What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy.php

From a 10 ml miniature bottle

1st real shave since November - been wearing a beard since then.
CADE Spash AS, Atelier Bois Blonds Cologne Absolue - nice combo

For me, over the weekend, MPG Route de Vetiver, until I was pretty much out of the decant I had. I think this was a vintage version, by the way. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether it have changed much over the years?

Today, MPG "-
Cuir Fétiche
"-I do not think MPG has ever made a bad scent (that is a scent I personally actively dislike) that I have had. This one not my fav, but utterly wearable. A civilized leather. Maybe too civilized.

I have both vintage and current RdV and they are very similar. If anything, I'd say the vintage is a bit drier, less fruity than the current version, giving the impression that the vetiver stands out. But they are not far off from each other. MPG Cuir Fetiche is fantastic. I love the interplay of floral and leather, both of which have a "dirty" appeal. By that I mean the floral notes are a combination of white florals lending it an indolic note that blends real well with the leather, which is both tarry and slightly synthetic at the same time. Leather notes are almost always synthetic anyway unless coming from birch tar so I'm not saying anything new but the leather in CF seems to have a bit of both, which is nice.

Jasmine Taj Mahal
by La Via del Profumo
Profumo.it

Sometimes there's nothing more intoxicating that a nose full of white florals. I don't think this is straight jasmine but I get a little something else, perhaps tuberose. On the website, there is no mention of Jasmine Taj Mahal but in a couple of instances there is mention of a jasmine/tuberose/rose combination, which I think is what this is, an accord of those three florals with jasmine playing the central role. Jasmine is one of the few flowers that I love, both in its clean floral state and in it's dirty indolic state. Either way, I love it, along with magnolia, gardenia, honeysuckle, orange blossom, and lavender. (Note that lavender is the only non-white floral in the list.) Nope, not a huge fan of rose or tuberose but I welcome most any floral note if used judiciously. This is pretty much a linear floral, and I expected that much, and that's fine by me as long as it smells good, which it does. I'm currently swimming in an voluminous head-swell of bosomy floral notes that is brightening my otherrwise gray overcast day. However, jasmine is "queen of the night" and I'm thinking Jasmine Taj Mahal might be better suited for night-time wear, preferably by a woman in lace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both vintage and current RdV and they are very similar. If anything, I'd say the vintage is a bit drier, less fruity than the current version, giving the impression that the vetiver stands out. But they are not far off from each other. MPG Cuir Fetiche is fantastic. I love the interplay of floral and leather, both of which have a "dirty" appeal. By that I mean the floral notes are a combination of white florals lending it an indolic note that blends real well with the leather, which is both tarry and slightly synthetic at the same time. Leather notes are almost always synthetic anyway unless coming from birch tar so I'm not saying anything new but the leather in CF seems to have a bit of both, which is nice.

Great notes. I am wearing the MPG RdV again today. Now I am truly out! This is one I will replenish though.

Love birch tar notes. So masculine! Kind of funky, but not in the standard way of things like civet. I know you are a bigger fan of those types of florals than I am, but I get what you mean about the florals having funk too--which is appealing. Makes me think of Lubin Idole a bit in that respect.

Great pic, Bill, as usual.

Hey, on a side note ... how do you like the soap?

Evan, the first outing with the soap was not too bad. I had to rework my lather between passes because I got impatient with the loading of the brush at first, but overall it gave a very nice result. I'm going to keep using it for a few days and see if I get better consistency with familiarity. That said, I think all of my trials were driven by user error/learning curve, not the soap!

Evan, the first outing with the soap was not too bad. I had to rework my lather between passes because I got impatient with the loading of the brush at first, but overall it gave a very nice result. I'm going to keep using it for a few days and see if I get better consistency with familiarity. That said, I think all of my trials were driven by user error/learning curve, not the soap!

Yeah, I've found that this is an extremely thirsty soap. It needs a lot more water to build a slick, usable lather than most of my other soaps. Other than that, it's great stuff.

How do you like the scent?

Yeah, I've found that this is an extremely thirsty soap. It needs a lot more water to build a slick, usable lather than most of my other soaps. Other than that, it's great stuff.

How do you like the scent?

The scent is great. It paired particularly well with the Red Vetyver. They share a lot of similarities in the scent profile!

L'Occitane Vetyver
That one was in my line-up for today, but at the last moment I grabbed Tom Ford. It has been a while since I last used my L'Occitane Vetyver and what sticks in my mind is an earthy dry-down that I really enjoy. If I don't use it this week then it is a definite for next. My current line-up for the remaining of the week is soapy florals leading into St Patrick's Day.

Creed Baie de Genievre

I was generously PIF'd this by a member and I've very torn on how I feel. It is a great scent but not what I was looking for in a juniper (especially one where juniper berry is the name). I get mostly bergamot and enough that, to my nose, it smells like a refined ToBS Mr Taylors. While I enjoy the scent, I was hoping for more of the bright and crisp juniper/gin scent that I've come to love in juniper sling.

I guess the next step will be to apply them to each wrist and compare side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom