What's new

Seeking Advise for First Badger

I am looking for a first badger brush and would appreciate your feedback. I technically had a badger in the past, two years ago when I gave wet shaving a go, part of a Muhle razor/brush set. I remember the (dark color) badger to be rough on the face. Came and learned along way. Looking for:

• Silvertip or High Mountain (I read there isn't much difference?)
• 24mm (26mm if really worth it)
• Face lathering
• Minimalist design/material for the handle. No funky colors, etc.
• Minimized shedding

So far, I came across these contenders:

Razorock Silvertip 24 Barrel
WCS Tortoishell Silvertip
Fendrihan High Mountain

Muhle has Silvertip knots but I am not sold on their handles (saw them all in person at the Muhle store in London couple months ago) - some are too big and the "traditional" handles didn't appeal to me.

Heinrich L. Tather is another contender. I think it's THE contender but I am no expert. Love their handles and their knots seem highly regarded.

My gut tells me to start with the RR and then move up. I thought I would check with you folks first.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
I can imagine Muhle's more humble grades of badger brushes are somewhat on the rough end of the spectrum. However, I can heartily recommend their Silvertip badger knot and they have plenty of handle options too.

I would get the Thater. The others are less costly, but the quality of Thater along with their knots is a combo that's tough to beat. Thater is levels above the other brushes you mentioned. Not saying they aren't good, but if you can start with great...

marty

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My first badger was a Zenith 27.5mm with a 506 solid copper handle, which isn't available at the moment from this supplier... but here is one with the same handle design but with a black resin handle:

Not the cheapest out there but mine holds its own against some relatively expensive competition.

Edit: I should add... my taste in badger brushes is.... not so soft you can't feel the bristles. Many people prefer the softer brushes with zero "scrub"... I like a gentle scrub... My standard, just for myself, is the SV High Mountain Manchurian brushes but they are pretty costly. Still, I've managed to own three of them, purchased from various European suppliers due to the cost savings.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would get the Thater. The others are less costly, but the quality of Thater along with their knots is a combo that's tough to beat. Thater is levels above the other brushes you mentioned. Not saying they aren't good, but if you can start with great...

marty
I don't own any Thater brushes, but I've read many positive reviews of them.... as you said.. quality. I hate to say it.... but it takes a bit of money to get a great badger brush in my opinion. I just had Rudy Vey reknot three brushes for me.. ones where I loved the handle but didn't like the knot... I had him install the ShaveMac Two-Band Silvertip knots. I used the first one yesterday.. what a lovely knot.

I will second any Zenith from gentle shave that catches your eye. My recommendation would be to contact Rudy Vey and let him help guide you, he uses Shavemac knots which are the equal of Thater. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try to order a full Shavemac brush direct, they have smaller sizes than Rudy carries.

There's a big difference between the various grades of badger hair. The Pure grade can be rough. The Silvertip grade can be so soft that it's not a great choice for harder soaps. In between is the Finest or Two-band. Maybe you'd like one of those. They are more economical, also.

Take a look at the Semogue SOC Finest badger, for example, which is a great brush, with a bit of backbone to it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You don't always get what you pay for.... but you seldom get that for which you do not pay.... I don't know, but I am of the opinion that a cheap badger brush would be disappointing. I know a lot of people have inexpensive brushes from the supplies who sell through AliExpress but I've never ordered brushes there.

AboveThe Tie had some Badgers for attractive price.

Many thanks for all your responses gents.

@Trollky I am sure Mühle's silvertip knots do not disappoint. I just didn't find a handle I liked.

@htownmmm I read a review article earlier on a Thäter brush which echoes what you wrote: "be cheap, spend twice or ten times". They appear to be exceptional and I do intent to purchase a bulb and fan shaped handle with time. Can't agree more with "but if you can start with great...". I thought that starting with the RR would give me a an idea of a Silvertip knot but I'd be wasting money and time knowing something better is next in line.

@Phoenixkh @APBinNCA Zenith is another great contender. I read RR's most expensive chubby brush is made by Zenith. Shavemac is another top class contender I omitted and I will definitely look into it.

@DesertIguana By the time I wanted to edit the OP, it was too late. I did in fact omit the most important criterion: budget. Preferably below $200. I've used cheap brushes since I re-starting wet shaving (about six months) to make sure it's something I would pursue long term. I now want to invest and make the best of the ritual.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you have a $200 budget, you can find SV brushes at both YourShaving and Gifts and Care... The SV prices fluctuate a LOT.... I paid $160 for mine from those two suppliers but I've seen them there for well over $200. It's odd....

Current Gift and Care pricing: Saponificio Varesino - https://www.giftsandcare.com/es/brand/201-saponificio-varesino?order=product.price.desc

Edit: If you buy from Gifts and Care... don't forget to select the crown you want. They are all listed separately... like a Faux Turtle Shell with the gold crown handle.. then the Faux Turtle Shell with the silver colored pewter crown.

I bought my first one used here on B&B... the new ones take around 12 shaves to break in totally, at least, according to me and several other people.. You can buy direct from SV as well.. but they are usually more expensive, both from the Italian site and the US site. The Italian site has a more complete selection

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m no expert in Badger brushes, in fact I prefer boar. I do however use the Fendrihan High Mountain from time to time. It’s soft, splays easily and covers a lot of facial real estate, if you like that sort of thing. I prefer a smaller knot, here’s a few pics compared to the Berkeley for reference. I know it’s not on your list, but the Berkeley in best feels as soft as the high mountain now that it has been in use a while. All that being said I haven’t had any issues with the Fendrihan.
662385AF-6875-422B-9A83-F91F1951CEC3.jpeg
FB3EE56F-57CA-4F51-BFC5-67BC36DC3C2A.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Grading of badger hair is not standardized in any way. Pure in the English-speaking world normally refers to the lowest grade of hair. In France (Pur Blaireau) or Germany (Rein Dachs) you will find this designation even on the high end grades - simple meaning is that only badger hair and nothing else is used.
Even pure comes in three different modifications as I have seen: one color black, one color grey and even banded grey/lighter grey.
Silvertip was normally used for a three banded thinner hair, which is normally soft. Now we have also two-band silvertip....
Don't get me started on the other names: Super (can be two or three band hair), High Mountain White, Manchurian, Blonde Badger, best, finest...
Its a totally confusing world the badger hair....One thing is that a three band hair tends to be thinner than a two-band hair.
A brush is a very subjective thing, what one guy likes, the next one will not. Ask five guys and you get 10 answers.

Personally, for your first better badger I would recommend to stay away from the lower end and spend your money on something that gets a lot of positive feedback on a forum. Your max price should give you a very good badger hair brush.

I wasted almost $40 on my first pure brush in 2009 when I joined, thinking it must be a good brush for that price. I hated it, and it sent me down the brush rabbit hole. Since then I've bought at least 25 brushes, including 8 Simpsons (in Best), 3 Rooneys (3-band), 3 Thater (2 and 3-bands), a couple of Rudy Vey's, a RazoRock Plissoft, and others I try to forget wasting the money on. I agree with finding a handle you like. My favorite brushes coincide with my favorite handles. They include a Simpson Rover in Best, Thater 4215 (24/26) 2-bands, a Rooney (T&H) 1/2 handle in which Rudy replaced the 3-band knot with a Shavemac 2-band, and a RazoRock Plissoft. I hate to admit it, but the RR is surprisingly good. I use that one primarily for old, discontinued soaps because it doesn't chew them up like a 2-band. Enjoy the journey.

@Phoenixkh I tried liking SV brushes but their pewter crown gives me a medieval king vibe. I am more of a monk, lol. It's too bad because their knots seem top notch.

@Ravenonrock Thank you, great comparison. Seeing the Fendrihan up close gives me a better idea.

@Rudy Vey Cheers your info-packed response Sir. Appreciate it.

@njpaddy Thanks for sharing your journey. I realize it's easy to accumulate loads of soaps, brushes, etc. I aim to have a couple/few of the better/best instead. About RR, I tried two Plissofts, 400 silver handle and Bruce, so far. I preferred the knot of the 400. I am ready to jump to the badger side to see what's it's about.

from the one listed and mentioned, I vote HL Thater. Great ergonomic handles, awesome knots, and great quality.
I have 3,
2 x Silvertip 3-band which are the softest brushes I’ve ever used, with decent backbone.
1 x 2- band beehive, soft (not as soft as their 3 band) with good backbone.
These brushes produce quality lather, with great face feel.
I have owned and sold many brushes, but I’ve retained my Thaters
Can’t go wrong IMHO

Top Bottom