What's new

Safety Razor of the Month - August 2013 : The Gillette Slim

I have a '63 $20 ebay score that I alternate with a futur. I had to adjust one of the safety bars a little, but once I did the shaves were great. I like to set it on 3(I'm a noob wuss).

I just shaved with my '63 Slim tonight... I used a Med Prep blade (6th use) and set it up way on max at 9...
A great shave indeed, it just mowed those hairs away..... it is a razor I could use all the time with quality blades......though something always seems to draw me back to using my other vintage razors.... Red Tip SS and Techs....

John H.

I had 4 more shaves with my '65 Slim since Monday, all with an Israeli UK Personna. Today it was tugging a bit so I think I'll pop a new one in for tomorrow. The shaves have all been nice.

I had moved to open comb Gillettes a while ago after starting out with this Slim back in May 2012. They seemed to give me better results for whatever reason. These last 4 shaves have been quite nice and I haven't felt the need to use another razor. Once this month is up, I think I'll get the Slim back into more frequent rotation.

I have both the slim and fatboy. I used the Slim after only 2 weeks of DE shaving and to be honest i wasnt getting as close a shave as my Merkur 34C. (i had the slim on setting 3).

The followinmg week i used the Fatboy. I loved the heft and thicker handle of the fatboy. It shaved better (although that could simply be my improving technique. It was week 3 of my DE shaving career!).

After the Fatboy i moved onto my Super Speeds (40s, Red Tip and Flare Tip). They were even better! Now i know it is most likely my improving technique. So in that regard, i will be going back to my Slim in about 7 days (after i finish my current rotation with my Super Speed flare tip). I will have had 2 months of DE experience, so will be interesting to see how the Slim will feel now.

I will also move it up to setting 4 since thats approximately equivalent to my Red Tip which i really enjoyed.

I also own the "Laurel and Hardy" pair of adjust-ables from Gillette. I really enjoy using my Slim in comparison to the Fat boy that I own. Each have their place in the collection. As others have mentioned, the numbers seem to be similar with regard to settings of each razor. I have not noticed any difference and can even interchange the same blade from razor to razor.

Frank

I have an H2 that used to be my daily but hasn't been in rotation for a while as I kind of got away from vintage. Time to break it out and give the Germans a break.

Not all Slims were created equal or at least the same let's say....:)

I first became aware of this “Slim variation” when fellow member swamps posted in the score about his purchase almost 2 years ago. I contacted him and inquired about the razor but had little hope really that he would ever consider letting it go. Well I started beating the bushes as they say and saw that there was one other N-3 Slim with the Super Adjustable plate that pasted through B&B a few years back, but it seems as though he may no longer be active here. I have been looking on ebay daily for close to 2 years now and have not seen another to this day.

How these came to be I do not know. Gillette made the N-2 and N-4 Slims with the standard length adjusting plate, but these two N-3 Slims are the only N-3 Slims of any type I have seen so far. Gillette did start making the Super Adjustable during the 3rd qtr of 1968 I believe.

Well it took me almost two years but I finally wore down David, aka. swamps, we reached an agreement and it was a pleasure from start to finish, once again thank you David.

Here is the unique N-3 Slim:
full

And a close up:
full

David has some nice shots of the N-2,3,4 Slim series, maybe he will post one here.............

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to just squeak in for this month's razor! My first Slim Adjustable will be here Monday! Looking forward to giving it a shot.

I have a cased J3 '64 Slim. It was my first adjustable and stared my love for all the Gillette models. I think if someone was only going to have one adjustable, then I would say find a nice slim without hesitation.

I need to get it out and give it some exercise. Fabulous shaver.

After five years on this trip, the Slim still gets a run more often than not. Despite several other TTO's, '47 SS, Rocket, Aristocrat, Fatboy, the Slim still provides the best consistent result without effort.

Still looking for a Slim M3.

a. Birth year
b. So I can shave with a M3

DF

Thanks for your input everybody!

Copierguy, I will happily take your defective mutant N3 and give it a decent burial. It would be the right thing to do. :D

Thanks for your input everybody!

Copierguy, I will happily take your defective mutant N3 and give it a decent burial. It would be the right thing to do. :D

Thanks for the kind gesture, but it seems at home here at "The Wild Life Preserve".....:a54:

Show us yours.....

Well, here's my '64 Slim (J-4), along with a '51 British Tech. Both were passed down to me by my Dad. The Tech is my favourite and sees the most use of the two, but the Slim still gives a great shave and brings back a lot of memories of watching my Dad shave with it.

full

Well, here's my '64 Slim (J-4), along with a '51 British Tech. Both were passed down to me by my Dad. The Tech is my favourite and sees the most use of the two, but the Slim still gives a great shave and brings back a lot of memories of watching my Dad shave with it.

full

That's great when it's of family....Congrats!

I have a slim that I picked up for $2 at a tractor show... I have only ever used it and a gold ball end tech. The tech felt like it wasn't cutting anything, so this is really the only razor I use. I've tried about four blades on it so far, not sure what my favorite is.

Brought out my H4 (1962) Slim for a couple of weeks with an Astra SP blade. Today was the third shave and they have been fantastic. I started another post before realizing this is the razor of the month stating how the the Slim gets darn near the closeness of the shaves I get with my 34C with essentially no irritation. Great razor set at 7 for me!

Last edited:
I have a slim in the mail. I am very excited about getting it. It was my most recent purchase since catching the safety razor bug.

My '67 birth year slim arrived in the mail today. This morning marks the day that I shave with a vintage. Not sure what adjustment I will set but I'll follow the original instructions and perhaps lean towards a mild one. With a Personna Chrome Platinum (2) I hope it turns out just like all of the reports.

Top Bottom