What's new

Razor sticking to face - what's wrong?

I have had an issue since I started DE shaving that the razor doesn't like to glide/slide across my face. Rather, it sticks and makes it hard to maintain proper angle without pressure. I have used Razorock, TOBS, Caties Bubbles and Captians Choice soaps all with the same issue. It happens regardless of using preshave oil. I read that adding a drop of glycerine can help, but still to no avail. I figure it must be something I am doing wrong with my lather prep. Anyone able to shed some light?

How are you lathering?
i'd ditch the preshave, never found any use to it myself.
However you make your lather, can you rub it between your fingers for a couple of seconds and have it still be slick, or does it crumble?
usually the problem is too little water, but it depends....

Are you putting too much of the top of the head/cap to your face?
More flat surface to the skin will feel like it's sticking.
This would be a blade angle issue.

When I first started I devoured the videos by Nick Shaves. part of his Beginner series shows Bowl Lathering but he talks about the quality of the lather.

Also watch any of his Lather Reviews (not the shave review). It takes a while to load a brush with soap then another while to build the lather.

Basically I tried to mimic what he was doing. My lathers have gotten better and better.

I read a key phrase once... you want a lather that looks like cake frosting. Creamy with a sheen but not dry.

Also practice building lather in the palm of your hand. Experiment with adding water even going past what you think is enough.

Hope these tips help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tips on lather so far. I will add that a dull blade, several days growth, and / or not staring with a WTG pass can also make it feel like the razor is sticking.

Do you shower or at least wash your face with soap prior to shaving?

i was able to shave before showering or washing when I used a cartridge razor, but one try with my DE razor taught me never to try that again. The razor felt like it was sticking and jumping all over my skin. I now shower, then shave, and the razor feels like it glides properly.

Thanks for the great advice. I shave after showering and use a new blade more frequently than most. I usually replace it every 2-4 shaves. I am trying out different blades and want to compare apples to apples. I think the issue is that I don't whip my lather long enough and don't have enough water. I'll experiment and see if I can't make it slick.

I've felt that with chrome or nickel plated razors when I go for a second swipe with the razor, after the first swipe has taken most of the soap away. Doesn't happen with my bare brass razors.

I second (we're well beyond seconding) that the lather is too dry. I think I had a similar issue when I was in my 20-something to 30-something wet shave count since moving away from disposables. I also kept getting irritation on my neck. I read a post that suggested a lather that's almost, almost, wet enough to slide off your face or brush. Prior to that I whipped my lather like crazy to get the great peaks I heard about. Since going to a more wet lather about 15 shaves ago my neck irritation has gone away and I would say the razor glides better. Good luck. Let us know how your progress.

Also there are a couple of different approaches to building lather.

The Marco Method starts out with a very wet brush. It's very messy and takes a while to work out the excess water.

The other approach (and the one I finally settled on) is the dry brush approach. You'll see this in Nick's videos. Basically wring your brush dry then load the soap. The soap will look like a thick paste in the bristles. Then as you build the lather you add just enough water to keep it in a creamy state. In other words you never let suds build up.

I'm a visual learner so watching the videos and copying what I see is most successful for me.

Again, hope this helps.

Try Arko and build the lather with lots of water, until the lather practically drips from the brush. That should fix it. Then you can dial-back the water until you find a less sloppy mix that works just as well.
If none of that works then you are out only $3 including shipping.

How long do you load? I can load for up to a solid minute on soap, 30 to 45 seconds with croap. I get the lather built in bowl or container than start working it on face then kind of use painting motions to build up more lather. I then usually dip the very tip of brush in water and start adding that to lather until I can feel the slickness making the brush glide easier. I start with a soaked brush and mostly just let gravity drip water out. I don't shake or squeeze any water out but you can try multiple ways until it works.

The easiest way to learn to make lather that works properly is to load a lot of soap and gradually add water until you get a lather that you enjoy. Make sure to work the lather thoroughly after each water addition. Don't worry about stopping after just one stroke to relather and add more water if necessary. Once you experience a proper lather you will learn how long to load the brush and how much water you need to add quickly. It also helps to master just one soap rather than switching it up every day. Just make sure to choose a high quality soap to learn with.

More water when lathering. Add a bit at a time till lather has a slick looking shine. Another tell-tale sign of having used too little water (or its ratio to soap) is that it won't easily rinse from the blade.

You are using good soaps, even adding glycerine you said and still the razor sticks. I'm going to go away from the majority and say it's technique. Something you are doing (or not doing right) with the razor. Angle...pressure. Something. Since I can't see you shave, you are going to have to work this out yourself.

Along with watching lathering videos. Watch some shaving video and watch how the razor is being held, angle of the head to the face, and so forth.

I suggest you simplify your routine until you figure things out.
1. I do not find that preshave oil helps so would not use that.
2. Then pick one soap or cream that is well regarded for slickness.
3. Work on your lather to get what you want. My guess is that you need more product and much more water.
Best of luck!

Top Bottom