What's new

Refreshing your edge?

So I have been shaving with my razor for about a month and a half but only shaving twice a week. I am a long ways off of having to refresh my edge but I like to be prepared... Stropping seems to be very straightforward and my razor is shaving well but I anticipate having to refresh the edge in about 4 months. I watched the youtube video that Lynn Abrams posted about honing and he demo'ed refreshing the edge by putting some CrO2 crayon on the fabric side of the strop. Then as that process runs its course using a 12k stone and diamond paste. All of this seems very simple to follow so my question is....Is this a good method to pursue? I would like to be as self sufficient with my razor as possible so I will eventually have to learn to hone the edge as well. But in the meantime the CrO2 crayon method seems like a good baby step. What are your opinions, gentlemen?

Welcome to B&B Hanzo. I prefer my crox paste in a tube instead of the crayon. It's available from Lynn at SRD. I don't use the crox paste on my main leather and linen strop. Purchase an inexpensive cotton, linen, or piece of webbing for your crox stropping material. If you already have a good shaving edge on the razor, it's very easy to maintain with crox paste and a strop. Investing in a 12K finishing stone will refreshen the edge when the crox paste no longer delivers the desired results.

Last edited:
Crox is available from a lot of sources - not just Lynn at SRD.

Personally - I don't like using crox. Never did. Not a big fan of diamond sprays/pastes either. I just don't like the finished results.

TI white paste does fine for me, so does the Dovo black paste.

Crox is available from a lot of sources - not just Lynn at SRD.

Personally - I don't like using crox. Never did. Not a big fan of diamond sprays/pastes either. I just don't like the finished results.

TI white paste does fine for me, so does the Dovo black paste.
I just started experimenting with pastes, I got me some of the TI white. I rubbed about half of the little crayon on a dedicated cotton strop, Is that enough? When refreshing the edge, how many laps should I be doing?

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
When I use the TI paste I usually stay under 8 laps. It doesn't take much. YMMV.

Lots of variables here - David's approach is like my own. Start with a low lap count and see if it needs more.
Don't need a lot of product on the strop either, but I like to think that keeping it 'even' across the strop's working surface matters.

TI pastes works and refreshes an edge well, I do 5-6 laps. I prefer the feel of edges off stones but in a pinch TI paste will do the trick.

Ok I'll lower my lap count, I was doing more like 10-12. Next time I'll start at 5, and see what happens.
White paste, white strop. I couldn't really see where I was applying it. I think I got it on the strop evenly, up down side to side being careful not to overlap the paste. Also when refreshing with pastes, how long usually can you keep the edge going before needing to go back to the stones?

Top Bottom