What's new

Razor wars - comparing razors in my den

As I am approaching my second year of DE shaving I am beginning to settle down in my routine and am achieving fairly consistent shave results. This is not only a result of me improving my technique, but in large part I am standing on the shoulders of fellow shaving brothers in better understanding my routine and making incremental adjustments as I progressed. John (@JoWolf), Al (@AimlessWanderer), JC (@JCinPA), Jack (@Jack Goossen), Marco (@Marco), Mitch (@mgweatherly), my namesake brother Guido (@JAHE) and David (@never-stop-learning) come to mind as well as reading and interacting with all brothers in the regular threads I frequent. Throughout October I have been pondering about where to go next. How do I continue to shave with my white belt on and keep honing my technique while routine is also kicking in.

I mentioned before that @kingfisher's head to head shave got me thinking about doing something similar myself to enjoy what I have (and therefore exercising some restraint) and also learn using my gear in a better way (as I am usually kind of all over the place when it comes to my razors, soaps and brushes). This will help me in dialing down a bit in jumping around, give my Razor Rotation Anxiety something to do as well as enable me to further hone my craft. I intend to do the following: pitch any two razors against each other for at least 3 shaves and then evaluate similarities and differences. I use one razor each day - so I am not doing the one razor one cheek type of comparisons. At least not for now. I will also attempt to review the razors I used or at least provide some information on what I think of the razor. The purpose is none other than to have fun. I am not searching for the one razor in my den or selecting the best one. I already know which one(s) those are.

This thread will serve as my main repository, but I will make seperate threads for each comparison. In my mind at least that seemed logical and structured.

As I am approaching my second year of DE shaving I am beginning to settle down in my routine and am achieving fairly consistent shave results. This is not only a result of me improving my technique, but in large part I am standing on the shoulders of fellow shaving brothers in better understanding my routine and making incremental adjustments as I progressed. John (@JoWolf), Al (@AimlessWanderer), JC (@JCinPA), Jack (@Jack Goossen), Marco (@Marco), Mitch (@mgweatherly), my namesake brother Guido (@JAHE) and David (@never-stop-learning) come to mind as well as reading and interacting with all brothers in the regular threads I frequent. Throughout October I have been pondering about where to go next. How do I continue to shave with my white belt on and keep honing my technique while routine is also kicking in.

I mentioned before that @kingfisher's head to head shave got me thinking about doing something similar myself to enjoy what I have (and therefore exercising some restraint) and also learn using my gear in a better way (as I am usually kind of all over the place when it comes to my razors, soaps and brushes). This will help me in dialing down a bit in jumping around, give my Razor Rotation Anxiety something to do as well as enable me to further hone my craft. I intend to do the following: pitch any two razors against each other for at least 3 shaves and then evaluate similarities and differences. I use one razor each day - so I am not doing the one razor one cheek type of comparisons. At least not for now. I will also attempt to review the razors I used or at least provide some information on what I think of the razor. The purpose is none other than to have fun. I am not searching for the one razor in my den or selecting the best one. I already know which one(s) those are.

This thread will serve as my main repository, but I will make seperate threads for each comparison. In my mind at least that seemed logical and structured.
We are lucky that we can take a grooming necessity and elevate it to a hobby. Fun and exploration of products and razors always exciting. Rewarding us with comfort and luxury. Very satisfying when technique and that elusive soft touch come together. Congratulations on your two year run Guido, and you know it continues to get better. Enjoy 🤩

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks for the mention, and congrats on the milestone. It's always good to know my rambling have been helpful to someone. :biggrin1:

As to this comparison exercise, may I make a suggestion?

...pitch any two razors against each other for at least 3 shaves...

Make that three consecutive shaves, so you get better tuned in to that razor before swapping. So, three shaves with Razor A, then thee shaves with Razor B... and then go back to Razor A for one last shave. That way both razors get an equal comparison in terms of swapping from something you have spent three days with, to something different.

Plus, if you shave daily, it makes it a solid 7-day week. ;)

Make that three consecutive shaves, so you get better tuned in to that razor before swapping. So, three shaves with Razor A, then thee shaves with Razor B... and then go back to Razor A for one last shave.
Thanks Al. Good suggestion and yes I am a daily shaver, so a weekly pattern sounds very nice. Although that has nothing to do with me shaving daily and everything to do with me being OCD about my shaves :001_smile:

Razor wars ? No war, peace and love ! :biggrin:

An American Hippie In Israel Reaction GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

Now that you mentioned me: I ordered the Chinese R41 clone head that is supposed to be right between the 2011 en 2013 R41. Thought maybe it would treat me better than the 2013, but it did not. It doesn't like me and this is completely mutual.
I'll send it to you, since you appear to get along with obnoxious razors way better than I do.
Regards.

Now that you mentioned me: I ordered the Chinese R41 clone head that is supposed to be right between the 2011 en 2013 R41. Thought maybe it would treat me better than the 2013, but it did not. It doesn't like me and this is completely mutual.
I'll send it to you, since you appear to get along with obnoxious razors way better than I do.
Regards.
Apparently you haven’t read my post on a Chinese R41 clone I tried last year :cuppa:. No idea which clone it was by the way as it had no markings at all, but it reeked havoc on my face. The only shave in 2 years I actually interrupted and stopped.:c17: For some sick twisted reason I still have it, but buried deep in my closet never to be released again.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Well, the R41 clones are not razors of peace.

I got lucky with my DSCosmetic handles, quite a lot of them came with black gunk. Not sure if this was lubricant or leftovers from machining.

I might use the DSCosmetic X1 dual comb with pioneer handle tomorrow. It seems to be a mild GC .68 clone or sth similar, negative exposure on top. First time I will use it in ages, but wanted to use as many OCs as possible during OCtober.

I am looking forward to NOCvember, might start out with my smart helix Apollo light. 😀

Iridian

Cool and slimy
With the introduction of the Pistol Licensing Act of 1927, underworld figures were forced to find a new weapon of choice, opting for the inconspicuous cutthroat razor. With this, razor gangs were born and battles for control of the criminal underbelly of Sydney ensued.

Imagine threatening people with your straight razor. Those were the days.

With the introduction of the Pistol Licensing Act of 1927, underworld figures were forced to find a new weapon of choice, opting for the inconspicuous cutthroat razor. With this, razor gangs were born and battles for control of the criminal underbelly of Sydney ensued.

Imagine threatening people with your straight razor. Those were the days.

If you want to see Bengal Imperials in a television show:

Top Bottom