What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Iridian

Cool and slimy
What are the differences between the OC and non-OC models? I read in this thread that OCs have more audio feedback, any other differences?
The audible feedback of a razor depends more on blade clamping and how the head resonates, the OC has the least part in that. With a thick beard one might have a slightly different sound to a SB, but particularly regarding the SuperSlant, L3 SB and L3++ OC made for me zero difference in audible feedback.

The OC cuts even a bit closer and for thicker beard the "comb" effect of the teeth if preferred.

You have been wetshaving for 6 months, so picking the right plate (I am referring now to your previous posting) is nigh impossible. You should share what you shaved with so far, which models, to have a frame of reference what is okay for you, already a bit too much or too mild.

To be blunt, for starters the SuperSlant is just too expensive. It would be a better approach to figure out your limits with cheaper razors before going for this one.

1710837739470.png

This is from Razorock and might help you roughly see where you are standing.

If you are looking for placement on the scale for the new RazoRock Superslant razors, please see below:

L1, L1+, L1++, L1++OC - MILD-MEDIUM(L1 being the MILDEST)

L2, L2+, L2++, L2++OC - MEDIUM to MEDIUM-AGGRESSIVE

L3, L3+, L3++, L3++OC - AGGRESSIVE with the L3++ & L3++OC being at the very top of the scale and L3 being the least aggressive of the group

If you are currently using another brand of Razor and want to know where it fits on the RAZOROCK AGGRESSION SCALE, see the list below of many popular razors to identify the category that you would best fit into:

MILD:

1. Wilkinson
2. Feather Popular
3. Rockwell 6s (#1)

MILD-MEDIUM:
4. Fatip Testina Gentile
5. Rockwell 6S (#2/#3)
6. Parker 23L
7. Parker 96R
8. Merkur 25C Comb
9. Edwin Jagger EJ89
10. Muhle R89

MEDIUM:
11. Merkur 23C
12. Merkur 34C/38C
13. Rockwell 6S (#4)
14. Parker 71R/92R
15. Parket 55-SL
16. Rex Envoy

MEDIUM-AGGRESSIVE:
17. Fatip OC
18. Parker 24C/26C
19. Rockwell 6S (#5)
20. Merkur 37C Slant
21. Merkur 39C Slant
22. Fatip Lo Storto

AGGRESSIVE:
23. Muhle R41
24. Rockwell 6S (#6)
25. Merkur Futur Adjustable (#6)

The audible feedback of a razor depends more on blade clamping and how the head resonates, the OC has the least part in that. With a thick beard one might have a slightly different sound to a SB, but particularly regarding the SuperSlant, L3 SB and L3++ OC made for me zero difference in audible feedback.

The OC cuts even a bit closer and for thicker beard the "comb" effect of the teeth if preferred.
Thanks, very helpful!
You have been wetshaving for 6 months, so picking the right plate (I am referring now to your previous posting) is nigh impossible. You should share what you shaved with so far, which models, to have a frame of reference what is okay for you, already a bit too much or too mild.
Great idea. I'll do that in a separate thread to not take this one off the main topic. Thanks a lot!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Iridian is correct..... There are so many options... Even with a lot of help here, I'm still struggling to get my SuperSlant to work for me.... work perfectly, that is... I still have two base plates... one a bit too mild, the other too efficient... with only two base plates in between that I don't think will help much. I'm down to blade choices... tame the L2++ and boost the efficiency of the L1++OC... That's the one I really want to work: the L1OC... I love the face feel, but only get shaves lasting 8 hours instead of my preferred 12 hour shaves. I'm in the middle of some other tests, but the SuperSlant is going to get some attention soon.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm down to blade choices... tame the L2++ and boost the efficiency of the L1++OC... That's the one I really want to work: the L1OC... I love the face feel, but only get shaves lasting 8 hours instead of my preferred 12 hour shaves.

I don't remember, Kim -- did you try the Kai blade for the L1OC? Taming the L2++ might need a Dorco Prime.

I find the Dorco Prime just a bit "softer" than the Russian Astra SP. Personally, I still prefer the Astra! But I bought a hundred of the Dorcos because it was easy. They're not bad, I just keep getting reminded they're not Astras, if you take my meaning.

I'd be happy to toss a few Dorco Primes in the mail to you, if you want to try them.

O.H.

Old Hippie

I haven't seen any traffic about this so I'll generate some. :) I noticed recently that RazoRock came out with a "hollow" HD handle. Basically the same solid stainless chunk as their regular HD handle (an homage to the Merkur 34/37 handle, but in one piece). I picked one up just to see if they drilled the thing out all the way through.

Nope. Dang. Well, I've got tools. I drilled "up" from the bottom to break into the thread area, then used an M5x0.80 tap to run the threads all the way down to the hollow. Buggered it up just a little but it's fine for trying on the idea.

But what's the idea? The idea is to now run a long screw up from the bottom and have a locking handle that didn't require a lathe to make (though it would have made things more accurate). As my old coot of a brother would say, "I tell you that to tell you this..." I'm wondering if using a locking handle to hold, say, an L1++OC opened up just a tad would work to make that fairly mild OC slightly more aggressive.

I may simply take a length of brass rod and thread the end of it. I need about a 10-cm screw, which around here is impossible. But I have an account at Fastenal...:)

I also dropped an email to Michael at RazoRock, and he said he'd consider whether drilling the handle a little deeper and getting threads a little deeper on the other end would be cost effective or could maybe be offered as an option.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't remember, Kim -- did you try the Kai blade for the L1OC? Taming the L2++ might need a Dorco Prime.

I find the Dorco Prime just a bit "softer" than the Russian Astra SP. Personally, I still prefer the Astra! But I bought a hundred of the Dorcos because it was easy. They're not bad, I just keep getting reminded they're not Astras, if you take my meaning.

I'd be happy to toss a few Dorco Primes in the mail to you, if you want to try them.

O.H.
I haven't had a chance or I should say, I was trying out a new razor, so I haven't used a Kai in the L1OC, but I'm hoping that will boost the efficiency... and I have some Russian Astra SP greens, so I'll try one in the L2++ to see if that tames it just a bit.

I'll hold off on the Dorco Primes for now.... I almost bought some a while back but ended up buying some Tweet Dura Sharp blades instead.

I'm running a short test between the brass Elite I just got and the 2022 SS Elite which I love. As soon as that is completed, I'll be working with my SuperSlant base plates to see what I can do.

I haven't had a chance or I should say, I was trying out a new razor, so I haven't used a Kai in the L1OC, but I'm hoping that will boost the efficiency... and I have some Russian Astra SP greens, so I'll try one in the L2++ to see if that tames it just a bit.

I'll hold off on the Dorco Primes for now.... I almost bought some a while back but ended up buying some Tweet Dura Sharp blades instead.

I'm running a short test between the brass Elite I just got and the 2022 SS Elite which I love. As soon as that is completed, I'll be working with my SuperSlant base plates to see what I can do.
If you need a box of Kai’s (5 blades) hit me up. You always help others!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know it's perhaps one of the most common suggestions ... but perhaps before selling trying L1++OC with a Kai blade would improve the experience.
I do find Kai blades to increase efficiency with SuperSlant (on both L1 and L1++OC that I have). The razor is still well behaved (as in very mild) but efficiency is up a bit.

O.H.
@Amorphous Metal and @Old Hippie , I just finished shaving a few minutes ago with the L1++OC using a Kai blade. I could feel the added efficiency more than I could have hoped for...Not too much, but definitely better for me. It's going to take me a few shaves to dial it in as I had a couple weepers, but only on a few of my little bumps as my face isn't like glass. <eg>

It's way too early, after one shave, to make any pronouncements, but I did feel a little bit like Goldilocks.... This one is too mild.... this one is too much... this one is just right. The plan is to use the L1OC a few times in a row with the Kai... dial it in... then try a more mild blade in the L2++ and see if that makes a difference. I plan to start with the Astra SP green for that experiment as I think that is the only "mild" blade I have. I only used one Astra SP for one shave... with the Lupo Aluminum our youngest son gave me that started all this. It was a truly horrible shave, so horrible, I've never used that razor or that blade since. LOL..... I do wonder how it would work for me, two years in. I'm sure I'll try it again sometime, but it's not even on the stove, let alone a back burner.

So thank you two and everyone else who chimed in..... Using the Kai was a very good suggestion. I will try to use even less pressure next shave so I should be able to avoid the do-it-yourself cosmetic surgery. I've been trying to shave 3 times a week... to get into a routine... I've made it a few times but not nearly consistent enough. Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays... I managed it last week.. and I'm 2 out of 3 for this week.. with Monday coming up. Wish me luck. <eg>

Old Hippie

I just finished shaving a few minutes ago with the L1++OC using a Kai blade. I could feel the added efficiency more than I could have hoped for...Not too much, but definitely better for me.

That's great!

I only used one Astra SP for one shave...

One of the things I had to learn to be mindful of with a fresh Russian Astra SP was that despite a fairly mid-range reputation those things are sharp on the first use. Not Feather-level sharp, but enough to require some attention. I'm interested to see how the Indian versions are. What I'm hearing is that they're pretty faithful. After that my second shave is pretty good, third and fourth tend to be great, and fifth and sixth remind me that for my intents and purposes the blade's getting tired. Still sharp and smooth; I could certainly get seven shaves and possibly eight with it.

The Dorco Primes I have don't do that which caused a few problems going back to Astra SPs just to change things up. The downside with the Dorco Primes is that they tail off pretty quickly after the fourth shave, with the fifth one being my reminder that economizing too much on blades leads to increased cost for styptic pencils and bandaids. :) That "soft start" was why I thought you might try them in the L2.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's great!

One of the things I had to learn to be mindful of with a fresh Russian Astra SP was that despite a fairly mid-range reputation those things are sharp on the first use. Not Feather-level sharp, but enough to require some attention. I'm interested to see how the Indian versions are. What I'm hearing is that they're pretty faithful. After that my second shave is pretty good, third and fourth tend to be great, and fifth and sixth remind me that for my intents and purposes the blade's getting tired. Still sharp and smooth; I could certainly get seven shaves and possibly eight with it.

The Dorco Primes I have don't do that which caused a few problems going back to Astra SPs just to change things up. The downside with the Dorco Primes is that they tail off pretty quickly after the fourth shave, with the fifth one being my reminder that economizing too much on blades leads to increased cost for styptic pencils and bandaids. :) That "soft start" was why I thought you might try them in the L2.

O.H.
I haven't used enough DE blades to know how to characterize them personally. I can only go by what I've read here.

Here's my small list. I'd welcome your comments on their performances for you, if you've tried them.

1. Perma-Sharp
2. Nacet
3. Wizamet
4. Treet Dura Sharp
5. Gillette 7 O'clock Black
6. Gillette Platinum "Light"
7. Personna Comfort Coated USA
8. Astra SP Green
9. Kai
10. KCG (I still have 7 of those left)
11. Feather (I have one unopened tuck that was thrown in with a brush purchase)

Until recently, I've been on a Perma-Sharp kick... That's all I had used for months. Before that, I used Nacets for a few months in a row. I started out using Wizamets. I just don't have enough experience. I don't even know which of these blades would work the best in my various razors.... I've tried to figure out why I don't know... I haven't tried each of my blades in each razor, etc.... I'm too new, I guess. Or not motivated to experiment with blades, just razors. <eg>

Old Hippie

I'd welcome your comments on their performances for you, if you've tried them.

Well, that can be easy. I've used two of them. :001_rolle

Astra SP is and has been pretty much my favourite blade. Feather? I used one once, went "Wow, that's sharp" and now they get used in an old Parker shavette I keep by the oven to slash loaves before baking. Living as I do in a "shopping desert" I tend not to explore too widely as getting just a few of something shipped in is just not worth the hassle. I have to order Astras, but aside from that occasional chore we have a choice locally of either KCG or Wilkinson Sword, both running close to $15.00/10 blades.

I have a notion that I may sneak into the US this spring sometime. If so, I will try to source some different blades from shaving shops along the way (if any exist).

I'm too new, I guess. Or not motivated to experiment with blades, just razors. <eg>

I only get adventurous with blades occasionally. I have a strong preference for things that work and keep working so I don't have to keep fooling with trying some unknown quantity. I find that one, I'm gonna buy a boatload of them. And did. :)

O.H.

1. Perma-Sharp
2. Nacet
3. Wizamet
4. Treet Dura Sharp
5. Gillette 7 O'clock Black
6. Gillette Platinum "Light"
7. Personna Comfort Coated USA
8. Astra SP Green
9. Kai
10. KCG (I still have 7 of those left)
11. Feather (I have one unopened tuck that was thrown in with a brush purchase)

I have used Feathers, PermaShaps, Kai, Dorco HQ and Prime, Astra SP, SilverBlues + 20 others ... (not Wizamets, Gillete Blacks and Personas from the list). If I consider only quality of the shave and time is not limited, I like Feathers the most (and Kai in SuperSlant).

But interestingly of the lot lately I go mostly for Dorco HQs, just for their smoothness and mindlessness of shave. They are not as sharp and not super smooth in the sense you can sense the increased resistance to cutting due to being less sharp, but on the other side I can really do a fast cartridge like mindless shave with it. The least chance of weepers in any razor I put them in. They have going for them some quite nice compromise between sharpness, smoothness, speed and weepers probability for my face that I really like.

Sure Feathers are sharp and very smooth for me, but cannot really do a fast shave with them least I get weepers, which in a crunch I really do not want. Just too sharp for that aspect. PermaSharps are also very sharp and smooth. Kai are also great in the same circumstances in the SuperSlant that I have. I like that kind of sharp DE blades on weekends and when I have time for the "experience" of shaving. For other days when I just need to just do it or do it fast ... as I said lately just grab Dorco HQ. For me to shave with less attention and/or fast, a DE blade needs to have certain inbuilt controlled and repeatable ... "lack of sharpness" so I do not slice of some small imperfections I do not want to be sliced of when using fast strokes with a razor. Dorco HQ excel in that kind of mindless shaves for me. Considering their low price per 100 pack I do appreciate their high performance/price ratio for me.

I have used Feathers, PermaShaps, Kai, Dorco HQ and Prime, Astra SP, SilverBlues + 20 others ... (not Wizamets, Gillete Blacks and Personas from the list). If I consider only quality of the shave and time is not limited, I like Feathers the most (and Kai in SuperSlant).

But interestingly of the lot lately I go mostly for Dorco HQs, just for their smoothness and mindlessness of shave. They are not as sharp and not super smooth in the sense you can sense the increased resistance to cutting due to being less sharp, but on the other side I can really do a fast cartridge like mindless shave with it. The least chance of weepers in any razor I put them in. They have going for them some quite nice compromise between sharpness, smoothness, speed and weepers probability for my face that I really like.

Sure Feathers are sharp and very smooth for me, but cannot really do a fast shave with them least I get weepers, which in a crunch I really do not want. Just too sharp for that aspect. PermaSharps are also very sharp and smooth. Kai are also great in the same circumstances in the SuperSlant that I have. I like that kind of sharp DE blades on weekends and when I have time for the "experience" of shaving. For other days when I just need to just do it or do it fast ... as I said lately just grab Dorco HQ. For me to shave with less attention and/or fast, a DE blade needs to have certain inbuilt controlled and repeatable ... "lack of sharpness" so I do not slice of some small imperfections I do not want to be sliced of when using fast strokes with a razor. Dorco HQ excel in that kind of mindless shaves for me. Considering their low price per 100 pack I do appreciate their high performance/price ratio for me.
Thank you, everyone. I've been looking at a Superslant and this thread has been really helpful. I'm still trying to figure out if I should get this, noting that I already have a 39C and a Konsul...

Top Bottom