What's new

Reclining seats on an airplane

Is it ok to recline seats on an airplane?

• Yes, the seat was made to recline, so recline away

• No, it is inconsiderate to the passenger behind you

• Maybe, it depends (flight time?)

• Who cares?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never recline my seat as it does constitute an inconvenience to the person behind me. By the same token, when I get on a plane, I know that I am surrendering my "right" to that knee space and if the person in front of me reclines, that's his or her choice and I just have to deal with it without condeming them.

I am constantly amazed at the selfishness and inconsideration of many in our society today.

I hate it when someone in front of me reclines, so I almost never do. I usually get a window seat, so I can take a nap against the window if need be without reclining. The only time I will recline, is if I'm on the aisle (or the dreaded middle) seat and the flight is long and I need to nap. That prevents me form leaning against the person beside me.

Depends on the duration of the flight, and time of day. European airlines sell seats with more leg room, so if someone objects against being "constricted" by a reclined seat, they should spend the money (30 euros extra or so) for a more spacious seat.

Tall people problem :tongue_sm. It's an inconvenience just being cramped in the small space we get for a seat. Reclining or not reclining doesn't bother me too much one way or the other. I don't see it as rude or inconsiderate for someone to use an option that the airline has given them.

The poll is a bit deceptive insofar as it ignores a possible range of reclining and (perhaps) some common courtesy in the amount one reclines. The impact on the passenger behind varies considerably, depending on the extent of reclining.

Beats this.

$82nd_Airborne_paratroopers_in_a_C-17.jpg

Or this.

$c17airlandcargoairdroptroops.jpg

Last edited:
The poll is a bit deceptive insofar as it ignores a possible range of reclining and (perhaps) some common courtesy in the amount one reclines. The impact on the passenger behind varies considerably, depending on the extent of reclining.

I agree with Lord Vader. :a45: I generally recline the seat a little bit. Just enough so that I'm not completely upright. Trying to balance my comfort with those behind me.

I never recline my seat as it does constitute an inconvenience to the person behind me. By the same token, when I get on a plane, I know that I am surrendering my "right" to that knee space and if the person in front of me reclines, that's his or her choice and I just have to deal with it without condeming them.

I am constantly amazed at the selfishness and inconsideration of many in our society today.
+1 I hate flying in the US or Europe.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I always sit behind someone who slams the seat back as quickly as they can the exact moment the waitress (is that politically incorrect?) places my drink on the tray that's attached to their chair. Every. Single. Time.

Fortunately, I've taken to carrying a bottle of Baystate Blue on flights, which is a terrific revenge weapon.

I googled Baystate Blue and came up with an ink for fountain pens.

Must be an inside joke for the Nibblers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I voted who cares :lol:

I've flown exactly 5 times in my whole life.
last time was 2012

Top Bottom