What's new

Regional meat cuts

So I was just on vacation at Cape Cod with my sister and her husband who were up from Virginia. For the first night's dinner, I brought steak tips to throw on the grill. My sister saw them and said "Steak Tips! I'd forgotten about those!"
I was boggled. She was born and raised up here, but moved away after college, and has never seen them anywhere else. Apparently Steak Tips are a New England thing. And they're wildly popular -- there probably isn't a meat-serving restaurant in New England that doesn't have "tips" on their menu.
proxy.php

So it made me think -- I wonder what wonderful, but regional, cuts of meat I am missing out on, that are not typically found outside of that area? Fill us in on some cuts of meat you get near you that you think we all should know about and how we might be able to get it locally....

Here's the story on Steak Tips for you non-New Englanders:

Steak Tips are a very tender cut of meat -- not at all like stew beef or chunks of round or chuck. They look similar to flank steak. They have a rough texture and the long loose fibers absorb marinades like nothing else. You grill them quickly on a hot grill - the marinades typically have a little sweetness to them to enhance the crusty grilled exterior.

I talked with my local butcher what they really are because there's no "cut" called steak tip.

The actual cut is Sirloin Butt Flap Meat. Chris -- my butcher -- even gave me a label off the bulk case he gets them in. It's also sometimes called "Faux Hanger Steak" -- and might be available outside of NE with that name. If not, show your local butcher the label and he can probably get you the same cut.

Chris also told about how they became so popular. It was Frank Guiffrida -- the guy who owned Hilltop Steakhouse -- who "discovered" the cut. (Hilltop was on Rt 1 in Saugus, Mass., and for 50 years was a really famous steak house that was at one time the largest restaurant in America with 1400 seats. People literally came from all over the world to go there. It closed a few years ago.)
Flap Meat was always considered "junk" meat and was normally just ground up into burger -- Guiffridda realized that it could actually be a very tender cut and had a texture that took marinades well -- so he put it on the menu -- and couldn't keep up with the demand. Soon, pretty much every restaurant with steak on its menu in New England copied the idea.
However, Chris also said that if you see them for anything much below $10/lb, then you're not getting flap meat, probably just chuck and it won't be tender and won't absorb the marinade as well.

$steaktips.jpg

$flapmeat.jpg

Here's a good article and recipes for Steak Tips/Flap Meat.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/...r-the-grill-part-4-flap-meat-sirloin-tip.html

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I didn't know cows had a Butt flap....I'll leave this cut to you Jim. Just kidding. I haven't heard of it. I'll ask my butcher.

I guess "tips" are a regional thing? "Rib tips" are a big thing in the Midwest and Chicago. There is a place not too far from home, called "Billy Boys" that serves a huge take out container of the tips, fries, cole slaw and garlic bread for $8.75, more than two bucks cheaper than a half slab of ribs. And from the butcher, the tips are usually 1/4th the price of a baby back

Rip tips are neglected because they come off the spare rib, not the baby back. People are turned off because they have more bones, cartilage and gristle. But all that stuff adds to the flavor and the experience!

You dig into the whole mess and just spit out whatever you can't chew!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I didn't know cows had a Butt flap....I'll leave this cut to you Jim. Just kidding. I haven't heard of it. I'll ask my butcher.

Flap meat is prepared from the internal flank plate, which is from the thin flank. So assume the butt flap meat is just the hind leg end of the flap meat.

I remember steak tips well from growing up in New Hampshire! My Mom would cook them in a mixture of BBQ sauce, ketchup, and some seasonings. Strange concoction, and not very good.

I recently had some excellent steak tips in, of all places, Murphy, NC. Ordered them medium-rare and the chef nailed it. He even rested the tips because juice didn't come running out when I cut into them.

When I saw this topic, the first thing that came to mind was palomilla, the thinly sliced Cuban cut.

Mexico takes a different approach to cuts too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As a teenager in Ohio, I remember Ponderosa steak house. I had always took my meat well done, but one time I decided to try my sister's medium rare steak tips. I never ordered overcooked meat again.

Flap meat is prepared from the internal flank plate, which is from the thin flank. So assume the butt flap meat is just the hind leg end of the flap meat.
Butt for most meat cuts is the butting of the forward shoulders, rump refers to the rear end. So wouldn't butt be the Chuck area of beef?

st louis term for a pork shoulder cut into steaks, a pork steak for bbq on a grill cut in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch thick slabs that are easy to cook on any grill or fry pan

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Butt for most meat cuts is the butting of the forward shoulders, rump refers to the rear end. So wouldn't butt be the Chuck area of beef?

I like your logic but I think the flap meat tappers at the rump end. I'm guessing this is cut off to make a square.

Take a Butt Tender for example, this is the head of the tenderloin which is separated when removing a Shortloin. The shortloin is used for T-Bone.
This is also from the rump end of the tenderloin yet called a Butt Tender.
Then you also have a Sirloin Butt.

Tenderloin

$aberdeen-angus-tenderloin-steak.jpg

Butt Tender

$Butt Tender.png

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Not a specific cut but anyone from Pittsburgh will know about Isleys Chip Chopped Ham, and Ham BBQ sandwiches. I never saw the appeal.

Top Bottom