What's new

ROCNEL ELITE BRASS

Do you like both handles? How do they compare in use?

Mine is the "gecko feet" handle. I think both look great.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim. I like the looks of both, everyone's photos here are great :cool:

My "feet of the gecko" version is still in the packaging, I haven't opened it, so I cannot compare. I had no issues today with the smooth version. The aural feedback had me a bit worried and I was extra careful, but it turned out to be a great razor (well, admittedly after 1 use).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim. I like the looks of both, everyone's photos here are great :cool:

My "feet of the gecko" version is still in the packaging, I haven't opened it, so I cannot compare. I had no issues today with the smooth version. The aural feedback had me a bit worried and I was extra careful, but it turned out to be a great razor (well, admittedly after 1 use).

Thanks. I'll stay tuned.

Happy shaves,

Jim

IMG_0159.jpeg

Lovely 2 Pass’er with Gillette 7oclock Yellow

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Truthfully it’s more efficient than I was expecting- like ~3-4 on my Sailor. With the right blade it’s very smooth and efficient 🤩

I did have issues with Wizamet and Perma-Sharp sticking on the posts but no issues with Astra’s nor Gillette 7oclock’s 🤷🏼‍♂️

A wonderful shaver and a steal for the $$$
I used mine for the first time Monday night... Since I'm a one and done guy, I removed the Perma-Sharp blade after the shave.... It also was a bit tight on the posts as you experienced, but I sort of pried it from both ends and got it out without a mishap, thankfully. I know I could gently sand or polish the posts to get them just a tad thinner, but at this point, I don't think it will be necessary.... brass is soft enough that the stainless steel blades might do the job for me over time.

The shave was wonderful.... I'll use the 2022 SS Elite next shave to compare, but I really think they are more similar than different. The main thing I see is how the SS Elite has curved edges toward the blade and the brass Elite is a perfect rectangle. I'll know if this affects the shave at all after I use the SS Elite again.

All my razors fall into that upper mild to lower medium efficiency zone. I'd say the brass Elite is at the upper end of that scale.... For me, very efficient... 12 hour shaves easily accomplished with very little buffing required. I always have to pay attention to my chin no matter which razor I use. The brass Elite addressed that area with zero drama. For me, it's smooth and comfortable yet close.

I also think it's a steal that the price. It seems more refined than the brass Goodfellas Smile Bayonetta, but again, the shaves are pretty similar... with the Bayonetta being just a tad less efficient, perhaps. I need to do a head to head comparison, but I have a couple other projects in the works so it will be a while before I get to that.

I would say... if a brass Elite shows up on BST at or near the retail price... grab it. I plan to keep mine even though I have the 2202 SS Elite, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone who has both ends up selling one or the other of theirs.

A side note: I really wish these companies who release these inexpensive brass razors would offer an accompanying razor stand. I have mine sitting in a RazoRock SS variable width inkwell stand at the moment.... Not my favorite look but better than it lying down on the countertop.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used mine for the first time Monday night... Since I'm a one and done guy, I removed the Perma-Sharp blade after the shave.... It also was a bit tight on the posts as you experienced, but I sort of pried it from both ends and got it out without a mishap, thankfully. I know I could gently sand or polish the posts to get them just a tad thinner, but at this point, I don't think it will be necessary.... brass is soft enough that the stainless steel blades might do the job for me over time.

The shave was wonderful.... I'll use the 2022 SS Elite next shave to compare, but I really think they are more similar than different. The main thing I see is how the SS Elite has curved edges toward the blade and the brass Elite is a perfect rectangle. I'll know if this affects the shave at all after I use the SS Elite again.

All my razors fall into that upper mild to lower medium efficiency zone. I'd say the brass Elite is at the upper end of that scale.... For me, very efficient... 12 hour shaves easily accomplished with very little buffing required. I always have to pay attention to my chin no matter which razor I use. The brass Elite addressed that area with zero drama. For me, it's smooth and comfortable yet close.

I also think it's a steal that the price. It seems more refined than the brass Goodfellas Smile Bayonetta, but again, the shaves are pretty similar... with the Bayonetta being just a tad less efficient, perhaps. I need to do a head to head comparison, but I have a couple other projects in the works so it will be a while before I get to that.

I would say... if a brass Elite shows up on BST at or near the retail price... grab it. I plan to keep mine even though I have the 2202 SS Elite, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone who has both ends up selling one or the other of theirs.

A side note: I really wish these companies who release these inexpensive brass razors would offer an accompanying razor stand. I have mine sitting in a RazoRock SS variable width inkwell stand at the moment.... Not my favorite look but better than it lying down on the countertop.

Thanks for the comparison. I'm probably skipping the non-brass Elites, but could change my mind.

3-20-24.Elite.Brass.OnRexStand.640.JPG

This is a Rex stand.

I don't much like the look. Not a perfect fit, it's plenty okay.

I believe the Opgress stand would work fine, too, but I don't have one. I use a Rex stand for my Opgress.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the comparison. I'm probably skipping the non-brass Elites, but could change my mind.

View attachment 1815465

This is a Rex stand.

I don't much like the look. Not a perfect fit, it's plenty okay.

I believe the Opgress stand would work fine, too, but I don't have one. I use a Rex stand for my Opgress.

Happy shaves,

Jim
1710948506499.png

it could go well?

Diameter: 33mm
Shank height: 20 mm
Shank diameter: 5mm

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think maybe the Sailor stand will work, too, but...
Same problem: pretty pricey for an inexpensive razor. And the metals wouldn’t match.

I’m using a black ATT aluminum stand for my Bayonetta and it works. I don’t care for the look of brass or bronze with SS, but that’s just one of my many oddities. <eg>

Rocnel Elite Brass - Proraso Blu - DSCosmetic Brush - Zingari RS unscented - Wizamet Iridium

What can I say... first of all I put the price as "a real bargain", secondly the razor is of unique beauty, well made and with the right weight thanks to the hollow handle the balance is perfect and it holds very well in the hand.
The shaving...razor that has a particular sound, you can hear it singing despite not having an exaggerated blade exposure "almost neutral or slightly exposed" remains effective without making the blade heard, a very comfortable and effective razor
A pleasure to use razors so well built and with a good effective cut, if you have the chance "get it" you won't be disappointed... I'm forced to use it only with sharp blades otherwise it tends to be a mild razor "but I speak for myself , therefore strictly personal"
Happy shaving everyone

photo_2024-04-02_16-43-19.jpg

Top Bottom