What's new

Razors that begin with B

I forgot about the George Butler, even though that spike is hard to forgot
Honed.jpg

Certainly wasn't meant to be condescending. Just an honest observation as I enjoy witnessing different SRs that I have not seen before.
Sorry, just YOU going through another members” modest collection “,,, as Compared to what, yours? So extensive? Elitist?
It just struck me as
Pretentious. And you’re just being honest about assessing another members “ modest” collection.
If they have one razor. It’s good to me.
Just not a good phrasing I guess.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Appears to be ivory? Simple yet classic. And horizontal sanding marks or is it the photo? For some reason I like this razor.
Well ain’t that a news flash.
Yep, Ivory. I have to dig out the razor and take another look at it. It's one that I kind of forgot I had until I found this picture on the hard drive.

The interesting thing is it says Cheapside, rather than Sheffield. Cheapside is in inner London, so Benetfink & Co would be a retailer.

Legion

Staff member
I suspect the sanding marks are just left from where I knocked off some active rust before putting it away in the "to do" pile, to clean up better when I get to it.

Well thank you. I appreciate it . As well as a classically beautiful razor.
Just says “Ahhh”
Dig it out and enjoy it. No polish , no fru-fru. Just hone it. So nice.
Nothing “ Cheapside” about it.
Why is it some just talk to you?
This one does for me.
Also nice to know I’m not the only one who can say ,, “ I forgot I had this” or, “ dayum, look what I just found”
That only means you have the right amount of razors!
Kudos.

Last edited:
It can always be added to at any time but it seems we got our fill View attachment 1660211of “A” razors.
Here’s a start for tonight’s shave. US made as well.
A.Bannister , Newark NJ. 1884-1915. All I’ve done is hone it.

Very interesting. Ich have a straight razor made by Samuel Hoppe and Sons from around 1850-1870 with the same scales and the same blade shape.

edited_IMG_20231016_163509.jpg

Do you have any further information about your straight razor?

Sami

Very beautiful scale work, hand made carving I guess.
What are the shiny dots made of in the two patterns? Metal glued on?

The guy that did the peening and pinning of this model must have felt some serious pressure not breaking the scales.
It’s called pinning. Usually done with brass or silver rod . Ivory is quite durable and lends itself to carving. Here are some I’ve done with scrimshaw. I also did the spine work.

Attachments

• IMG_5193.jpeg
    IMG_5193.jpeg
    803.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5198.jpeg
    IMG_5198.jpeg
    805.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    848.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5190.jpeg
    IMG_5190.jpeg