What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

I used the other Colling razor today. Again a really good shave. That’s 2 out of 3 with a good edge. The first one might have just been a fluke.

Maybe I’ll order another ;)
How do you guys order these? Is there a website? The Japanese suminagashi 22 layer white steel looks pretty cool.

IMG_0738.jpeg

Much better shave today. The spine width is much bigger than my 5/8's that I'm used to - so the razor had to be held much closer to my face. I had also not stropped yesterday as I had wanted to experience the honing from the vendor. I think that had something to do with it as well.

One question - how should I take care of wooden scales? Should I use anything to protect it from moisture and water exposure?

By the way, I went back and checked my order - I had indeed ordered a 6/8 - but the razor feels like a 7/8 or larger.
He measures the same way some of the European makers do, from the side of the spine, not the top. HIs 6/8 is a 7/8 razor.

Third day of the Colling razor and I've had enough. The shave was not that great.... so I brought out my scope and magnifier. I don't like what I see. I don't see straight edges, waves and missing pieces etc. Some pics attached.

Can you folks recommend someone who can help on the East coast? I'm in MA - I believe Doc226 is in RI. Is there anyone else?

sk1.jpg
sk5.jpg
sk4.jpg
sk3.jpg
sk2.jpg

Third day of the Colling razor and I've had enough. The shave was not that great.... so I brought out my scope and magnifier. I don't like what I see. I don't see straight edges, waves and missing pieces etc. Some pics attached.

Can you folks recommend someone who can help on the East coast? I'm in MA - I believe Doc226 is in RI. Is there anyone else?

View attachment 1677728View attachment 1677729View attachment 1677730View attachment 1677731View attachment 1677732
Why not try touching it up yourself before sending it to a honemeister? I know you’re a new honer (I’ve followed your progress in the honing forum) but touchups are pretty easy.

I’d tape the spine then take it to your 8k then finisher (1um film I think?). You probably won’t get the chips all the way out but I bet it will make a huge difference. If you’re not happy with your touched up edge you can always send it out.

Just a thought.

Much better shave today. The spine width is much bigger than my 5/8's that I'm used to - so the razor had to be held much closer to my face. I had also not stropped yesterday as I had wanted to experience the honing from the vendor. I think that had something to do with it as well.

One question - how should I take care of wooden scales? Should I use anything to protect it from moisture and water exposure?

By the way, I went back and checked my order - I had indeed ordered a 6/8 - but the razor feels like a 7/8 or larger.
I asked Steve that question when I bought the Olive wool scales. He uses wax on them.

The Colling razors look nice, but, I refuse to do facebook. I tried to contact through e-bay, but my questions went unanswered. I'd like to connect if there was a website.

The Colling razors look nice, but, I refuse to do facebook. I tried to contact through e-bay, but my questions went unanswered. I'd like to connect if there was a website.
Just email him. His email is listed there and he responds quickly.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just checked, Steve is only about 800km (500 miles) away from where I live. If I can organise a few days free, I might ride down and visit him.

Top Bottom