What's new

Seeking First Straight Razor Advice

Howdy Everyone!

I use a Merkur Futur Adjustable razor with a Feather Blade. I would like to try my hand at using a straight razor, but I have a question first. Can I use a straight razor with one hand? I have Cerebral Palsy on my left side and do not have the dexterity as my right side does. I can certainly try. Or would using a Japanese Straight razor be a better way to go without having to stroph etc. What would you suggest?
Thank you for your time!
Best, Jerry Johnston

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure can, Jerry. Many straight shavers only use one hand (typically their dominant hand). If stropping is a concern for you, please don't let it be. A strop is equally effective laying on the bathroom counter.

I only shave with my right hand as my left feels foreign. I don't think stropping would be an issue. I am newer, so just my opinion.

I shave with only my right hand. It gets tricky on left side but so does approach on across the grain strokes. I think you can overcome the learning of one hand. Now stretching is another thing to consider. Stropping on a block should be OK instead of a hanging strop. I would be careful no matter what.I wouldn't think a shaky hand with a straight is safe at all. I'm sure you will get plenty of advice in the next day or so. Good luck

I meant I don't think safe with shaky hand. Thought I had typed is safe and wanted to make sure I didn't mislead.

You can shave holding the straight razor with the same hand all time. But you will need to stretch the skin with the other hand.

Tip:
1. Put the Futur in highest setting and practice skin stretching, how does it work?
2. Get/make a devette(no gard) and practice skin stretching, how does it work?
3. Get a straight razor, clean and even edge but not sharp, practice shave of lather with skin stretching, how does it work?

This may help you get an idea if it will work for you. And you can do this without spending much money.

It is rather easy to move the skin stretching hand/finger into the blade or handle by mistake/clumsiness when concentrating locking at the blade, especially in the beginning.

In the end you are the only one that can tell how it does work for you.

I only use one hand. I get a small blind spot on my left cheek around my sideburn area on my first WTG pass. I do this small area by feel. I can see my ear so I am not scared of slicing it off. When I say blind spot by feel only, its really not a big deal. A couple small strokes and I am done in that area. The XTG pass I can see perfectly so anything I missed gets shaved on that pass. I can also see all areas on the third ATG pass.

@Talltexan you can definitely do well straight shaving with just one hand. My son has CP, with hemiplegia on his right side, so I will be teaching him to use one hand as well, if he decides to shave with a straight. And skin stretching can be accomplished in many different ways with your off-hand. If, like my son, you can still put your hand in position, you could use the outside of your thumb joint to hold the skin, combined with a head lean/twist away from the side you are shaving. You may want to use an alum block to get more friction on the outside of your thumb, but you won't have to have the same finger dexterity that actually using the razor requires.

As for stropping, you could do just fine with that as well.

Good luck!

There is not really a "right or wrong" way to shave- everyone is different! For example I am comfortable using both hands with a straight but my neck ATG I do both sides with my right.

BTW- I have several "grips" I use and move the scales around to facilitate the shave. It all about YOUR face and YOUR shave :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using a straight razor for many years. Only use my dominant hand. No worries. Actually I don't think I could use my other hand if I tried. Come to think I did try a few times. Not a good ending

Just use it any way you see fit. Bottom line is before 1904 it was the only way to shave. I use my dominant hand for 90 percent of the shave and for a time I only.used that. Don't over think it is what I suggest. Good luck.

Top Bottom