have a hard time with sticks but now that I got the hang of them I just love using them. I may end up retiring my bowls. I found that starting with a fairly wet brush made a big difference for me. Some soaps that I didn't care for now I love.
I asked the water dept in my city if we had hard or soft water. They said it was soft, 40-45 mg/L. At least I have that going for me.

I understand your reasoning for not wanting to test an artisan brand. When I get it and try it I will post my thoughts on it.
As I have posted here before, I use to have a hard time with sticks but now that I got the hang of them I just love using them. I may end up retiring my bowls. I found that starting with a fairly wet brush made a big difference for me. Some soaps that I didn't care for now I love.
I asked the water dept in my city if we had hard or soft water. They said it was soft, 40-45 mg/L. At least I have that going for me.

Now you sound like Carl Spackler in Caddyshack

Shave sticks have surpassed any other lather prep for me. The best of the bunch is Mystic Water. I buy the refill pucks and load them into the WCS/Maggards twist up shave stick containers. I load the soap heavily, spread/exfoliate the soap evenly with a wet hand followed by a great badger or the STF XL/Plisson synthetics. This approach gives me the best prep in over 20 years of wet shaving. Haslinger works great too. Simple and perfect every single time. Sticks just work.

Shave sticks have surpassed any other lather prep for me. The best of the bunch is Mystic Water. I buy the refill pucks and load them into the WCS/Maggards twist up shave stick containers. I load the soap heavily, spread/exfoliate the soap evenly with a wet hand followed by a great badger or the STF XL/Plisson synthetics. This approach gives me the best prep in over 20 years of wet shaving. Haslinger works great too. Simple and perfect every single time. Sticks just work.

You can buy Mystic Water in a shave stick now. I just ordered a stick from them.

Michelle's prices are great! No worries there. Takes about 5-10 minutes to fill those refill sticks. One of the Mystic Water pucks fills 1 1/2 of the sticks. Used the Lime this morning. When applied as a stick followed by a damp brush=perfect lather every time:001_smile

bosseb on the forum turned me onto this prep approach.

Michelle's prices are great! No worries there. Takes about 5-10 minutes to fill those refill sticks. One of the Mystic Water pucks fills 1 1/2 of the sticks. Used the Lime this morning. When applied as a stick followed by a damp brush=perfect lather every time:001_smile
bosseb on the forum turned me onto this prep approach.

I ordered the Orange Vanilla. I had a hard time trying to decide between it and the Lime. Next time I think I will try the Lime. Glad to hear you like it. Once you get the hang of sticks it is the easiest way to make lather.

Luc

Staff member
I didn't get a chance to post the Monsavon stick yet but it's coming. I have the picture but didn't manage to get it here yet. I am almost half way with it (15 shaves), that should be next week!

Last edited:
I had my first shave tonight with a Mystic Water shave stick. The scent was Orange Vanilla. It comes in a useful container. It is a nice scent and I did not find it to be too sweet, just pleasant.
It went on nicely. At first I could not see the soap on my face so I think over-loaded it. It made a nice rich creamy lather. This is a very nice product. I know I am going to try another one of their soaps real soon. This one was just great.

$MW 001.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Nice! Do you know if you have hard water?

Top Bottom