What's new

Semogue 620, will it get better?

I have this garish looking red Omega 11148 with 55/23 knot set in a cheap plastic handle. This brush sometime gave company on travel and work tours. At the price point of $6 it was not the finest boar I have and just got the job done for whatever it is worth. And no, I hardly saw any hair split on this brush, but then it hasn’t seen much action either. But almost 25 shaves on it, I wanted it to behave better and split for softer hair but no joy so far.
11148-rosso.jpg

Omegas are not really known for nice handles so as a replacement for a nice handle and something more refined I got a Semogue 620 after reading the reviews here. Also chose 620 because I liked the knot insert cap in black colour whereas 610 was available only in red insert.
I didn’t like the fake badger effect but I knew it beforehand however what surprised me was the ‘plasticky’ and slippery feel of the hair on Semogue. I have never felt the Omega hair to be anything this smooth and plasticky feeling. Maybe because the hairs on every semogue brush are treated beyond silly?
It had little piggie funk smell but I just use the boars without pampering them for a shave. I don’t think I really liked the 620 in 50/22 knot because the treated hair were all floppy and lumpy after a rinse and the limp face feel did not convert me from Omega to Semogue.
Semogue_620_1.jpg

All said, the biggest surprise was that in 3 shaves so far I had with this brush, it acted like a dodo. I used Stirling soap which is middle of road soap but nothing bad in terms of latherability. But semogue just refused to work and create a usable lather. It took me inordinate amount of elbow grease and almost triple mass of the soap to get a lather that somewhat looked like a lather I normally shave with.

My usual loading time/product resulted in a soapy mess looking like over-watered brushless cream goop. I have good handle on my wet shaving technique and shaving gear and never have come across anything like this before. I do know that boars hog the lather before improving with future shaves but even my little Omega did not eat 3 times of the normal soap without burping on its first outing.
Right now the 620 just stands with some lather that I made and left it on the brush. The only promising part of brush is the handle, which I liked very much but it is on smaller side overall, for my liking. I wonder if this brush will improve to better lather making?
For the record I have 4 boar brushes from Omega and I keep them in regular use with MWF and other triple milled hard puck soaps. None of them is out of whack.

3 of 4 Omega brushes I have made terrible lather and gobbled tons of soap in the first 10-20 shaves. The biggest surprise was a recent 10098 that worked perfectly out of the box, immediately split tips, not a single prickly bristle, zero shedding, lathered Proraso in hard water like it was Pannacrema.

Luck of the draw.

It's going to take a month of daily shaves to break the semogue in. Semogues are great brushes. Don't hurry the break in time and you will be rewarded with a lather monster of a brush.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Personally, the 620 is one of my favorite boar brushes. I really wish I hadn't lost it, but I'm sure soon enough I will purchase another one.

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk

My 620 sees the most use, takes time to break in.
Yeah, took me a while to break it in as well. Easiest way for me was to load it up with soap and let it sit overnight, then just stroke it in my sink of hot water. Seemed to speed up the process.

Sent from my SCV36 using Tapatalk

The 620 is probably my favorite brush. I do remember it taking about 20 shaves or so to break in, but it was well worth it. The brush can whip up a lather faster than any other brush I own.

Give the 620 some time to break in before dismissing it.

If your 111148 is still not broken in after 25 shaves, you might try the hot water method. This method has the potential of damaging a brush, but since you only paid $6, it is worth the risk. I used this method on a Omega 10098 Pro and it worked beautifully.

1.Clean the brush thoroughly with shampoo or dish detergent.
2. Heat water in a saucepan to about 185 degrees F or you can bring water to a boil and allow it to cool off for a few minutes.
2. Dip the TIPS ONLY of the brush into the hot water for for a 2-3 seconds. Do not go more than 1/2 inch deep as you can damage the backbone of the brush and do not immerse the tips for more than a few seconds.
3. Remove the brush from the hot water and allow the steam to evaporate. After 10-15 seconds cooling time, repeat the dipping process. Continue to repeat this process until you see the tips of the brush start to split.
4. The 10098 I treated in this manner is as soft as a premium silvertip brush.

I have tried this on a Semogue, but the results are not quite as effective as the bristles have already been processed at the factory.

From response above, I think i can put it down to 'this is a semogue brush'. This is my first Semogue and likely the last as well.
As I said I know boars take a while before they stop hogging soaps but all my Omegas came around pretty quickly so it is too soon to dismiss this brush with just 3 shaves on it. I am going to give it time but couldn't help groaning when I saw that pathetic lather.
Not really a fan of floppy mops for a brush but 620 was touted to be one of the stiffest from Semogue.
@RayClem thanks for hot water suggestion. I will give it a spin. 620 with 22 mm knot isn't really a monster knot. Normally all (a tiny collection of 7-8) my brush knots start from 24MM. So if the 11148 with 23MM comes around better, I am happy camper.

Boars are brushes that need labour of love, I prefer my 620 for hard soaps and face lathering, is my first choice for the LEA Classic, Tabac and CADE.

I get that it might take a while to break in a good boar brush but I just don't have the patience to suffer through months of prickly lathers.

This is 15 mins of work and I got a 11137 brush to really break in wonderfully.
IMG_20190528_195457.jpg IMG_20190528_195435.jpg

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Yes I am keeping cool and waiting out with patience.
4th shave on it and it is floppy as rice noodles. This thing doesn't know what is stiffness. Next time on going to try and soak only the tips and little beyond.
In comparison when dry, my Omega 20102 feel like it is in advance stage of rigor mortise.
620 knot still feels plasticky and set in a weird manner. On one side of knot the hair just part away from each other.
Patience, yes. I have another Omega 011829 waiting in wings and I can tell he is going to really test my patience when I get it on.
Wonder what @Boar Fighter has to say on 620.

Top Bottom