What's new

Remember Eggs Over Easy Being Illegal?

Those of the late boomer generation and to an extent that which followed (X? or whatever you want to call it) had such old-time/ or old-world practices as an integral part of their lives. It was merely practicality and a continuation of practices from earlier generations. Some of it out of necessity and some out of "that's the way it has always been done." I certainly find it nostalgic, and indeed very comforting, to reflect back on those things and to continue them in my own life. - Everything from practices to food and beyond. And isn't that why most of us are here in the first place?

Interestingly enough, my wife who is but ten years younger than I (b.1974), doesn't really share that connection to the past. Her grand parents, with whom she grew up closest, emigrated from Germany ca.1950. and were very keen from the start to assimilate into American culture so has considerably fewer such nostalgic things in her life. In fact she is quite turned off by some of the things I partake in.
Indeed, some of it out of necessity, as they were all from the Great Depression era. I fondly recall several stories of what they did to get by. Maternal Gpa's parents somehow got enough scraped together to buy a '38 Buick Century, something unheard of in there area growing up in central KS, but it was quite a thirsty engine at the time and was rarely driven except for Sunday church and special occasions.

Indeed, some of it out of necessity, as they were all from the Great Depression era. I fondly recall several stories of what they did to get by. Maternal Gpa's parents somehow got enough scraped together to buy a '38 Buick Century, something unheard of in there area growing up in central KS, but it was quite a thirsty engine at the time and was rarely driven except for Sunday church and special occasions.
Yes, and probably in the course of their week likely didn't venture more than 5 miles from home. By comparison I travel some 70 miles round trip just to get to and from work - from one side of town to the other and back. In the course of our travels we don't bat an eyelash at traveling upwards of an hour just for something frivolous. Such is urban sprawl and convenience, luxury, and independence of having a vehicle these days. We easily cover in a day what our grandparents would cover in a week or more.

I like Fuddrucker's well enough, but I love In-N-Out. Up until about five or ten years ago, I could still get my burgers served medium rare there, too.

I thoroughly understand regular fast food burger places with thin patties thoroughly cooked.

I also understand that if I am going into an "upscale" burger place and am paying $10-$12 for a basic hamburger, I expect it to be thick enough to retain the juices and be prepared as I have requested it.

I understand that not every place wants to let out a burger that is rare or medium-rare but if I cannot order a burger at least medium, why am I paying upscale prices?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If over easy eggs are illegal, then put me in the electric chair. For decades, I enjoyed mine strictly sunny side up. In college days, I'd have as many as five at a time. I'm still here, all these years later. Never got sick even once.

In recent years, I've kept to poached eggs (now usually just one), as fried ones no longer agree with me so much.

Speaking of eggs, I do greatly miss a traditional, proper, caesar salad, made table-side, in a wooden bowl, with a raw egg. The last time I had one of those in a restaurant was nearly 30 years ago. I managed to 'survive' that one, too. The old gentleman preparing it was an accomplished expert. It was sublime.

Now all they bring out is the same old chopped romaine from the kitchen, but with a different dressing and shredded cheese on top.

All those nice traditional dishes now gone unless you do it at home. But I can still order all the fast food garbage that will fit in the car.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I understand that not every place wants to let out a burger that is rare or medium-rare but if I cannot order a burger at least medium, why am I paying upscale prices?

My thoughts on that always have been simple. If you are willing to take the order, then you need to be willing and able to fill it. If you only will cook a burger to medium-well or more, that's fine as long as you note that on the menu or tell me when I'm ordering mine medium-rare. Don't let me order one medium-rare, bring out a well-done burger, and then tell me "that's just the way the kitchen does it" or some other nonsense like that.

My thoughts on that always have been simple. If you are willing to take the order, then you need to be willing and able to fill it. If you only will cook a burger to medium-well or more, that's fine as long as you note that on the menu or tell me when I'm ordering mine medium-rare. Don't let me order one medium-rare, bring out a well-done burger, and then tell me "that's just the way the kitchen does it" or some other nonsense like that.
I’ve had this happen to me before. Went to a local restaurant a few times for breakfast and ordered eggs over easy and they came out with hard yolks

Same thoughts here. I send the food back if it is not cooked as agreed when ordered. No nonsense accepted.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dogleg:
proxy.php
Below is the current Armed Forces Recipe Service TM-10-412 for Fried Eggs F-7 (egg-citing huh?);

The Army directs that eggs be cooked until both the yolk and the white are firm [not runny and the yolk(s), is set], to help soldiers avoid foodborne illnesses such as Salmonella.

In fact, the CDC (and the Army), recommends against eating undercooked (e.g., Sunny-side Up), or raw eggs, due to the increased risk of foodborne illness associated with unpasteurized eggs. In eggs, both the yolk and whites can be contaminated with Salmonella.

NOTE: CCP = Critical Control Point (Food Service Sanitation)

Works Cited: a) TM-10-412 b) TB MED_530

1699923278454.png

proxy.php
“The present was an egg laid by the past that had the future inside its shell". Zora Neale Hurston

Last edited:
Don't let me order one medium-rare, bring out a well-done burger, and then tell me "that's just the way the kitchen does it" or some other nonsense like that.

That happened to me a little more than a decade ago. I was with a friend to a local hamburger house. I ordered a medium rare burger.

When I received the burger, it was clearly medium well to well done. I took the burger back to the girl at the register who took the order.

At this time, she explained that this was the only way they cooked them. Yet, she said nothing to me anout this, when she took my order. Never ate there again.

I can deal with a restaurant only serving something a certain way. But when they do not acknowledge my order or clarify this at the time of ordering, that doesn't work for me. This is simple enough.

In recent years, I've kept to poached eggs (now usually just one), as fried ones no longer agree with me so much.

As we get older, it is more difficult for us to digest fats, so poached eggs are fine.

But the problem often lies with the highly processed fats in commercial oils, the ones advertised as "healthy".

For these reasons, I only cook using cold pressed natural extra virgin olive oil. I am 69 and I can regularly fry my eggs in it (or any other food) and have no issues digesting it.

Speaking of eggs, I do greatly miss a traditional, proper, caesar salad, made table-side, in a wooden bowl, with a raw egg. The last time I had one of those in a restaurant was nearly 30 years ago. I managed to 'survive' that one, too. The old gentleman preparing it was an accomplished expert. It was sublime.

Same here, it has been at least 30 years or more. Those were the days of better dining...

Now all they bring out is the same old chopped romaine from the kitchen, but with a different dressing and shredded cheese on top.

Yep, that is what passes for a Ceaser salad these days in a restaurant. The Ceaser dressing comes in a gallon jug and the Parmigiano is some shredded crap from a bag.

A lady who manages the cafeteria in an old age home here in Germany (I'm not ready for it yet) told me that they. can't serve aged people fried eggs, because there is the possibility that they won't be sufficiently heated all the way through. They only get scrambled eggs, which come from a carton. I can understand that. I've always had a sensitive stomach, but I do eat eggs fried by my girlfriend.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Eggs right out of the fridge are just too cold to get good sunny side up eggs. By the time the yolk is warm enough to eat, the white is over cooked. I get the eggs out of the fridge 1/2 hour early, or if in a rush place them in warm tap water for 5-10 minutes.

Anyone else use their knuckle to test yolk warmth?

I do the same thing, taking my eggs out early, but I'll do it regardless of how I intend to cook them.

Never done the knuckle thing.

When I was a boy the terrier man for the local hunt lived in our village. He’d served in the British army in Burma in WW2, and if he came across a pheasant or moorhens nest he’d crack a couple of eggs and swallow them raw.
He did the same with hens eggs, drank more than his fair share of ale, and smoked and chewed tobacco.
He was well into his 80s when he died.

This morning while I made myself a couple of eggs over easy for breakfast. I suddenly recalled my first breakfast at Fort Dix, NJ circa 1992.

To the shock of myself and my section we were told that eggs over easy were illegal in NJ and not available, even though we were on a Federal installation.

Does anybody else remember this?

Thankfully I live in Illinois, although we're the state that briefly outlawed foie gras. Over-easy has been my go-to since the mid 70's.

I do the same thing, taking my eggs out early, but I'll do it regardless of how I intend to cook them.

Never done the knuckle thing.
I too let my egg sit out while the coffee is brewing. Then I time my egg by first side for the duration to toast and butter a slice of bread, the second side is the time it takes to pour a cup of coffee and set it on the table.

Top Bottom