What's new

Security cam in detached garage

I want to put a security camera in my detached garage.
would a trail cam or a ring doorbell be best?
I seldom carry a cell phone so would a ring doorbell record a picture automatically?
would a trail cam be visible to an intruder?

I want to put a security camera in my detached garage.
would a trail cam or a ring doorbell be best?
I seldom carry a cell phone so would a ring doorbell record a picture automatically?
would a trail cam be visible to an intruder?
Trail cams come in all varieties and abilities. I recommend an actual security camera that records to the cloud and can send you notifications. Look into Wyze as well as Ring to see if any of them fit your needs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anything will be visible. Depends where you put it.

You don’t want the Ring Doorbell you want the Ring Floodlight, Spotlight Cam, or Stick Up Indoor cams. Can also do a Blink Camera, or any other security camera. They will all record automatically. You just adjust the settings how you want.

I have a set of Blink Cameras that record to a USB hub which I can access over WiFi to view the videos. I also have the Ring cameras which upload to the Ring cloud. They are all basically the same, just depend what features you want and how much you wanna pay for them.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If you go with a wifi camera, you will need decent signal wherever you put the camera, otherwise you will need a wifi extender. Ring makes a wifi extender and it works great.

Trail cams come in all varieties and abilities. I recommend an actual security camera that records to the cloud and can send you notifications. Look into Wyze as well as Ring to see if any of them fit your needs.
+1 on Wyze cameras. I have wired ones but they also have ones that run on batteries. I find them more affordable than ring cameras.

I have over a dozen wireless rechargeable cameras that use the free Cloudedge app. I have at least three different brands that all look similar and work the same. They are about the size of a goose egg. They cost less than 50 bucks each. The cameras take two snap shots and then record about a minute of video when something sets off their motion sensor. My router is inside my house. The cameras work good over 100 feet away outside the house, including inside a garage and camper.

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I have a Eufy C24 indoor cam in my garage (detached), works well. 24/7 recording, stored locally on a 128 GB microSD. ~10 days of storage space.

Also 2 C24 outdoor cams outside, same storage as above. You can back up to the Eufy cloud (or their "Homebase") but I'm leaning toward a Raspberry Pi setup instead.

Top Bottom