What's new

RIP Lou Gossett Jr

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Prolific actor and humanitarian Lou Gossett Jr passed away last night at the age of 87.
Known for the wide array of roles in films he brought to life such as Roots, An Officer and a Gentleman, The Color Purple, and Enemy Mine.
He will be missed.

1000001535.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Loved him in "An Officer and a Gentleman" (and so many other films & characters), & a well deserved Best Supporting Actor Oscar in '87! :thumbsup:

..."Mayo-naise!" 1711747118741.gif

May God Bless Him, Keep Him and may He Rest in Peace. 🙏 ✝️

1711745412415.jpeg "The only time I was really free was when the director said 'Action' in front of a camera or on the stage, and that's when I flew". Louis Gossett, Jr.

Last edited:
I once referenced "the Missing Man Formation for Colonel Chappy Sinclair" on the platoon net one night in the field, at Fort Riley. It got a laugh.

Once during OCS summer camp in Minnesota, the Tac Officers (drill sergeants for officer candidates) were giving us the "hand in your resignation!" harangue. A lot of shouting and theatrics. Army stuff. But we'd heard it before and decided the day before that one of us had to volunteer to say it.

And during a pause in the "give it up and go home" harangue our volunteer belted out a perfect imitation of Richard Gere yelling, "I'VE GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO!"

That totally busted up the Tac Officers. We'd all seen that movie.

My first introduction to his acting was in Iron Eagles, but the movie I'll always remember him for is Diggstown. It's not a great movie, when viewed with a critic's eye, but it's one I love and is special to me because I watched it with a bunch of good friends when I was in junior high. I've since lost touch with many of them, but the memories of our idyllic summers have remained.

Thank you, Mr. Gossett for helping a young kid create positive memories with his friends. May you RIP.

My wife and her college roomies were way into Officer and a gentleman. Few things are as funny as a 5 foot white girl trying to sound as tough as Gossett. I think my favorite of his was Enemy Mine.

I hadn’t heard of his passing til now.

Some indelible memories of my youth are linked to his movies.

Iron Eagle, Toy Soldiers, Enemy Mine and Firewalker!

Firewalker with Chuck Norris was a favorite of my brother and I.

Classic!

Rest in peace Cappy!!

Top Bottom