What's new

Seiko Orange monster ?

I am looking at the black Monster. What is the general consensus on this watch?

I gave you a pretty lame recommendation. Here are some more details about this watch.

Price: You can't beat the price. You get an automatic movement for the price of a quartz watch. An added benefit is the chunky bracelet and reminds me of my Rolex oyster bracelet.

Movement: This watch keeps accurate time. Unlike most automatic timepieces, you don't have to wind it. You put it on and it starts up. This is a nice quality of most Japanese automatics including Orient. The only complaint I have is that reserve time off the wrist is limited to 12 to 16 hours before it stops. My Orient manages about 24 to 30 hours of reserve time.

Function: It's clunky but classy. I usually wear it with casual wear but I can see wearing it with a suit. The bracelet is easy to change to either a leather strap or rubber diving strap.

It's a real beauty at a very good price point.

I gave you a pretty lame recommendation. Here are some more details about this watch.

Price: You can't beat the price. You get an automatic movement for the price of a quartz watch. An added benefit is the chunky bracelet and reminds me of my Rolex oyster bracelet.

Movement: This watch keeps accurate time. Unlike most automatic timepieces, you don't have to wind it. You put it on and it starts up. This is a nice quality of most Japanese automatics including Orient. The only complaint I have is that reserve time off the wrist is limited to 12 to 16 hours before it stops. My Orient manages about 24 to 30 hours of reserve time.

Function: It's clunky but classy. I usually wear it with casual wear but I can see wearing it with a suit. The bracelet is easy to change to either a leather strap or rubber diving strap.

It's a real beauty at a very good price point.

If you are interested in automatic watches, the Black Monster is a great place to start. If you can extend your budget the Seiko Sumo (SBDC001) is even better. However, it is an overseas only model, so you have to look a little harder to find one. There are a couple of vendors that will sell to the US market, and you can always find one preloved on the different watch boards.

I'm wearing my orange face Sumo today. Gorgeous watch in the metal, even better than in pics, and really incredible value given the quality

Austin has you covered. I own a Black Monster and really like it. It is a chunky watch, for sure. Everything about the watch is chunky from the bracelet to the watch itself. But, it is a class watch, keeps great time and looks good in anything from jeans to a suit. I have never changed the bracelet on it, and I think I should look into it. It is a great watch as an introduction to automatics at a great price. I agree though, the reserve time is a bit short at overnight and a little longer. If I don't wear the watch regularly, I need to set it every time.

I'm wearing my OM now - I also have a black one....

The metal bracelet is wonderful - has four microadjustments, diver's extension... it's "robust." (Sizing the bracelet is a caution - has a pin-collar arangement... there are how-tos online that will walk you through it.)

I like variety - I got the metal bracelet on my BM; a rubber strap for my OM; and an aftermarket metal bracelet... I swap em around alot.

These are fantastic watches - hardy, accurate, and with a 120-click bezel that just feels right.

And you can read by the lume!

And you can read by the lume!

Thanks Jon for bringing up the lume. This is one of the best features of this watch. Once you charge the lume it will last all night. It has one of the best lumes I have seen on a watch both expensive and budget.

Have to agree with all of the Black Monster comments... I love mine. It replaced my long term Ti Skyhawk as my EDC, and it does work for dressing up and down. Great watch, perfect for getting in to Mechanical...

I liked mine so much I bought an Orange Monster for my son as his 18th birthday present.

Here's a picture of the Black Monster on my wrist.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom