What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

That is a very nice looking razor! Where did you find that one? That would look pretty sweet sitting next to my replated in gold Slim J3. And yeah, replated, that is the only way I find a razor that nice. If you can't tell I am very jealous or envious of you right now.

That one came from a fellow collector, a member of another forum.

proxy.php

Juan Manuel I have a different way of looking at your mystery not based on fact but conjecture what if the stamp is not a 43 and instead is a stylized GW (Goodwill) with the W rotated 90 degrees .I put no weight behind this theory but it is fun to speculate. It would have been used to separate the Bostonian cases from the Goodwill cases for the final set assembly.

Glenn

Glenn, thanks for your contribution, that's a very interesting theory. And considering that Gillette acted in any possible way, it might well be accurate. So, this might be an example of Frankencase too...

I'm sure I have seen another one, but can't remember where.

:thumbup1:

Glenn, thanks for your contribution, that's a very interesting theory. And considering that Gillette acted in any possible way, it might well be accurate. So, this might be an example of Frankencase too...

I'm sure I have seen another one, but can't remember where.

:thumbup1:

I don't think it would be a frankenrazor just that the case was multi purposed . I have not seen it with the 43 case but I also have seen that razor head/handle combination a few times

Glenn

This arrived today after 28 days, a Gold Baili BD17, so far it looks good, the TTO is a bit squeaky, but head opens and closes smoothly and tightly
The head itself is a bit bigger than on my Weishi, and wide enough not to be able to see the tabs on a blade
The handle is a bit thicker than on my Weishi 9306CL, and although shorter, the weight is similar
My only slight concern is the exposed hinges, but time will tell
I'll put it through it's paces tomorrow morning, but so far it looks like I did well for €6,11 including delivery from Hong Kong to Spain.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/111948515499?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

$20160428_103532.jpg
$20160428_103606.jpg

What is your clean up process.

I suggest you start with the BB Wiki.

For nickel over brass razors, like many Gillettes, I soak in hot water and soap......Then, I use Flitz and/or Mothers. I use really thin wash/face cloths and old tooth brushes. Rinse and repeat. For the knurled handles, I get my polish on those thin face cloths and twist the handle in my hand.

You are going to get really good advice on cleaning here. Several approaches. For gold razors, some no-nos.....For silver plated some other tricks.

If you have a question about it, just ask.

Getting a Vintage Gillette looking brand new, imo, is quite the rush and confidence builder. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom