What's new

ROCNEL ELITE BRASS

Very disappointed and unprofessional, paid for a Fedex shipment "expressly written on the site" and then entrusted it to a freight forwarder, with further customs and delivery delays

I hope you guys get your Elites soon if you haven't already! Comparing a similar uncoated brass razor, I tried the Bayonetta today.
Its nice and a good price, but the brass Elite just blows it away on looks, performance and value in my book. I think at $85 the brass Elite was one of the best razor deals ever. I'm debating on keeping the Bayonetta. It's nice but maybe too mild and I'm not thrilled by the dull finish. I'm still impressed by the brass Elite!

I hope you guys get your Elites soon if you haven't already! Comparing a similar uncoated brass razor, I tried the Bayonetta today.
Its nice and a good price, but the brass Elite just blows it away on looks, performance and value in my book. I think at $85 the brass Elite was one of the best razor deals ever. I'm debating on keeping the Bayonetta. It's nice but maybe too mild and I'm not thrilled by the dull finish. I'm still impressed by the brass Elite!
Tomorrow might be the day 😉

For us EU citizens, the math is quite a bit different, thanks to EU import sale taxes and Rocnel's decision to not choosing FedEx but an overpriced shipping agency. In total I paid approx. 155 EUR (~ 165 USD) for the Rocnel vs 45 EUR (~ 49 USD) I have for the Bayonetta, if shipping had to be paid for the latter...

The Bayonetta is milder than the Rocnel? Really?

Well I hope tomorrow is the day! Wow, the prices sure are different with the taxes. I wouldn't like the VAT tax and would buy much less. The Elite was $107 total including shipping to the US after the exchange conversion. And the Bayonetta was 55 with tax. I found the Bayonetta was less effective, a milder shorter lasting shave and not as smooth/comfortable shaving vs the brass Elite. But those are all subjective and ymmv. The Elite is mild also and effective. The Elite is beautiful, seems a bit heavier and the B handle is really grippy. The sand blasted finish on the Bayonetta was a turn off for me but is a good razor for the price.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well I hope tomorrow is the day! Wow, the prices sure are different with the taxes. I wouldn't like the VAT tax and would buy much less. The Elite was $107 total including shipping to the US after the exchange conversion. And the Bayonetta was 55 with tax. I found the Bayonetta was less effective, a milder shorter lasting shave and not as smooth/comfortable shaving vs the brass Elite. But those are all subjective and ymmv. The Elite is mild also and effective. The Elite is beautiful, seems a bit heavier and the B handle is really grippy. The sand blasted finish on the Bayonetta was a turn off for me but is a good razor for the price.
My Bayonetta sure improved with a couple rounds of hand polishing with Simichrome. It looks presentable now. <eg> I haven't tried the Rocnel Elite brass but I sure love my 2022 SS Elite. It's smooth, comfortable yet close for me... and has a lovely sound. I wonder what sounds the brass Elite produces.

@Phoenixkh I thought about polishing it up some on the bench grinder buffing wheel, but I think I'm just going to send it back to Amazon. I've decided its too redundant for me with the brass Elite filling the uncoated brass razor slot much better for me anyway. I'm sure your Bayonetta looks better shined up some! I think they should have left it as machined or polished it. I love the sound from the brass Elite. It is amuses me every time. I just used it and it sounds sort of like walking on bubble wrap it amplifies the cutting sound so much. Maybe its my tough old man whiskers or its the same sound for everyone I don't know. Does the SS Elite sound like that also? I find the brass Elite for me is the same as you describe; smooth, comfortable and a close 3 pass shave.

I hope @Mr Konrad Dundee will tell us about Bayonetta vs Elite Brass how they work for him
You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh I thought about polishing it up some on the bench grinder buffing wheel, but I think I'm just going to send it back to Amazon. I've decided its too redundant for me with the brass Elite filling the uncoated brass razor slot much better for me anyway. I'm sure your Bayonetta looks better shined up some! I think they should have left it as machined or polished it. I love the sound from the brass Elite. It is amuses me every time. I just used it and it sounds sort of like walking on bubble wrap it amplifies the cutting sound so much. Maybe its my tough old man whiskers or its the same sound for everyone I don't know. Does the SS Elite sound like that also? I find the brass Elite for me is the same as you describe; smooth, comfortable and a close 3 pass shave.
To my ears, the SS 2022 Elite sounds like a Fender Telecaster.... bright and clear... as opposed to the Lambda Athena which would be the Fender Strat in this analogy... I love the sound of them both... I was thinking the brass Elite would be more mellow sounding than the SS version I have and be quite delightful.

I hand polished the whole Bayonetta but used a felt wheel on my Dremel to finish up the cap.... It did a nice job.

I had a really enjoyable debut shave with the Elite.

20240226_101452.jpeg
A lot of my impressions already have been presented by other users of the Rocnel Elite, so I'll add some general impressions only.

Overall, it's a very well crafted razor. It feels solidly made and offers quite some heft. The grip of this beauty of a handle is pretty perfect, it reminds my of the Rex Ambassador handle. The sharp knurling kind of glues the handle to the fingers. It's hard to imagine how this handle could slip out of one's hand. One little caveat, though, the razor feels a bit handle heavy. I congratulate Rocnel on the decision to hollow out the handle, because this way the handle/head combo still feels in balance. Almost, at least. But I'll get used to to the weight distribution soon, no doubts.

For my debut shave I loaded a fresh Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge blade and went to work. The combo made for a very smooth shave. There was hardly any blade feel noticeable, the razor likely has a neutral blade exposure. It's an easy to maneuver razor though the head is not a slim one.

IMO, the brass Elite is not an efficiency beast, but it's not a slouch either. I did three very enjoyable passes to deeply enter BBS territory, but the way more important outcome for me was I didn’t catch any skin irritation. That's a big plus for me since my neck skin gets irritated rather easily after multiple passes.

As others have stated correctly, it's very easy to find and maintain a proper shaving angle with the Elite. A very flat learning curve, if one at all.

And yeah, all of you were right. lt's indeed a loud razor. But I really like the unique soundscape. "Popping a bubble foil" definitely is a metaphor which makes sense to me when the whiskers are being cut with this razor. It's not the typical "high pitch sound" you get with other razors which feature a (way too) high level of blade chatter. The brass Elite sounds different in comparison. I like the sound feedback, one literally could shave in the dark with this razor and go by it's sound feedback exclusively without ending up in a blood bath.

I might need to do a side by side shave with the Bayonetta to establish a more reliable conclusion, but I'm under the impression the Bayonetta is the more efficient razor of the two, on the other hand the brass Elite is the smoother shaver of the two thanks to the lower amount of blade feel of the Elite. The Elite is placed in an upper level as far as "feel of quality" is concerned.

I'll try a fresh Feather blade in the Rocnel next. I'm confident the Elite will love this blade.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a "used" brass Elite on the way.... I think it's the "B" handle.... the one JAHE just posted. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Bayonetta for efficiency and to my 2022 SS Elite for both sound and efficiency. The 2022 SS Elite is Loud as well... but a very nice timbre loud... more from the head design in my opinion than blade chatter. I think the Athena and the 2022 Elite are the loudest razors I have.... a Fender Strat and Fender Telecaster, respectively. Both seem to reveal their sweet spots via auditory feedback as well as the normal face feel.

Top Bottom