What's new

Searching for lost relatives in USA

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I have a question.
We had family members who escaped USSR sometime between 1920-1930 and went to USA and lived in Brooklyn, New York. They were a married couple. Their names were Nathan Blun and Boita Blun. They were Jewish. They had no children, but they had family members in USA.
So my question is where can I find information about these family members of Nathan and Boita Blun in USA?
Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried the US Census Bureau? I'm sure that there's a way to get information from them, but I don't know how or if you have to have special credentials of some sort for that. Of course, the worst that can happen is that they tell you that they can't help you.

Have you tried the US Census Bureau? I'm sure that there's a way to get information from them, but I don't know how or if you have to have special credentials of some sort for that. Of course, the worst that can happen is that they tell you that they can't help you.

There are public searchable census databases, where you can see scanned census forms that were completed. 1920-30 would be long ago enough that the data would be public.

The census website has a page about it, and says you have to look at the National Archives website, but has links:

I found out more information than I thought I would have searching through those records, as people sometimes live together in the same household, there's occupation listing, and so forth. It isn't a lot of information but it can be really important or useful information, especially in building from for doing more research.

Space_Cadet

The census website has a page about it, and says you have to look at the National Archives website, but has links:

The problem is there is almost zero information on the census website, and it says that the records are in National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and in order to search them you have to fill BC-600 form and BC-600sp form. But these two links lead to internet pages that are unavailable. The two links don't work. They give another link for free information: Census Records - https://www.archives.gov/research/census but that too doesn't work.

Last edited:
The problem is there is almost zero information on the census website, and it says that the records are in National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and in order to search them you have to fill BC-600 form and BC-600sp form. But these two links lead to internet pages that are unavailable. The two links don't work. They give another link for free information: Census Records - https://www.archives.gov/research/census but that too doesn't work.

You can make an account on Family Search for free I think (linked to through NARA). I had some issues until I signed in (I must have made an account before). Some things you might have to make a paid account for.

It looks like later censuses are on NARA for free though; you could try the 1940 or 1950 census, for instance.

I searched for Nathan and Boita Blun. There were no Boita Bluns, and several Nathan Bluns but none that would make sense given the information you mentioned.

There were, however, other Bluns living in Brooklyn in that time; several but not so many as to be overwhelming.

There were also individuals who might be the same people but with different spellings; sometimes names changed in records when arriving in the US due to transliteration or other issues. For example, there's a Nathan Bloone originally from Russia in that time frame living in NYC, but I couldn't get to the scanned record without a paid account.

FWIW, there's only three Boitas identified as living in the US from 1920-1950. A Boita Rigione living in Brooklyn in the 1930 census, but married to Humbert, and listed as born in NY from Italian parents; a Boita La Duke born in Washington and married to Elwin, and living in LA, CA; and a Boita Nawman born in Czechoslovakia, living in LA, CA and married to Morris.

Space_Cadet

You can make an account on Family Search for free I think

Made an account and searched. Found nothing. But their email is given there and I've written to them.

Thank you so much for your efforts to help me, @abies

Before retiring in get into public records to find person involved in stories, was pretty good using Newspapers, Property Deeds, Birth N Death Certificates, Licenses, and last just knocking doors in some cases.

Today with Internet there is a lot of searching that can be done on line. Recall a retire SFPD Retired Detective who was person who looked for lots relatives with good success rate. He had a booming business, and made good money at finding people.

Top Bottom