What's new

Remember Eggs Over Easy Being Illegal?

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
As a Canadian we always cook our hamburger through so I find it odd that restaurants in the US will ask you how you want your burger cooked.
Wasn't always like that though, may be dependent on area (?), but I remember being able to order medium rare burgers. Probably for the best though, now that I know not to trust the cleanliness of meat grinding equipment I'm probably lucky I'm alive :D

One way I enjoy them

IMG_0222s.jpg

They are delicious. And I am still here. Luck? Maybe.

but I remember being able to order medium rare burgers. Probably for the best though, now that I know not to trust the cleanliness of meat grinding equipment I'm probably lucky I'm alive :D

That is because fresh ground meat was really fresh. I doubt if the grinding equipment is a significant factor?

Any meat is going to have bacteria on it. But that bacteria is on the outside of the meat.

When meat is ground, the bacteria is now distributed throughout the meat.

The key to safety with ground meat is freshness. The bacteria that is initially introduced throughout the meat during the grinding process is minimal.

When eaten freshly ground it is rarely an issue. When the meat sits, as specially at warmer temperatures, the bacteria multiply.

Places like Fuddrucker's grind their meat freshly, on premises. Most other places do not.

Other places have the meat out of the refrigeration for longer periods of time, while forming the patties.

My grandmother made some of the best over easy eggs on the planet. Cooked in bacon grease in a cast iron skillet.
All the time growing up we saved bacon grease . My Grandmother even had a special small container (it sat on the back of the stove) that separated out any solid bits that came out the skillet. She'd spread those on toast. We used the bacon grease any time we cooked something in a skillet. Certainly more so than butter or oil.

Someone mentioned Fuddruckers - are they still around?

As for eggs, I you can get eggs that have been pasteurized in the shell.

I did. Yes, they are, here and there. Still have a great burger. I enjoy their Swiss Burger.

For the price of a Five Guys (or less) instead of a thin 3.7 Oz. Overcooked patty, you can have a nice juicy thick patty, cooked they way you want it.

Probably still the best value for a real burger.
I like Fuddrucker's well enough, but I love In-N-Out. Up until about five or ten years ago, I could still get my burgers served medium rare there, too.

Years ago when I was in grad school, a group of us ventured up to the New England Conservatory for the Boston Camerata's performance of Monteverdi's Orfeo. It was a memorable event because the singer of the title role was sick and they brought in Orfeo himself (Nigel Rogers) as a ringer. Anyway, at a pub afterward with Tom Binkley, he ordered a burger and when asked how he wanted it cooked, his reply was "not very." Sorry for the story. Perhaps there will be one who appreciates it.

So "not very" was my mantra for the longest time. That and "burned on the outside and raw in the middle." However in recent years I've tended to more medium than rare. It's really a texture thing. But, if I'm breaking down a piece of beef for something I will eat a few chunks of raw meat as I do it.

never never ever did understand under done burger meat, but the ground fresh as in the 3 seconds before cooking i can now understand, but no burgers still need killing for the third time, and no one is going to understand a good ole "Steakette" :p

Snotty eggs ... never did me any harm in the last 190 years :w00t: [who the hell would dip asparigrass in a egg?][let alone have it on the plate in the first place] :D

All the time growing up we saved bacon grease . My Grandmother even had a special small container (it sat on the back of the stove) that separated out any solid bits that came out the skillet. She'd spread those on toast. We used the bacon grease any time we cooked something in a skillet. Certainly more so than butter or oil.

Someone mentioned Fuddruckers - are they still around?

As for eggs, I you can get eggs that have been pasteurized in the shell.
Both my Gma's did the same. My maternal Gpa had it on bread for lunch often when he was a school super.
After that, he and a few of the teachers that smoked would go to the boiler room and roll thier own; he lived to be close to 90, walked every day and was in quite good health his whole life.

Both my Gma's did the same. My maternal Gpa had it on bread for lunch often ....

Those of the late boomer generation and to an extent that which followed (X? or whatever you want to call it) had such old-time/ or old-world practices as an integral part of their lives. It was merely practicality and a continuation of practices from earlier generations. Some of it out of necessity and some out of "that's the way it has always been done." I certainly find it nostalgic, and indeed very comforting, to reflect back on those things and to continue them in my own life. - Everything from practices to food and beyond. And isn't that why most of us are here in the first place?

Interestingly enough, my wife who is but ten years younger than I (b.1974), doesn't really share that connection to the past. Her grand parents, with whom she grew up closest, emigrated from Germany ca.1950. and were very keen from the start to assimilate into American culture so has considerably fewer such nostalgic things in her life. In fact she is quite turned off by some of the things I partake in.

Top Bottom