What's new

Riding the train

Isn't the USA mainly "car country" anyway? How much of a long distance rail network is there, and how regular are services? I'm not sure if an extensive rail network would be economically viable anymore, e.g. from coast to coast?

I would venture to say The Dwight D Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways is King here in the States. Indeed "car country". Developing a high speed rail system in the States is a highly debated topic.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Actually depends on where you are in the US. The Southern states are truck country, Midwestern states are van country, big cities like New York and Chicago are taxi country. There are a few states in the middle that are tractor country. Western US is mostly car country. The far Northeastern states and Upper Peninsula of Michigan is snowmobile country.

Actually depends on where you are in the US. The Southern states are truck country, Midwestern states are van country, big cities like New York and Chicago are taxi country. There are a few states in the middle that are tractor country. Western US is mostly car country. The far Northeastern states and Upper Peninsula of Michigan is snowmobile country.

Let's not forget the Amish.

I grew up in NYC and I know that if they had a subway line to LA
half the city would be on the beach in Santa Monica or Malibu.

I made one two-way trip From San Jose to Seattle -- my first and last trip on AMTRAK. Lousy accommodations and worse management. They had problems with an engine. Did they fix it on their time? No, they fixed it on my time -- pulled the train out of the station so nobody could get on or off and then tinkered with the engine for 45 minutes -- twice. The toilets couldn't be used, and the power was off for most of that time, so it got hot and stuffy. To top it off, once AMTRAK got out of their allotted time slot, they had to sit on sidings for every freight train they conflicted with. As a result, we got into Seattle over six hours late. At that, we were better off than some -- they missed the connection to the east-bound train they were supposed to transfer to at Portland.

I will NEVER ride another passenger train in this country unless it is run by an actual railroad, not a government-subsidized pack of clowns.

I would venture to say The Dwight D Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways is King here in the States. Indeed "car country". Developing a high speed rail system in the States is a highly debated topic.

What debate? It is a fact that rail passenger service in this country will never be as fast or efficient as air travel nor as flexible as the automobile -- it is a relic of the past.

Top Bottom