What's new

Replating service recommendations needed

I do not and never have offered a replating service.
I take my parts to a local brass shop and they take them along with their to a plating shop in Oakland, CA.
I've never had any direct contact with the plating shop.
You can contact them yourselves, but I'm in the custom razor business not the replating business and this topic has caused me to get e-mails for plating jobs which I have to answer and decline.
http://www.goldsealplating.com/information.html

Sorry Bob...,
I posted you on this thread. I "thought" you also did replating.
I apologize if I caused you any grief, I recommend you for custom razors also as I have seen your work and it is beautiful.
I posted to try to help, not be a thorn in your side. Now I know you do not replate, so will not bring it up again:)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I'm considering having a seriously ugly Gillette Red&Black DE replated in gold. I just saw a replate from Razor Emporium (not gold) and it looked pretty good. Anyone have recommendations on them or other replating services?

I take offense at the seriously ugly remark. :001_tt2:

I'm considering having a seriously ugly Gillette Red&Black DE replated in gold. I just saw a replate from Razor Emporium (not gold) and it looked pretty good. Anyone have recommendations on them or other replating services?

First, consider getting it done in nickel. a nickel new is seriously nice!

-jim

I do not and never have offered a replating service.
I take my parts to a local brass shop and they take them along with their to a plating shop in Oakland, CA.
I've never had any direct contact with the plating shop.
You can contact them yourselves, but I'm in the custom razor business not the replating business and this topic has caused me to get e-mails for plating jobs which I have to answer and decline.
http://www.goldsealplating.com/information.html

I've added goldseal to the replating section of the wiki.

-jim

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
First, consider getting it done in nickel. a nickel new is seriously nice!

-jim

I considered nickel, which I think would look real good, but wanted to do it up original. Haven't decided for sure yet.

Dale at Reliable did the Richwood razor I posted a few weeks back. I picked silver just to keep it in its original plating. He did a great job and explains the process to you ahead of time so you know what he will and will not do. This way you have reasonable expectations. He is a small operation so work load, vacations, etc will impact turn around time. He shuts down for the first to weeks of July. I spoke to him last week and he suggests not sending anything until they re-open. By the way, he also told me that his razor business has grown beyond belief and that one customer sends him razors 10 or more at a time. I'm sure some of the growth is the result of this forum.

Mike

Dale at Reliable did the Richwood razor I posted a few weeks back. I picked silver just to keep it in its original plating. He did a great job and explains the process to you ahead of time so you know what he will and will not do. This way you have reasonable expectations. He is a small operation so work load, vacations, etc will impact turn around time. He shuts down for the first to weeks of July. I spoke to him last week and he suggests not sending anything until they re-open. By the way, he also told me that his razor business has grown beyond belief and that one customer sends him razors 10 or more at a time. I'm sure some of the growth is the result of this forum.

Mike

I can only imagine which ebay vendor does that....

-jim

captp

Pics. Come on, Scott, that is one ugly razor, deserving of prettifying. Gold for sure. Well, maybe nickel after seeing The Beav's razor below.

Attachments

• $2011-06-28_23-13-52_311.jpg
    $2011-06-28_23-13-52_311.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 290
  • $2011-06-28_23-10-10_741.jpg
    $2011-06-28_23-10-10_741.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
I'd highly recommend either one of these replaters; you can expect about a 9.2--9.7 out of 10 with regards to results. Replating will not look the same as a factory job and any imperfections, scratches, etc. in whatever you send them might still be visible. Also the plating thickness from piece to piece will not be as uniform as from the factory. In other words. whatever you replate won't quite look like a factory job, but these two take pride in their work, do an excellent job, and you should be very happy with the results.

1. By Onotoman in nickel:

$DSCN3510.jpg

2. By Reliable in silver. The Schick was the head only:

$DSCN3089.jpg

Last edited:

captp

Oh, my, Beav, those are 2 beautiful pieces of work. That nickel is downright beautiful; seriously considering nickel over gold.

Last edited:
I have recently had two 1930's era Gillette "New" style razors re-plated at a local place here in Pasadena, CA. They did a good job. I had one done in nickel for $20, and the other done in gold for $35. If I were to do another I would go with the nickel, as it looks beautiful, costs less, and is more durable. Gold is so expensive that they plate very thinly with it. It scratches easily, and will tarnish (it turns a dull bronze color) where it comes into contact with the steel blade.

Oh, my, Beav, those are 2 beautiful pieces of work. That nickel is downright beautiful; seriously considering nickel over gold.

That would be my recommendation. Nickel looks pretty nice but is underrated since it's so common. Also what T-Dog said applies as well. Silver would look good too; it's a little brighter but not quite as warm looking. PM me with your email and I'll send a picture of both side by side if you'd like.

Last edited:

captp

That would be my recommendation. Nickel looks pretty nice but is underrated since it's so common. Also what T-Dog said applies as well. Silver would look good too; it's a little brighter but not quite as warm looking. PM me with your email and I'll send a picture of both side by side if you'd like.

PM on its way Beav

There is another thing about nickel plating that I like and it may be just my perception. But it seems to glide easier over my face better then gold or silver plated razors. I'm sure it's just me, but regardless, nickel is go to good!

-jim

captp

Thanks for sending the side by side pics, Beav. Since the Red and Black will only be for show, not shaving, I'm still leaning towards the original Gold, but I have a couple others I think I'll do in Nickel.

Since I have the pictures, I might as well post them in case anyone else wants to compare a silver vs. nickel plate. The characteristics of the knurling will have an impact on the results as well.

The razor in the middle is replated in silver and is flanked by two razors replated in nickel.

$DSCN3511.jpg

$DSCN3513.jpg

$DSCN3512.jpg

Top Bottom