What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Histoire de Parfume Marquis de Sade

Still not sure if I really love this or not but I was craving it this morning.

proxy.php
proxy.php

http://perfumenerd.blogspot.com/2011/04/slumberhouse-jeke.html

Notes: Cade, tobacco absolute, patchouli, labdanum, benzoin

LOL, today I got to be that guy!
Since Vikt was a scrubber, I decided to wear Jeke again today. As I went to apply Jeke, the vile accidentally tipped over on the counter and I quickly snatched it up, but not before spiling nearly half of it. Not wanting to waste the precious juice I wiped up the spill with palm of my hand and spread it on my neck and arms. I knew it was probably twice the amount I wanted to use, but I figured I could keep to myself for a couple hours until the smokiness faded and it dried down to a faint tobacco and woods as it had the other day. Well wouldn't you know the boss would call a dept meeting first thing upon arrival to the office so I quickly rush to the restroom and try to wash it off my arms the best I can, but I could still smell it on my arms and I had it on my neck also. I don't know how strong the projection was, but I sat in the far corner of the conference room and nobody made any comments. Who knows, maybe they enjoyed it as much as I did, but thank goodness I had scrubbed the Vikt or things could have been worse. The smokiness is now gone and I am enjoying the tobacco and woods even more today with the heavier application.

Jeke is Croatian and Serbian for Echo and perhaps that explains why the smokiness came to life again when I went for a run in the evening. Didn't particularly care to be smelling smokey while I was running though.

This is Slumberhouse Wakening Week

Last edited:
Audrey Blavot
by Imaginary Writers

orchid, honey, aldehydes, white musk, shimmering tree bark

I'm very excited to be able to sample some creations of a new line of fragrances that not only incorporates literary references but has made them all up as well - they are all imaginary. The creativity behind the storylines alone - fictitious, of course - are enough to get you excited about the line and a quick sniff of all of them shows that these were not whimsically designed. Audrey Blavot centers around the orchid as a "floral calling card" for a mysterious female writer living in Paris in the '50's. It comes across as a fairly linear floral aldehyde with strong, clean musk notes and a hint of sandalwood. I'm not sure what an orchid smells like, to be honest, but this opens with a moderately sweet almost citrusy smell like the scent of a white flower - not the sweet nectar smell but the drier smell of pollinated stigma or overloaded anthers. Combined with the musk and aldehydes this has a crisp and bright feel, a little too bright for my tastes, which I attribute to the white musk, an ingredient that is not one of my favorites - I prefer skankier musks. A little more honey might tone that down and give it a dirtier feel but also might compromise other notes. About four hours in, however, I picked up creamy sandalwood notes, just a whisper, but they were there and it's my supposition that "shimmering tree bark" is not as synthetic as it sounds but an accord comprised of sandalwood and something else. Late in the drydown herbal/medicinal notes are just barely more evident, possibly from the honey. All in all, a fine fragrance that is somewhat reminiscent of Eccelso and evokes images of lemon cooler cookies even though the main accord is a soft floral. Might not be my cup of tea but I've smelled something like this before from the likes of DSH and Soivohle so I know this would appeal to a variety of others.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Black Aud by Montale. Ok after reading 10,000 reviews, I went for a sample from LuckyScent. All of Montale has this funky, helium filled latex balloon scent in them which I cant seem to kick. This wasn't any different. The heaviness of any oud was not present, just a typical feeling of alcohol based perfume. After two hours there was no scent left whatsoever, not even skin scent. Quite dissapointing really, I don't see what people find so intriguing in this, or any other Montale. Yesterday I tried Black Afghano, which would get almost the same review, except for longevity and sillage was a bit better. Really hoping that Back to Black by Kilian will treat me right tomorrow because it also came in this 3 pack sample. Man...BA though, such a let down. Its a nice fragrance, just not as radical as people been sayin. I was looking for really dark, heavy notes, hash maybe, maybbe some sort of budding marijuana notes, nothing like that ever came through. I hate to go on an oud hunt because Ive been on an AD craze which is leaving me hopelessly staring at the bank statements in amazement, but I have to find that special something because the TF Tobacco Vanille isnt my cup of tea anymore, and it was something different from anything else, it just sets itself apart, and its not even that expensive. Im loathing for a super niche, very different, good sillage, attractive show, moody frag. ASAQ 16 y.o. oud has done that for me, yet it is missing a little something, cant place it yet. Dang it. I feel a big loss going into the world of oud....the price I pay for trying to stay above and separated from the "competition" *sigh*.....

I was looking for really dark, heavy notes, hash maybe, maybbe some sort of budding marijuana notes, nothing like that ever came through.

Dark & heavy, huh? And budding...bud?

You won't find the weed note in oud. You'll find it in weed. Tcharas, by Profumo, has actual hemp oil in its blend. I like it b/c its scent reminds me of dried bud. But in terms of a dark, heavy oud...hmm...sounds like you'd be happy w/either a Cambodian or an Indian oil. Likely an Indian will fit you better than a Cambodi.

Check out Oriscent's Oud Khidr. I have some & love it. I haven't smelled either of them, but his Assam Black Organic & Assam Organic might also float your boat, and they're cheaper than Khidr.

From Agar Aura, I'd sample his Kemenyan oil. It's a Borneo, but it doesn't have the typical, vapory bubbly quality of a classic Borneo. It's darker, smokier & much more interesting. Highly recommended.

Yep. Oud. That's the price you pay. :thumbup1:

"You won't find the weed note in oud. You'll find it in weed."

duh! ;) I was looking for that note in Black Afghano. Supposedly many people found it....

Thanks for the pointers though....been reading a lot about oud... about a month and a half now...

Last edited:
"You won't find the weed note in oud. You'll find it in weed."

duh! ;) I was looking for that note in Black Afghano. Supposedly many people found it....

Not me. I have some, and while I like it very much it doesn't smell like hash to me. Nor, apparently, does it to you. It's nice, it's complex, it's somewhat spicy. But the name & its alleged "reputation" are all marketing & nothing else, as far as I'm concerned.

Audrey Blavot
by Imaginary Writers

orchid, honey, aldehydes, white musk, shimmering tree bark

I'm very excited to be able to sample some creations of a new line of fragrances that not only incorporates literary references but has made them all up as well - they are all imaginary. The creativity behind the storylines alone - fictitious, of course - are enough to get you excited about the line and a quick sniff of all of them shows that these were not whimsically designed. Audrey Blavot centers around the orchid as a "floral calling card" for a mysterious female writer living in Paris in the '50's. It comes across as a fairly linear floral aldehyde with strong, clean musk notes and a hint of sandalwood. I'm not sure what an orchid smells like, to be honest, but this opens with a moderately sweet almost citrusy smell like the scent of a white flower - not the sweet nectar smell but the drier smell of pollinated stigma or overloaded anthers. Combined with the musk and aldehydes this has a crisp and bright feel, a little too bright for my tastes, which I attribute to the white musk, an ingredient that is not one of my favorites - I prefer skankier musks. A little more honey might tone that down and give it a dirtier feel but also might compromise other notes. About four hours in, however, I picked up creamy sandalwood notes, just a whisper, but they were there and it's my supposition that "shimmering tree bark" is not as synthetic as it sounds but an accord comprised of sandalwood and something else. Late in the drydown herbal/medicinal notes are just barely more evident, possibly from the honey. All in all, a fine fragrance that is somewhat reminiscent of Eccelso and evokes images of lemon cooler cookies even though the main accord is a soft floral. Might not be my cup of tea but I've smelled something like this before from the likes of DSH and Soivohle so I know this would appeal to a variety of others.

proxy.php

Incredible notes! I just do not know florals all that well. For me, I prefer skanky notes in the scents I wear. But I have been looking for something for my wife, and the "brightness" of this one appeals. I had never focused on florals, and had not come across one like this, although I am not surprised they are out there.

Interestingly, my understanding is that various orchids smell like all sorts of things including some really rank things. Also, as I recall, many orchids, if not most, have no apparent smell at all. Perhaps the "fern" of the floral descriptors? <g>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom