What's new

Ribeye Steak in my Cast Iron

The other day I felt like having a nice steak. But it was miserable and cold out and it was late so I didn't feel like firing up the Weber. So I tried the cast iron method. I'd never done it before, but have heard that many people prefer it to grilling.
I looked up the recent recipe by the new iteration of America's Test Kitchen. Instead of the usual "sear on both sides and stick the whole thing, pan-and-all into the oven to finish", you heat the cast iron pan up in a 500° oven. (it heats more evenly than on the stove) Then you toss in a generous splash of oil, and sear the steaks, flipping every 2 minutes until the desired doneness. (I pulled at just over 120° for medium rare after carry-over.)

It was fantastic! A well crusted, crispy exterior with a tender, juicy, luscious interior. The only downside was the lack of smoke/charcoal flavor.

I had a nice baked potato and some roasted zucchini wedges with it.

Will this replace my normal summertime method of cooking it over a charcoal starter chimney on the Weber? (aka the "rocket exhaust" method.)
No, I think the smoke flavor is a necessary ingredient, but this method is great for those times when grilling is not available. If I can find a way to fuse the methods though, I might have the most fantastic steak ever grilled!

20170311_202859.jpg

(sorry for the horrible focus.)

I cook my ribeye the same way if I don't grill. After removing the steak I throw some corn into the pan with a splash of Lea & Perrins and mix quickly until heated then add a dab of butter.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Very nice! Looks edible to me! I kind of feel like the cast iron pan is underutilized in today's world. There's not much you can't do with it. You just have to know how.

I tried that on a campout over a regular campfire. I fell in love again with my cast iron skillet.

We are converting our electric stove to a gas stove later this month.

I can't wait to try it again.

-Stephen

I saw that episode a few days ago. It prompted me to go out a buy a 12" Lodge skillet because my largest one was a 10". Now I just need to get the steaks and enjoy.

Now I'm hungry!! Love steak!!

Pan frying rib eye is my favorite way to prepare it. I do a variation of that method:

I season to taste. And then put the rib eye cut into the oven at 350 for 8-15 min depending on the thickness.

I do not get significant juice loss from this.

Then I sear it in the cast iron with butter.

Mmmmmm

I discovered this method not because it was cold outside. I was just too lazy to go out and prep and clean the grill.

I put the CI skillet on the stovetop last night and cranked it up to let it get good and hot. After it was well heated, I tossed a ribeye in and did about 3-4 minutes on one side. Then I flipped it, added some butter, a small sprig of rosemary, and a gently bruised garlic clove. I spooned the butter over it while it cooked for about 3 minutes, let it rest and it was perfect. Best I've had in awhile because I didn't have the energy to fire up the grill.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I put the pan ON my grill outside, so the butter-smoke doesn't reek up the house.

Works even better with (blackened) fish.

PSSSSSHHHOOOUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuu......

AA

Put oil on your steak not in the pan, that way your beef doesn't boil in oil.

At 500F you're exceeding the smoke point of most oils. Outside is better.

proxy.php

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Seasoning is carbonization and this chart clearly shows why you need more heat to properly season with the refined oils.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you are in possession of extra discretionary income and a reasonable cholesterol level, try searing a slice of foie gras in a screaming hot dry pan for an unforgettable experience.

For the smokef flavor, use some smoked black pepper when you season the steak.
If you can't find any, it's easy to make. Fill half of any sized jar with black pepper corns then fill the rest of the jar with your favorite liquid smoke. Put on a tight fitting lid, shake well, place in the fridge for a week or two shaking every other day, strain out the corns, dry back out in a dehydrator.

Top Bottom