What's new

RIP Shirley

He started out as an actor in serious roles - but his humor is what he will be remembered for. May be rest in peace.

A national treasure (proud Canuck here) who will truly be missed. Heaven just got a whole lot funnier.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vtcHGdchE[/YOUTUBE]

Just heard a clip of an interview with him on NPR today.

He was laughing as he mentioned how the "Airplane" role gave him a whole new second career.

It was a pleasure to see him perform from "Forbidden Planet" to the "Police Squad" movies.

Last edited:
that reminds me of the scene (which movie) where he has a microphone on and he goes to the bathroom. That scene made my wife laugh so hard she had tears running down her face.

-jim

His TV series 'Police Squad' led to all of the Naked Gun movies- a man well ahead of his time.

I think it twas he who invented LOL- how could you watch a movie of his w/o doing so.

marty

Just heard a clip of an interview with him on NPR today.

He was laughing as he mentioned how the "Airplane" role gave him a whole new second career.

It was a pleasure to see him perform from "Forbidden Planet" to the "Police Squad" movies.

I heard that, too. I thought he was great in every role he played. He was SO good with his delivery when it came to comedy. I'm laughing just playing the highlight reel in my head.

RIP, Mr. Nielson.

We watched 2 of the Police Squad shows the other night from the DVD. The scene where Drebin is in the Orthodontist office, with gear in his mouth, drooling and spitting. My wife was laughing so hard she had tears coming out.

funny stuff!

-jim

that reminds me of the scene (which movie) where he has a microphone on and he goes to the bathroom. That scene made my wife laugh so hard she had tears running down her face.

-jim

In the same movie, he's wrestling with the Japanese Fighting Fish after accidentally tossing Ricardo Montalban's priceless pen into the fish tank. That and after saying to Priscilla Presley, "Let me slip into something more comfortable," comes out in a suit.

That's gold, Jerry!

Top Bottom