What's new

Seiko 5 SNK809 Automatic

I agree, I've seen a couple in the forums and seiko products are generally rock solid. If you can look past the 37mm case size, I am willing to bet it'll keep you very happy for years to come!

What do you like in particular about that watch? Are you looking for other suggestions on style/manufacturer/movement or just that watch in particular?

Just some thoughts:
The lume for each number is the same. Some people want two dots or something to denote the "12" position for easier recognition in the dark. To me, that's not a deal breaker at all.

The strap is ok, but I'd probably end up experimenting with some slightly "nicer" Nato bands. Also, here's some borrowed pics with leather
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2610/blackoz.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3726/tanml.jpg
I think that watch face with a black leather band coupled with a nice Nato band would cover a wide variety of situations one could encounter.

The black on black is tough for some to see even in the day time. I have a "Black out" Lumi Nox and it can be hard to see for a split second. If it bugs you to have to do anything more than glance at your watch the khaki, blue, or green faced version of that watch may interest you.

It has an unregulated 7S26 movement, but some users report a +/- 2 seconds per day accuracy. I wouldn't expect that good of a performance, but pretty close to that isn't unreasonable. That is well within the acceptable range to me.

If you aren't wanting an automatic in specific, a quartz will do the same "job" without the hassle of resetting the time if you let it sit dormant for a while (SBCA001 or SGD449P).

As for Seiko's military line up, this site has them arranged nicely. I've never bought from them. You could just see if any others catch your eye, copy the model number, and use your favorite retailer to do pricing research.
http://bit.ly/lQB9iW

Last edited:
I have it and love it. I am a female so the case size does not bother me at all.

My brother also has one and receives compliments on it all the time, so I guess the case size is just a personal preference.

It keeps great time too, and looks good on different straps. And it only costs about $70.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have it as well,it has been 3 weeks and i love it. Solid performer, automatic for that price is a deal. My wrists are small so it fits me perfect. If you have large wrists i would not recommend it.

I have had two SNK700 series. Both are practically bulletproof, however not SWMBO proof. One is hers.

I don't have that watch but i do have a Seiko Automatic Diver and that thing is outstanding. Very solid. Highly recommend Seikos!!

I bought a blue one in December and like it a lot. I'm a big guy, too. Honestly, the size is normal to me. I'm not such a fan of huge watches.

If you look at the "Watch Ya Wearing" thread, most of the vintage watches shown there are this size or smaller.

Very nice, durable watch.
One of our favorites.

I think the size is OK.
Not as big as today's 42mm + sizes, but this is no undersized watch.

I just bought one of these last week. The tan one. It's a nice watch, very solid and since I have a small wrist, it fits me perfectly. This is a perfect compliment to business casual attire for me. I've only had it a week but so far it's kept good time. I really like how the minutes are in large numbers around the outside of the dial and the hours in the middle. It makes things really easy to see at a glance. The lume is not that great but you can't have everything at this price point.

For what these cost on Amazon (or ebay) I don't see how you can go wrong as long as the size is right for your arm.

I've had one for nearly 6 months. I do like mine. Very nice movement, small size, doesn't attract a lot of attention (which is one reason why I got it) To me it's a "normal" size watch.
As for tha band, it's ok, it seems a little simple/plain but does the job, when it wears out I'll look at something else.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I ended up buying it. I bought it as a college graduation gift for my brother. I love the look and feel of the watch, though the band looks a bit cheap.

You guys are just a damned bunch of enablers.

Just purchased one AND the black/red leather band...

For so many years I didn't wear a watch, since finding B&B..................

Hate you's all :lol:

You guys are just a damned bunch of enablers.

Just purchased one AND the black/red leather band...

For so many years I didn't wear a watch, since finding B&B..................

Hate you's all :lol:

In the same boat here Ian. I originally stumbled into BB looking for a way to save money on razor blades. Then I peeked into the Haberdashery here one day, an act which is directly responsible for me replacing all of my jeans with Bill's Khakis, two watches, multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, a closet full of OCBDs and BB Irish linen shirts and untold numbers of other things that I never would have known I needed otherwise. I do save money on razor blades but I'm nowhere near being ahead.

In the same boat here Ian. I originally stumbled into BB looking for a way to save money on razor blades. Then I peeked into the Haberdashery here one day, an act which is directly responsible for me replacing all of my jeans with Bill's Khakis, two watches, multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, a closet full of OCBDs and BB Irish linen shirts and untold numbers of other things that I never would have known I needed otherwise. I do save money on razor blades but I'm nowhere near being ahead.

I actually saw this watch on B&B a while ago and managed to hang off but........

I hate to say this but B&B was made for me....before finding old razors and B&B I already had a collection of manbags, sunglasses, watches, led torches, pocket knives....this place has just made it so much worse.... it's such a great support group here :lol:

Oh and compared to some of the guys collections here ( not just of razors ) I can convince the wifey that I'm not even mildly addicted or have spent too much money :lol:

Where did you buy from Ian? Was it in Aus?

Nah Dave, Ebay from Hong Kong. Checked watchseek forums to make sure it was reputable dealer ( ivshc ). Watch $62US ( $60.18AU ) w free shipping, the leather band and shipping $17.91US ( $17.39AU ) ... so all up $77.57AU. Not a bad deal.

Only thing that concerns me is it's only water resistant, hence why I'm buying the leather band. It'll not only look good but it'll remind me to take it off before going too close to water :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom