What's new

Sashimi ???

really good sushi place in Winnipeg? where is that? I've had lots of mediocre sushi, but not much blow-yer-sox off stuff.

Ack, I didn't see this post, sorry!

It's called Sushi Maru, just off Cavalier Drive at the west end of the city; they're in a little mini-mall across the street from the Safeway and McDonalds. It's just simple, good sushi. Their phone number is SSH-MARU (I love that!). :smile:

Speaking of Yasuda, and of customs when eating sushi, the short primer on the restaurant webpage is handy. I think most of this has already been covered, but anyway:

http://www.sushiyasuda.com/traditions.html

(Warning, if you like sushi, and click on the "restaurant" link at the top, you are going to get really really hungry....)

-Mo

Ack, I didn't see this post, sorry!

It's called Sushi Maru, just off Cavalier Drive at the west end of the city; they're in a little mini-mall across the street from the Safeway and McDonalds. It's just simple, good sushi. Their phone number is SSH-MARU (I love that!). :smile:
SushiMaru? will have to check it out next time i make it out that far west (i generally ghetto myself to the west end/wolseley/dwntwn triangle).

The best sushi i can remember having here was Wasabi on Broadway. a little expensive as i remember tho.

Love the vido by the way. apparently the comedy duo who made it are quite famous in japan - they even do the PCvsMac commercials over there!

Do any of you fine fellas have comments about sashimi that might help me make a dent in a plate of raw fish? What to look for? What to try? What tastes or textures to expect? The best drink with it? Soya sauce and wasabi?

I have never been especially comfortable with the idea of raw fish, either. Lord knows why, I have loved raw shellfish for years (e.g., oysters, clams).

But one day a few months ago, I took the plunge and ordered "Hamachi", which was described as yellow fin. It was delicious. I had it with wasabi and low-sodium Kikoman soy sauce.

I have wanted it, again, but for some reason have not gotten it.

Tim

Uni's the best- sea urchin roe. One of the great delicacies of the sea.

The goal for us ugly Americans is to minimize our overt barbarism. A good sushi chef will place to correct and appropriate amount of wasabi between the rice and fish. You may tell him (a woman's hands are considered too warm to make sushi, and aspiring female sushi chefs face a glass ceiling unknown in the American business world) that you enjoy extra wasabi, and he'll be happy to accomodate.
The wasabi you'll find in almost every sushi joint is a reconstituted glob of wasabi powder, as the fresh root is seldom seen. I know some expert (probably Scott) will chime in and mention places like Mesa for the sole purpose of making me sick, where you'll be served the real thing grated on one of these
full

but they're the exception that confirms the rule.

Ouch.

If you have tried Uni and liked it you are the man.
You also have great knowledge of sushi. Wonderful.

WALTER

Walter

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ouch.

If you have tried Uni and liked it you are the man.
You also have great knowledge of sushi. Wonderful.

WALTER

Walter

Nah, I barely know squat about sushi, but I'm fair to middlin' when it comes to ingredients and where to get nifty kitchen items.

Like every else, we are each the world's leading expert on our own opinion, from food to cars to shaving cream.

Welcome to B&B, Walter.

Top Bottom