What's new

Semogue Barbear Classico 2013 LE Cerda

Hello friends,

I'm hoping a few of you have this brush. I've had mine for quite some time but I just started using it. It's pretty stiff right now and I'm wondering how long it takes to break this in and about how soft it will get? My Semogue Owner's Club boar didn't take long at all but this one appears to be made from a lower grade of hair and if memory serves, is stiffer out of the shipping tube.

Great brush. I tried it new then gave it about half a dozen wet/dry cycles before trying it again. A marked improvement. After a dozen cycles it was perfect for me. The soft tips of the 1305 with little splay and great backbone . Perfect for face lathering and loading from smaller soap containers. I found my SOC to take about the same amount of time to break in to my liking.

A true scrubby brush. In true Semogue style it takes some time to break in and for the tips to split & soften - one great thing about the Cerda is that it doesn't splay excessively, like for example the 830. I wouldn't say that the hair grade is lower than my SOC, I would grade the hair from both these brushes roughly the same, however due to knot and loft size differences its a completely different beast. Enjoy.

Great brush. I tried it new then gave it about half a dozen wet/dry cycles before trying it again. A marked improvement. After a dozen cycles it was perfect for me.

This, more or less here. Now it's an excellent member of my den (just two boars, a mixture.. and a few badgers...)

Mine's not broken in yet. It's good right now, I expect it will be excellent when it's broken in though.

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I should mention that I went crazy for this line of brushes. Around the same time I bought a Mistura and a Texugo. I liked both of those right out of the tube but this Cerda caught me by surprise. I'll just treat it like my SOC and the rest of my boars and I'll try to be patient during the break in period.

The Cerda is probably my favorite boar brush. It's the perfect balance of size, a little splay, soft tips, and backbone. Great flow and a good handle. It's worth the break in.

The Cerda is probably my favorite boar brush. It's the perfect balance of size, a little splay, soft tips, and backbone. Great flow and a good handle. It's worth the break in.

Appreciated Jeff, I'm still working on the break in.

Great brush, although I just sold mine. The handle was too small for me. It did take quite a while to break in...not sure it's even there yet.

Awesome brush, but I am digging my 1800 currently...super brush!

Great brush, although I just sold mine. The handle was too small for me. It did take quite a while to break in...not sure it's even there yet. Awesome brush, but I am digging my 1800 currently...super brush!

Thank you too Batman. I'll agree that the handle is too small, and not that comfortable to hold. I don't have an 1800 but I can say I like the Owner's Club boars I have. Plus, the Owner's Club badgers I have are fast becoming some of my favorites. I have a complete set of cherry/ash in both SOC.

Lathered it again tonight after letting it rest for a few days. It's still stiff as a board but I'll be working on it.

Thank you too Batman. I'll agree that the handle is too small, and not that comfortable to hold. I don't have an 1800 but I can say I like the Owner's Club boars I have. Plus, the Owner's Club badgers I have are fast becoming some of my favorites. I have a complete set of cherry/ash in both SOC.

I've had an SOC boar in the past. Wonderful brush, just too big for me. I have a 2000, which some say is just as big.

I also want to get an SOC badger, going against what I just said about the boar SOC. In your experience, does the SOC badger have the same large splay as the SOC boar?

I've had an SOC boar in the past. Wonderful brush, just too big for me. I have a 2000, which some say is just as big. I also want to get an SOC badger, going against what I just said about the boar SOC. In your experience, does the SOC badger have the same large splay as the SOC oar?

Not at all. The badgers have a lot of backbone and will splay, but you have to work at it by pressing pretty hard. I use mostly paint strokes, for what that is worth. Also, the badger knots hold their shape when dry and much better than the boars.

Not at all. The badgers have a lot of backbone and will splay, but you have to work at it by pressing pretty hard. I use mostly paint strokes, for what that is worth. Also, the badger knots hold their shape when dry and much better than the boars.

Me thinks the SOC badger is next on my list....must stop the insanity!!!

Top Bottom