What's new

Shave Purchase Sabbatical?

Where did you find this?

They're on the Bay, this was a special order, they had their hand soap available as 2 or 3 LB. loaves but only 4oz pucks of SS, I had e-mailed them inquiring about the lather quality for shaving, ~ 8pm PST. To my surprise, ~30 minutes later they had e-mailed a reply, stating the hand soap didn't contain the Bentonite clay.

She said a loaf scented similar to Drakkar was available and if I would like a 2 or 3 lb loaf, jumped on the two pounder which was mailed today, $8.00.

I'm sure if you contact Mary, she'll be happy to help, you could probably request a specific fragrance.

I should receive it Monday, depends on the weather back East, looking forward to testing a soap without Tallow or Shea Butter, only two I've used, Tabac & VDH Deluxe.

Stumbled across this thread and I see I only had 7 brushes at this time last year.

Now I have 27ish.... I need the 2012 Sabbatical!

Who else is in the 2012 Sabbatical?

Stumbled across this thread and I see I only had 7 brushes at this time last year.

Who else is in the 2012 Sabbatical?

I'm in again for 2012 and like the past 2 Sabbaticals I'll be lucky if I make it to mid January. Having bought 12 brushes last year, your post made me feel better. I did sell and PIF a bunch just to quell the AD, so I'm down to a paltry 6. I still have one I haven't used just in case the urge for a new brush returns.

So are any of the 7 still in your rotation? (not that there is a rational 27 brush rotation :001_unsur)

Do you still have all 27ish? What were your favorites?

Yup. Favorites? Shavemac D01, Semogue 2011 LE, Chubby 3, M&F, Classic 1, SR 3324, my real problem is I like all my brushes.

I should thin the herd.

My Duke 3 was one of the original 7 and it is still well liked. I sold quite a few that didn't grab me.

You will be all relieved to know that in order to save the scorekeepers any trouble whatsoever I have not bothered to become involved in the Sabbatical this year.

What I keep doing, today being the perfect example (I just got back from picking up some Irisch Moos Splash fresh from my Mail Ladies hand's), is saying "This will be the last thing I buy this year." I only ordered it a couple of days ago and the year is still young, so things are looking good, kind of.

Having said that, after Christmas I was telling myself, "Now you really have everything you could possibly need/want (because as a wetshaving enthusiast the line between needing and wanting exists in a constant state of blur) and what more could there possibly be?" I think it is safe to say that most people here understand the statement that there is always something else out there. And really I don't know why I even pretend to play this game because I have been playing it long enough to know that it is all one big cycle and its not about knowing the best shaves because I have multiple possibilities of set ups that can deliver the best shaves, its about EVERYTHING else. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I want something that is different only because I have never experienced it and that while the mystery is truly appealing, when it arrives it will be an inferior product. Or at least this is how I try to keep order because without this it would all be chaos... followed by bankruptcy.

The moral to this story... I don't even know if I was trying to fit one in there, so how about this: I am crazy and I think everyone else is too. At least a little.

I think that came across loud and clear but if it didn't then I should tell you in the same vein as a sabbatical, kind of, I am thinking about going over to the 3017 thread and drinking some of that kool-aid. But I just can't commit yet.

I just realized this might not make ANY sense WHATSOEVER. Because its starting not to to me.

Only one thing left to do...

I'm off to shave

I'd say we can just blame our obsession and purchases to this forum! Everyone is just so friendly and insists we increase our stock :laugh: I only started buying about 2 weeks ago and have racked up two creams/AS/Pre-shaves, 3 brushes (1 being a Simspons :D) and a razor. And plenty more I want...

My last post prompted me to think of something that could "sum it all up"

I give you my new signature...

Crazey

I went close to two years without buying brushes. I had owned more than I could count and was down to three Plissons and a Rooney finest. Hard to rationalize any more when I was so satisfied with what I had. But the temptations of M&F drew me in and before long I had three of them. Then a couple of Thaters, then I decided to have Rudy make one for me. I'm done now at least for a while.

I went close to two years without buying brushes. I had owned more than I could count and was down to three Plissons and a Rooney finest. Hard to rationalize any more when I was so satisfied with what I had. But the temptations of M&F drew me in and before long I had three of them. Then a couple of Thaters, then I decided to have Rudy make one for me. I'm done now at least for a while.

I figure I can use the time I used to spend on new brushes deciding which ones I really want to keep and reduce the herd a bit. Maybe.

Time will tell. I really want to burn through some soaps and creams but find the "one 'til it's done" method (my old method) too constraining.

I'm OK with a Sabbatical, as long as it ONLY covers brushes... :) I went 17 years with only a single silvertip, and now I've got that brush, still in perfect condition, a 2-band TGN 22mm fan in a handle I made, a 2-band shavemac D-01 20mm fan in a custom Rudy Vey handle, a Semogue, and a Shea Soft badger for travel. The RV is about as perfect as it gets, the TGN 2-band comes pretty close.

On the other hand... I remember hitting the "buy it now" button 4 times last night on Amazon, and I can only remember what ONE of the purchases was (a 3-pack "variety" of all 3 of the Edwin Jagger soap pucks). In addition, I just sent dridiot $53 for 200 Feather blades.. I *think* all 4 of the "buy it now" presses were shaving related...

The sad part... I wasn't drinking last night... :scared:

(At least I can partially justify the EJ soaps - I needed a puck of Sea Buckthorn to PIF to a "poor college student" member here - and I don't already own the other two scents.... Which reminds me - I also just received a 12 pack of Arko, and am sending him one of those also - plus the new stick I got for Christmas along with the R.V. brush)

Last edited:
I'm on sabbatical until the Weber folks get their black handle ready to go with the black head. I have enough brushes and razors, otherwise. I do need to buy some more aftershave, but that's one of those things that has to be occasionally replenished anyway.

Top Bottom