What's new

Re-scaling Gold Dollar

I really liked the looks of this one wade and butcher I saw with clear neon green acrylic scales. I was wondering how hard it would be to do this, and what tools I would need to be able to pull it off.

I really liked the looks of this one wade and butcher I saw with clear neon green acrylic scales. I was wondering how hard it would be to do this, and what tools I would need to be able to pull it off.

Drill, saw, sandpaper, read alot of resto/rscaling tips/howtos, invest some time and effort, and viola! Your first rescale!

Also be aware of the issues with the out-of align tangs on the GDs...

How I can I tell if there is a tang problem with the gold dollar? I wanted to rescale because the scale doesn't fit well on the razor. I have to be careful when I close it to avoid it from hitting the sides.

How I can I tell if there is a tang problem with the gold dollar? I wanted to rescale because the scale doesn't fit well on the razor. I have to be careful when I close it to avoid it from hitting the sides.

You can also dip the original scales into boiling water for a few seconds to soften them up, then re-align them to get them to center better. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying until it does.

Of course, be sure to dry it off well after this proceedure.

To see if your tang is bent, descale the razor and lay it on its side on a known flat surface. If it's not straight, it will be very obvious.

It's not as expensive as you think to do your own - coping saw, sandpaper, brass rod, washers, cutter for the rod, peening hammer and anvil. For acrylic, you can use clipboards.

I was able to adjust the scales so the blade centers using the boiling water method. If the blade tang looks badly askew then it might be better to just keep it in the original scales because new scales might not fit that well.

Top Bottom