What's new

Sebum Gold. Worth it?

Thinking of jumping in the pre-order on their new Latte soap before the pre-order stops tonight. Really want to try their soap and serum. The price doesn't bug me that much but clearly I want it to be worth it.

It’s an interesting product line. A lot of thought goes into the packaging, ingredients and essential oil scents. In terms of shaving performance, I think there are better products on the market. If it’s something you want to try, go for it. It’s a unique product with an excellent post shave. The original Gold smells amazing. Performance is good but it’s not the be all and end all of shaving soaps. It’s a shame that they don’t offer samples.

Last edited:
Probably why they don't offer samples.
I think it’s a combination of that and that it’s not worth the time and effort to sell the samples. This company is not set up for large scale production. They do made to order and preorder soaps. They do not like to keep anything in stock.

For the price it would be reasonable to assume that you are buying the best shaving soap ever created. You need to understand, however, that a large portion of the cost goes into small batch production, elaborate packaging, large container sizes and high quality expensive ingredients that do not have a direct impact on the shaving performance. It’s a good soap but good soaps can (and are) being produced much more efficiently. Often those tried and tested formulas are also slicker and easier to lather.

The extras this company offers, including the custom scent options, are unique in the industry. To some those options might be worth the extra cost. It would be nice to see some plain packaged, small sized, core scent range, soap and serum packages offered in stock and ready to ship. I think those would sell really well.

In terms of shaving performance? No, it's definitely not worth it. You can find cheaper products that perform extremely well.

Reactions: nav
In terms of shaving performance? No, it's definitely not worth it. You can find cheaper products that perform extremely well.
I think the real challenge would be to find a soap that costs more and performs worse!

I think the real challenge would be to find a soap that costs more and performs worse!

F7F6382A-67D5-4962-8524-8E59C303EBB6.gif

This is one of those products where the actual product is average and nothing overly special, but with bespoke packaging that makes up the bulk of asking price.

I mean, 2 butters and 1 oil is hardly a formula that is at the complexity level of a lot of the current artisans.

Does this mean the soap is not good? Or that other artisan soaps are miraculous?
Neither!!

If sebum came without fancy packaging, at the price of Stirling, I would buy it!

(On another note, I don't like the Sebum owner as he is condescending and arrogant!)

Can you elaborate?
Gross misrepresentation of ingredients. Customers were led to believe expensive ingredients are used when in reality only trace amounts, at best, are used. There is no justification for the price based on ingredients. This was discovered & discussed at length approximately a year ago. I prefer not to support companies whose business is based on misrepresentation & greed.

Last edited:
Gross misrepresentation of ingredients. Customers were led to believe expensive ingredients are used when in reality only trace amounts, at best, are used. There is no justification for the price based on ingredients. This was discovered & discussed at length approximately a year ago. I prefer not to support companies whose business is based on misrepresentation & greed.
It also jarred with me that the owner was so evangelical about using only ‘natural’ ingredients, due to his strongly held personal principles, and then he launched the Tonka Bean sub-brand which offered products under a completely different set of strongly held personal principles that had no issue whatsoever with synthetic ingredients.

So ‘principles’ are merely a marketing tactic, it seems.

Reactions: nav

Can you please clarify how you've concluded that some ingredients are used in small amounts? How was this discovered? Did someone reverse engineer the soap, and had done analysis on the ingredients?

Can you please clarify how you've concluded that some ingredients are used in small amounts? How was this discovered? Did someone reverse engineer the soap, and had done analysis on the ingredients?
The findings were shared & discussed at length on a few shaving boards.

The findings were shared & discussed at length on a few shaving boards.

I looked, I googled, I searched, I asked around. This is all innuendos, and gossip. Unless someone has tested a product and can show it's content, then there is absolutely no way to figure what is in a product.

I can say the same thing and gossip about Ethos and their mystery (Illegal labeling) "Ethos Complex". But I won't gossip.

I looked, I googled, I searched, I asked around. This is all innuendos, and gossip. Unless someone has tested a product and can show it's content, then there is absolutely no way to figure what is in a product.

I can say the same thing and gossip about Ethos and their mystery (Illegal labeling) "Ethos Complex". But I won't gossip.
I agree, gossip has no place in this discussion. My earlier statements are not gossip, but rather, fact. That is why I won't buy Sebum.

Top Bottom