What's new

Rok espresso machine

I have the previous version of the machine, and posted some information here: Presso Espresso Coffee Machine - Overview
I should post a follow up review and pictures, but in short I still use it a lot and like the coffee it can brew. If mine were to break or go missing tomorrow, I would immediately order a replacement.

If you have any specific questions about it, I can try to answer.

That is a really nice review. I'm a bit hesitant about the number of parts but I'm sure it's easier to disassemble than it looks. Thank you for posting the link here!

I have used mine countless times and have never dissembled it thus far. After a weekend's use, usually 4-5 Americanos made on the same day, I will remove the silicon group head to wash off the coffee residue, but that is it. Then about every other weekend I will wash the top cylinder and pressure chamber out with soap and water. The parts are accessible enough to reach with a soapy sponge and the whole unit fits into the sink for easy cleaning. Disassembly may be needed for a deep cleaning, but that should be very infrequent and not strictly necessary.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've heard it's difficult to produce a good Crema on top of the espresso made with the Rok. Have you been able to produce some at all?

I get Crema, but the amount is dependent on the freshness of the beans and grind. I use a Orphan Espresso Pharos grinder which has been dialed in for my Presso (Rok), but of course the issue is that one needs to make minor grind adjustments for the given bean and its age. My Pharos is stock and I find it difficult to make fine adjustments, every time I attempt an adjustment I seem to go a little too far one way or the other. So after finding a relative sweet spot on the grinder, I make finer adjustments by varying the amount of coffee and tamp pressure. Getting everything right results in needing to give a strong and steady pull on the levers, and great tasting coffee.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Thanks for the info. During the learning process of using the Rok/Presso how long did it take you to build a good Crema? And does it really matter much if you don't get Crema during a press or does the shot come out relatively equally tasty?

Late this afternoon I recorded this pull on my Presso, using 13 day old arabica beans. Nothing special about it, I am just trying to provide a little more insight about the machine. The cup is sitting too low so there is extra splashing and stirring. I usually have a coffee mug sitting there in preparation to make an Americano. I cut the pull a little short in time, thinking that I was going too long. The coffee could have probably flowed another 5 seconds or so if I had continued.

The video is better with sound, but I had issues on cropping the length and getting photobucket to host it without adding more artifacts. So here is a link without sound:
Presso in action

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Appreciate the video. I have been seriously considering a Rok. I like the fact that it's a manual, full control type of maker. I am drawn to it for the same reason I am drawn to manual cars and straight razor shaving. What kind of grinder are you using, by the way? I have a burr grinder but I'm not sure if it's finer settings are fit for espresso.

I use an Orphan Espresso Pharos with the Presso. One which uses the earlier dual lock nut design pictured before the "11-2013 Update" mentioned in the link. I have ordered the single split shaft collar nut, as I believe that will work better for making fine adjustments. The Pharos does a great job, but the dual lock nut system is fiddly when trying to make small precise adjustments.

Most burr grinders can go fine enough for espresso, but some have problems in allowing small enough steps or do not provide a stepless design with enough control in adjusting the grind output to match your machine and current bean.

The ROK (Presso) is the wet shave of coffee IMHO. It's very easy to make awful coffee with one, and there's something deeply satisfying about pulling a godshot from this bare-bones hand lever machine. A large part of that satisfaction is due to the fact that along the road from your first battery-acid gusher to your first delicious, silky, crema-topped shot, you are forced to learn about the importance of roasting, grinding, freshness, bean variety, temperature and pressure. Sound familiar?
My shots usually come out like this guy's. When they don't, I usually know exactly why. BTW, I recommend the naked portafilter: better crema, great for honing grind & tamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCQLWkC9cA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVGodDhK1sA

The ROK (Presso) is the wet shave of coffee IMHO. It's very easy to make awful coffee with one, and there's something deeply satisfying about pulling a godshot from this bare-bones hand lever machine. A large part of that satisfaction is due to the fact that along the road from your first battery-acid gusher to your first delicious, silky, crema-topped shot, you are forced to learn about the importance of roasting, grinding, freshness, bean variety, temperature and pressure. Sound familiar?
My shots usually come out like this guy's. When they don't, I usually know exactly why. BTW, I recommend the naked portafilter: better crema, great for honing grind & tamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCQLWkC9cA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVGodDhK1sA
Nice to hear from another ROK (Presso) user. That was a nice summary the factors under your control with this machine.

Top Bottom