What's new

Reproduction old spice mugs?

I have not found anything else quite like it. It's big advantage is being short but somewhat wider at the top. Many of the older mugs were taller and had a narrower mouth making it clank a lot while lathering as the brush hits the side of the mug.

I have occasionally run into soup mugs at thrift shops that are stubby but even larger in diameter. I grab every one I find if it is free of markings labeling it as a soup mug. I have three such white mugs, a mostly white but speckled one, and a red one. Some of these soup mugs have double handles. I have a deep blue one that is really too large but is a wonderful lather bowl. At one time Classic Shaving had white mugs that are squatty and somewhat larger but a reasonable size. I have not looked lately but they may still have them.

One of the closest to the Old Spice mugs I found was at a thrift store. It flared more at the top. It is white with blue markings. I think it was a Ptaf or something like that. I gave it away to someone that I had given a blue handled shaving brush too a few months earlier and he likes how well they look together. You might find one (with the same markings) on ebay.

Not quite what you are looking for, but what may be my favorite mug these days is from Fendrihan, a Canadian purveyor of shaving goods and available on Amazon. It is an apothecary style with a knob for a handle, short and squatty, with a nicely flared mouth. To me it is the perfect size and shape for brushes up to 26 mm. I do like a wider mug for my 28 mm and 30 mm brushes.

Anyway, I hope this may be helpful.

I have not found anything else quite like it. It's big advantage is being short but somewhat wider at the top. Many of the older mugs were taller and had a narrower mouth making it clank a lot while lathering as the brush hits the side of the mug.

I have occasionally run into soup mugs at thrift shops that are stubby but even larger in diameter. I grab every one I find if it is free of markings labeling it as a soup mug. I have three such white mugs, a mostly white but speckled one, and a red one. Some of these soup mugs have double handles. I have a deep blue one that is really too large but is a wonderful lather bowl. At one time Classic Shaving had white mugs that are squatty and somewhat larger but a reasonable size. I have not looked lately but they may still have them.

One of the closest to the Old Spice mugs I found was at a thrift store. It flared more at the top. It is white with blue markings. I think it was a Ptaf or something like that. I gave it away to someone that I had given a blue handled shaving brush too a few months earlier and he likes how well they look together. You might find one (with the same markings) on ebay.

Not quite what you are looking for, but what may be my favorite mug these days is from Fendrihan, a Canadian purveyor of shaving goods and available on Amazon. It is an apothecary style with a knob for a handle, short and squatty, with a nicely flared mouth. To me it is the perfect size and shape for brushes up to 26 mm. I do like a wider mug for my 28 mm and 30 mm brushes.

Anyway, I hope this may be helpful.

Short, wider at the top, break resistant Corelle tea cup.

I'm feeling a bit sheepish. I should have clicked on the link before responding. I made the assumption that the link was to the site of a private collector and Old Spice historian, which I have seen many times. And you all know what can happen when you assume things.

This is a apology to the OP and to all who may have been misled by my rambling post of mugs one might find if they wanted something that approaches the original Old Spice mugs.

The OP's link takes you to a page that has a somewhat of a replica of the original. The size looks about right but I'm uncertain about the shape. It should be noted that the handle is different, and the material is different as all but the very earliest Od Spice mugs were milk glass, not ceramic. This is like what might be an anniversary edition, which I don't know if actually existed. It is a nice looking mug.

If you poke around the web site you will find a mug that is like the labeling style of one of the originals, same shape, handle, and material as above. Also some with Ferrari and Porsche insignias.

Pricing is in British Sterling so I wonder what shipping to the US would be. Otherwise pricing is in line with what one might pay in the US for a used original from Ebay here in the US.

Nice find. Thank you for posting.

Legion

Staff member
I'd be interested to know how that printing holds up.

On the old ones the paint seems king of glazed on somehow, and is quite durable. If the reproduction is more like the mug printing you get where you can put your own photo on a coffee mug, that doesn't last worth a damn.

Also, will P&G lawyers care about this?

The three early versions of the mug in the late '30s-'40s were ceramic and looking at the three I have, I believe the transfers were applied before being glazed and fired (vice the transfers being applied after being glazed and fired). I have an old SeaForth! ceramic mug (w/soap) and those transfers were applied after firing and they are usually found without the transfer intact. I believe all of my ceramic ones have a "crackle" finish/fractured glazing. Shulton supposedly went to the milk glass because of quality control with the ceramic transfer process -- if you look at the mug in the middle, you can see where it shifted after initial application, and another I have you can see where the transfer stuck to the worker's finger and left a mark. The milk glass mugs to the right of the ceramic one are from the '50s and are more upright vs flared like the ones from the '60s - '80s which also feature grippers inside to keep the soap from spinning in the mug. I have an example of the mug complete with box, red plastic cover and unused (for now) soap where the mug states "Made in Belgium" (vs USA) -- I have run across two of those, and they appear to have been made in the late '80s - '90s. The repro mug looks good, would be lighter than the milk glass, and with the flared sides, allow you to work up a lather easier than the old ceramic and early milk glass examples. The only thing it isn't is the real deal if that's your thing. Apologies for the book...
mugs.jpg
MM Monday.jpg

Top Bottom