What's new

Shannon's Soaps - Test Ride

Used the Bay Patchouli Grapefruit this evening. The performance is consistent with all the other scent offerings - outstanding! (still the same slick, slick, slick soap). The scent is very, very pleasant. It's a nice grapefruit aroma but not sharp or overbearing. Not being a soap and/or fragrance expert, I'm guessing the bay and patchouli are reigning in the citrus component just a bit without exerting themselves. I like it - it's a winner for me.

I shaved with Silk PJs this morning, and lathered up I swear it smells almost just like MWF to me.

Very nice shave. This soap can certainly take a lot of water. Scent-wise Aussie Ice is my favorite so far.

Wow, just ordered silk pjs and I'd be amazed if it smelled like MWF, since I think MWF smells like fresh laundry. From the scent description I wouldn't think it would smell anything like that, but I'll find out.

I love your reviews, cmh737. When you like a product, you really like it!

Well, I try to present my opinions on as many products as I can, for better or worse. I'm just a "John Q. Customer" that likes to try a variety of products.

Well, I try to present my opinions on as many products as I can, for better or worse. I'm just a "John Q. Customer" that likes to try a variety of products.

Shannon's is on my WTB list. They are around Cleveland and I should get really quick shipping with them, only 300 miles from here.

Had a great shave with the Cafe Mocha. It smells wonderful in the morning. Good quality soaps at a great price. Looking forward to Silk PJS and Woodlands.

New guy chiming in on Mike's vs. Shannon's. After 6 months of wet shaving and finally getting Razor/Blade/Technique dialed in I took a crack at my first Tallow Soaps and ordered Shannon's SP and Mike's Orange Cedarwood. After a few weeks of getting the time/H2O equation figured out (twice as much time as you think, and twice as much water) I have a new guy comparison.

On lathering they are both equal in my mind. As far as performance I just get a better shave with Shannon's, I have no idea why. Post shave again Shannon's is the winner by a nose. As far as scent is concerned its all Mike's is the hands down winner.

So for me Shannon's just gets me better performance results overall. Top shelf product in my mind.

Three new releases just up. I'm thinking of trying the coconut lime next - sounds intriguing.

So I went ahead and ordered tins (one each) of Coconut Lime and Lemon Freeze, and they arrived today. So of course, I had to give each a test lather.

The Coconut Lime is dynamite! It smells EXACTLY like coconut and lime (the coconut part is just like Mike's Coconut, if you've tried that, but stronger, which is nice). And as far as strength of scent, I'd call it moderately strong (I dare say that some may say strong, even) - I love the scent of this one. And it lathered easily and feels as slick as the other one's I've tried.

The Lemon Freeze is straight ahead lemon, but much more subtle than the Coconut Lime, in terms of strength of scent. It's a bit too weak for my preference to be honest, because I like strongly scented soaps. The menthol is detected while hand lathering, but can't really comment on it's strength "feel" due to the fact that I had already shaved earlier today and thus didn't face lather it. But I could smell the menthol. I'm thinking that it's probably mild. One peculiarity noted with this one test lather: it had a different consistency than all the others I've tried. Instead of the dense, "yogurty slick" style, it was rather airy. I actually had a bit of challenge with this one. I'll have to try another brush (was using a synth) before passing judgement.

But the Coconut Lime - oh yeh!!!

I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread because until yesterday I had not heard of Shannon's Soaps. After reading what I assume is every thread on every forum that mentions those search terms, I am extremely excited to give this soap a try. I ordered a jar of NIL which is the unscented formula, my skin doesn't tend to agree with most scented soaps and I've tired of trying sample after sample to find out which ones work and which don't.

My top unscented soap right now is Stirling's Naked & Smooth, performance to value is a huge part of my selection and if NIL holds up to the hype of being even better than Stirling I may have a new favorite. The nice thing about using unscented soaps is that you don't really need more than one, so whichever offers the best performance to value will be my staple soap.

Also, just as an FYI Shannon's Soaps are now being sold in larger plastic tubs instead of the metal ones.

Shannon's is one of the best soaps being made right now (right along Mike's, Strop Shoppe and B & M). They just dont get the same attention as B & M and the likes, since they dont mingle in the social forums or facebook groups, nor have the marketing preseence of B&M). Nonetheless, it should be all about the quality of the soap and in this regard, this soap is basically second to none. THat includes, slickness, cushion, and probably the best post shave feel since MWF. I recommend everyone to pick one of the new plastic tubes. Shave revolution has them now.

Glad to hear that they switched to the plastic tubs (not that the old tins deterred me, per se). It's my favorite soap, and I've tried 178 different soaps/creams/sticks thus far. My favorite Shannon's is Woodlands, followed closely by the Coconut/Lime. And the Nil is one that I keep on hand now and use to mix with other under-performing scented soaps I have just to get extra slickness.

Top Bottom