What's new

Recommendations for an inexpensive first SE razor, please.

I've been shaving with the DE razors for awhile, and I'm getting curious about the SE injector razors. Should I buy a cheap $25 SE injector razor on Amazon, or a vintage Shick for about the same price? Is there a specific model of Shick injector I should go for? What's good?
Input is appreciated, thank you.

If going vintage the Schick M type adjustables are a good starting place. They adjust from mild to agressive.

20200615_142115.jpg

For a new first injector, I suggest you look into the Supply SE.
20220707_074857.jpg

If that is above your price range, the the Parker Adjustable would be my second choice.
20201126_103435.jpg

$25 will buy most vintage Schicks. A good choice to start with would be a G or J. Both are readily available at reasonable prices on Etsy or the Bay or at flea markets or antique shops. Both shave nearly as well as an E type

I can't speak to quality, as I use the DE razors, but I was perusing the Razorock site yesterday and saw several SE style razors for not very much. I know they're a decent company, and put a lot of pride and effort into their craftsmanship.
You might well be able to do better, but I'll wager you could do a lot worse as well. I'd stand by 'em.

If going vintage the Schick M type adjustables are a good starting place. They adjust from mild to agressive.

View attachment 1510341

For a new first injector, I suggest you look into the Supply SE.
View attachment 1510342
If that is above your price range, the the Parker Adjustable would be my second choice.
View attachment 1510343
I was initially drawn to the Supply SE, but it seems to be 100% zinc alloy (pot metal?) and the price seemed to be a little high for that. I guess it would probably last a long time, but...

SE, DE, whatever, I say you can never go wrong with vintage. Hit the antique stores/flea markets/thrift shops, and you can find some terrific bargains. Make sure you get Schick blades. The only ones I've ever used were the Personna injector blades, and I think they're a bit rough. I've tend to lean toward DE or the GEM/EverReady SEs, so I haven't tried any Schick blades yet, but I've read where they are better.

SE, DE, whatever, I say you can never go wrong with vintage. Hit the antique stores/flea markets/thrift shops, and you can find some terrific bargains. Make sure you get Schick blades. The only ones I've ever used were the Personna injector blades, and I think they're a bit rough. I've tend to lean toward DE or the GEM/EverReady SEs, so I haven't tried any Schick blades yet, but I've read where they are better.
You can go wrong with a vintage razor if it’s damaged, and sometimes the damage isn’t easily seen. I actually prefer the Personna injector blades over the Schicks, and I’ve used a lot of each the last 13 years or so.

If you want another SE rabbit hole to get lost in, check out the Artists Club blade format. The Hawk in aluminum from Italian Barber is an inexpensive entry into AC blade shaving.
But like others said, you pretty much can't go wrong with a vintage Schick injector razor. The only disadvantage to injectors is that for modern manufactured blades, you have only three choices: Chinese made Schicks, commonly referred to as Chicks; Personna and the various rebranded ones; and Schick Proline. Prolines do not come with an injector key dispenser, so you'll have to manually transfer them to an injector key cartridge.

If you want another SE rabbit hole to get lost in, check out the Artists Club blade format. The Hawk in aluminum from Italian Barber is an inexpensive entry into AC blade shaving.
But like others said, you pretty much can't go wrong with a vintage Schick injector razor. The only disadvantage to injectors is that for modern manufactured blades, you have only three choices: Chinese made Schicks, commonly referred to as Chicks; Personna and the various rebranded ones; and Schick Proline. Prolines do not come with an injector key dispenser, so you'll have to manually transfer them to an injector key cartridge.
You easily can cut an AC blade down to injector width, so the choices aren't that limited.

Top Bottom