What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

Just for kicks, I looked at the edge with my 60-100x magnifier. The edge looks as bad as my own first honing experience from a week ago. I didn’t use the usb scope as that will touch the edge, I modified the magnifier so it doesn’t. I think I’ll definitely need to send it away to be honed. I’ll still shave tomorrow and post my experience with it.

If I do send it away to be honed, I’ll take pics with the scope first.

He must use a coarse stone and no finisher, or something. I'm a noob when it comes to honing, however. I guess he figures his customers will want to put their own edge on the razor.

Just for kicks, I looked at the edge with my 60-100x magnifier. The edge looks as bad as my own first honing experience from a week ago. I didn’t use the usb scope as that will touch the edge, I modified the magnifier so it doesn’t. I think I’ll definitely need to send it away to be honed. I’ll still shave tomorrow and post my experience with it.

If I do send it away to be honed, I’ll take pics with the scope first.

Ask him what he uses, not all edges look great under magnification. A good coti edge isn't the most beautiful thing you'll see. When I do a coticule edge I don't use any kind of magnification, I just know when it's good. Kind of hard to explain

Maybe so, but it seems most of the maker's razors need touching up when received based on what I've read and my own limited experience. Sellers like The Invisible Edge hone every razor they get before they sell them, and they aren't alone in this. Maybe there is another explanation?

Steve says he uses a mixture of coticules or jnats and normally finishes on a superstone. Now if he only does a few strokes with the superstone I can see the edge not looking perfect. I'm going to shave with mine tomorrow to see how the edge feels.

Legion

Staff member
Maybe so, but it seems most of the maker's razors need touching up when received based on what I've read and my own limited experience. Sellers like The Invisible Edge hone every razor they get before they sell them, and they aren't alone in this. Maybe there is another explanation?
It's just a matter of time and economy. Whether you are a one man operation or a big factory, you need to sell as many razors as you can to make a profit. Spending as much time honing each razor you sell as we spend on out own personal shaving razor is not viable. That is understandable. But it would just be nicer if manufacturers were more transparent about it, because a lot of newbies buy razors thinking they will hone perfectly out of the box and then get frustrated.

And actually it gets worse, because a lot of manufactures will not refund a defective razor, one with say a warp or uneven grind, if the razor has been "tampered with", and by that they include honing. How do you know if there is a fault until you try to hone it?

Last edited:
Well, I put the razor down on a flat surface, hold one end down with my finger and then press the other to see if I can get it to tap. I do this for the edge and spine on both sides.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
They will be seeing the stone’s tomorrow. I never keep an original edge. Not sure which stones yet.
I'm the same as you on this, although I do shave with some SRs "as received" just to see what their previous honing was like
Just got delivery of my razor from Steve Colling. My fears about the bulkiness of the wooden (Bubinga) scales were unfounded. If anything, this is a new blade width for me - that may take some getting used to. Here's a pic. I'll do a shave test tomorrow and figure out if I need this sent out for honing.

View attachment 1674555
Steve makes a lovely looking razor.

With the AUD rising against the USD, Colling SRs are not getting cheaper.

Whatever you decide about honing or not, I wouldn't learn honing on a Colling SR. Choose a cheap and nasty SR out of your collection for beginner honing.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Both @Wid and @kayvee, I stopped looking too closely at edges a while ago. What I was seeing scared me, yet the edges shaved beautifully. Just another reminder that looks don't shave.

It's only the shave test that matters.

Sharp! I definitely wish it were smoother. No nicks but definitely way more burning sensation than I've had in a long time (unscientific alum test).

It may be that I'm getting used to the new blade width. I'm going to try shaving for a few days before deciding to send it out for honing. Focus on shaving angle, take it slow and so on. I'm just so used to my current 5/8 Kropp.

Ask him what he uses,
He pretty much told me the same he told you - "No tape and I use Belgian and Japanese stones but usually finish with a superstone."

Used the newest razor I got from Proserpine razor co. As far as fit and finish, Steve did some very nice work. I really love this razor. It handles like a smaller razor, I’m sure the extra hollow grind helps out there.

I used the factory edge this time. Didn’t do a bunch of testing or magnifying, just a strop and shave.

The edge that is on it is a really nice edge. Do I NEED to re-hone it, no, will I, yes, it’s what we do.

Would I spend the money if I were new to send it to be honed, no.

I am very pleased with the quality of the razor.

IMG_9614.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sharp! I definitely wish it were smoother. No nicks but definitely way more burning sensation than I've had in a long time (unscientific alum test).

It may be that I'm getting used to the new blade width. I'm going to try shaving for a few days before deciding to send it out for honing. Focus on shaving angle, take it slow and so on. I'm just so used to my current 5/8 Kropp.

He pretty much told me the same he told you - "No tape and I use Belgian and Japanese stones but usually finish with a superstone."
Not saying that the razor's edge doesn't need a bit of a touch-up but razor burn generally comes more from shaving technique rather than edge condition (provided the edge is shavable). Try a flatted shave angle, lighter edge pressure against the skin and improving your face preparation.

Not saying that the razor's edge doesn't need a bit of a touch-up but razor burn generally comes more from shaving technique rather than edge condition (provided the edge is shavable). Try a flatted shave angle, lighter edge pressure against the skin and improving your face preparation.
Agreed.

The obvious variable here is the razor - particularly the width. I’ve been shaving with a straight for a few months. The old is 5/8, the new is 7/8.

But I’ll pay attention to the angle, pressure, etc again.

Much better shave today. The spine width is much bigger than my 5/8's that I'm used to - so the razor had to be held much closer to my face. I had also not stropped yesterday as I had wanted to experience the honing from the vendor. I think that had something to do with it as well.

One question - how should I take care of wooden scales? Should I use anything to protect it from moisture and water exposure?

By the way, I went back and checked my order - I had indeed ordered a 6/8 - but the razor feels like a 7/8 or larger.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

One question - how should I take care of wooden scales? Should I use anything to protect it from moisture and water exposure?

By the way, I went back and checked my order - I had indeed ordered a 6/8 - but the razor feels like a 7/8 or larger.
Most of my SRs are scaled in timber. For protection, I wax and polish them (the timber) in beeswax. If you don't have access to beeswax, you can use any timber floor wax that is beeswax based. You could alternatively use Renaissance wax but that can get rather expensive when you have a lot of timber scales SRs.

Don't forget to wax the inside of the scales. For that I use cotton-bud sticks (Q-tips). Rewax about every 3 to 6 months (6 months for me).

Steve (like Ralf) measure their blade size from the edge to the top of the spine wear (German way) and not the top of the spine (English way).

Last edited:
Top Bottom