What's new

Sharps disposal in a library.

Hard to find public 'Sharps' disposal. Was surprised to find it in my local library men's room
inbound2914399862916720305.jpg
inbound5540663949847985999.jpg

Unfortunately there is a need for library staff to be trained to administer narcan to save lives from OD.
Thankfully, the Narcan is usually a nasal spray. But the staff have to be trained on how to deal with potential drug users, how to handle being threatened with infected needles and how to safely handle and dispose of found needles.

I'd never bring my kid to a library downtown these days.

Libraries are not just for books any more. They are now a warm place to stay and get away from the rain for drug users who may live on the street.

It's for safe needle disposal.

Won't your local pharmacy take them?
Don't know, and now don't need to.

Don't know, and now don't need to.
Ok then.

I'm sure your local library appreciates you bringing in hundreds of used razor blades to fill their sharps bin, which is there so junkies don't have to leave used needles on the ground for kids and staff to find and get infected with.

They probably love it as much as guys taking photos in the public bathroom.

Ok then.

I'm sure your local library appreciates you bringing in hundreds of used razor blades to fill their sharps bin, which is there so junkies don't have to leave used needles on the ground for kids and staff to find and get infected with.

They probably love it as much as guys taking photos in the public bathroom.
Won't take the bait. Nope. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Libraries are not just for books any more. They are now a warm place to stay and get away from the rain for drug users who may live on the street.

To me this really makes no sense, they pretend to protect the kids and you can't smoke almost everywhere but they're fine with drug addicts shooting drugs into their veins in public. I've seen footage of some cities in the US where junkies are openly using drugs and the cops are fine with it lol. Light up a cigar in a place that doesn't allow smoking and you'll get arrested. Twisted world we're living in.

To me this really makes no sense, they pretend to protect the kids and you can't smoke almost everywhere but they're fine with drug addicts shooting drugs into their veins in public. I've seen footage of some cities in the US where junkies are openly using drugs and the cops are fine with it lol. Light up a cigar in a place that doesn't allow smoking and you'll get arrested. Twisted world we're living in.
The way I see it, the disposal bin was put there for occasional use by any sharps (insulin, drug user broken glass) that need to be disposed of "at that time". The same as the diaper disposal in the family bathroom. It is for single use diapers when you are at the library, not to empty a month of diapers you haul to the library.

They aren't there for people to bring their bulk diapers and bulk sharps from home. For these items, people should be able to plan ahead and make suitable arrangements to dispose of those items. It's common sense but not everyone has it.

As for smoking and drug laws, that is a whole other can of worms and they may vary from country to country.

Last edited:
The way I see it, the disposal bin was put there for occasional use by any sharps (insulin, drug user broken glass) that need to be disposed of "at that time". The same as the diaper disposal in the family bathroom. It is for single use diapers when you are at the library, not to empty a month of diapers you haul to the library.

They aren't there for people to bring their bulk diapers and bulk sharps from home. For these items, people should be able to plan ahead and make suitable arrangements to dispose of those items. It's common sense but not everyone has it.

As for smoking and drug laws, that is a whole other can of worms and they may vary from country to country.
This. x100.

Also, it could be possible that a library employee has diabetes and needs a safe place to discard needles. Not everything in this world is because of drug addicts.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Footage? I live in a major Canadian city and this happens in my community daily. Addiction, mental health and safe housing are serious ongoing health issues here in Canada. Nobody’s fine with it. Junkies? They are people. It’s complicated where I live, compassion helps. Anyway, sharps disposal in the public library, who knew? Safety first!

As for the used blades, all you really need to do with your blade bank is seal it up when full, put it in your own trash bin (aim for closer to pickup day, just in case) and trash the entire container.

I don't believe they are recyclable when used (blood & body fluid precautuons), so no point in trying to recycle them.

Footage? I live in a major Canadian city and this happens in my community daily. Addiction, mental health and safe housing are serious ongoing health issues here in Canada. Nobody’s fine with it. Junkies? They are people. It’s complicated where I live, compassion helps. Anyway, sharps disposal in the public library, who knew? Safety first!
Back in the 80ties and 90ties we had a lot of drug users here, I still remember finding used needles at the playground of my school. They got a lot of help getting sober from the governments, now we don't have those issues. I find it so hard to believe that in certain cities in the US are enablers. Even here we had some politicians who wanted to legalize hard drugs, the same people are very anti tobacco. It makes 0 sense to me.

It has nothing to do with compassion, they shouldn't expose kids to these things. Some addicts will do anything to get high, I talk from experience (had some relatives who used to be addicted to harddrugs).

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Some addicts will do anything to get high
Yes they will. About 10-12yrs ago there was a big issue with people walking into a drug store grabbing the largest bottle of alcohol containing mouthwash they could find, walking to the restroom, and drinking the bottle as fast as they could. I ran so many “man down” calls at CVS and Walgreens stores that sometimes we knew the managers by sight. Some of them ended up on emergency dialysis and would be back in the stores 3 weeks later after being discharged from the hospital. If you see mouthwash behind a plastic display this is probably why. It also sucked when they started vomiting green or blue liquid all over the back of your ambulance.

To the OP:

I do admire the fact that you are trying to safely dispose of your used blades, just not sure that the sharps bin at the library is intended for such use.

It's like tossing your old TV in the dumpster behind the grocery.

But, hey, nobody gets hurt. 🙂

Everything is upside-down.

I don't blame the police, and don't believe "cops are fine with it". It is much more complicated, though it still makes no sense.

I believe that most police officers want to do their job but might be afraid of the consequences of actually enforcing the law when nobody supports them. Throw in cashless bail and weak prosecutors and things have spun out of control.

I'm in California .... libraries have become a flop house for derelicts here . Most libraries have security guards full time , some armed . Guys who haven't had a bath in years , some saturated with " bodily fluids " sit at the computers for hours then sit somewhere and take a siesta .. Lots of drug use outside the libraries and brucered is correct , nobody goes in with a double edge to shave , these containers are for the hypos these geniuses use in our treasured libraries ...

Realistically these bins are not to encourage drug users. They are the acceptance of the reality that people are using library bathrooms to shoot up. I’d imagine the only people using the bins are library employees that are saddled with cleaning up.

To the OP:

I do admire the fact that you are trying to safely dispose of your used blades, just not sure that the sharps bin at the library is intended for such use.

It's like tossing your old TV in the dumpster behind the grocery.

But, hey, nobody gets hurt. 🙂

Everything is upside-down.

I don't blame the police, and don't believe "cops are fine with it". It is much more complicated, though it still makes no sense.

I believe that most police officers want to do their job but might be afraid of the consequences of actually enforcing the law when nobody supports them. Throw in cashless bail and weak prosecutors and things have spun out of control.
I can tell you if you see a problem that police are ignoring it is almost certainly due to the district attorney making it clear that certain charges are not going forward. And not trying to start a debate on this particular issue just using it as an example, but if a cop in a state that has "legalized" weed wanted to they could arrest everyone they found with weed and charge with the federal statute, but guess how far those charges would go

Top Bottom