What's new

Razor lubrication and polishing

Noticed some of my TTOs and adjustables were squeaking. I've read where some guys treat their razors with mineral oil, but it never seemed to me like that had any lasting ability. Today at Lowes I saw this stuff.
20231104_203847.jpg

It is a penetrating oil that drys, leaving a clear silicone residue on surfaces. It is billed as waterproof. Naturally, I had to buy it. I have treated two Fatboys and a Soviet clone of a Black Beauty so far. A few drops around the center hole, close and open the doors, add a few more drops, repeat until oil runs out around the knob tip. Then around the top and bottom edges of the adjustment dial.

They don't squeak anymore. And I believe lubrication is important in staving off mineral build-up from hard water. I have a birth year Super Speed and what was a really nice Lady Gillette TTO that are completely locked up and immune even to pliers now. Pretty sure it was hard water that did them in.

But I wasn't at Lowes for this reason. My bronze Timeless OC was getting dingy and Brasso, a rag, and effort wasn't restoring its factory new luster. So I thought I'd try this stuff.
20231104_203748~2.jpg

Took a session yesterday and today of polishing while watching a movie, but it has had the desired effect.

I bought a can of [aerosol, no liquid avail] three in one sillycoon at Aldi, I squirted everything even the sticky bedroom window. I was really impressed with it and as Aldi only have their 'special' buys at random, a couple weeks ago it was back, so I bought four more cans of it. :D That's how impressed I was.
I've used other sillycoon products before, but tended to shy away from buying as the price is ridiculous, most were gathered/borrowed/stolen :D

I rate this product with four and a half stars, the half off is only for the smell, while not unpleasant, it does tend to be a little on the honky side.

If you ever send your razors out to platers, you best warn them, they are not going to like you. :D

They don't squeak anymore. And I believe lubrication is important in staving off mineral build-up from hard water. I have a birth year Super Speed and what was a really nice Lady Gillette TTO that are completely locked up and immune even to pliers now. Pretty sure it was hard water that did them in.
Lube and hard water? yes ... no ... maybe? As water evaporates it leaves behind all the compounds that make the water hard, sillycoon would logically stop these from sticking? but logic is an unknown.
Hair and soap causing corrosion plus hard water are all going to be inside a razor in varying degrees ... a seized razor, provided it's not a blue tip I would soak in some real nasty chemicals, but that's me :D The Lady tto is a different story, the painted part is not going to stand up to my heavy handed tactics :(

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nevr Dull is great stuff. I have found it rather difficult to find out here in Australia. I used to use the one in the Yellow can called Bright Shine. Similar stuff and just as good. The three in one spray is great stuff as well. Stops squeaks on pretty much everything.

Never Dull has been my choice for years for knives and such and just recently used it on an old Gillette DE with pretty good success

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not convinced that oiling a TTO or adjustable is a good idea - would that not be inclined to trap dirt and bristles etc. and prevent it from being rinsed away? At any rate I would use a very light mineral oil but only when absolutely necessary to release a stuck mechanism, and not as a matter of routine. I would be less inclined to oil an English Gillete razor than a US model. I am basing this on nothing more than guesswork.

Before I aged out of the sport I was a serious bicycle rider and racer. There is a liquid wax chain lubricant that dries and won't get nasty even in rainy conditions. I didn't use it much because many of my events were from 100 miles to 750 miles straight through and the wax didn't last long enough, but it might be good on. a razor. I hadn't thought of that until now.

I stuff a bit of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) down the barrel of my TTO razors with the 'doors' in the open position. _It seems to last a long time and stops the soap and crud getting down inside the handle mechanism

I don't do anything to maintain my razors aside from rinsing and wiping the exposed surfaces clean of soap scum. Then once every so often, every 6-8 weeks (or sometimes more), I disassemble and clean the soap scum out of the crevices with a toothbrush and some cleaner. Maybe a Q-Tip or two. I generally only use stainless and titanium razors, and for years now they've all stayed in perfect working order all of the time with very little maintenance, and no lubrication of the threads or other mechanisms. I'm convinced these things are more durable than we give them credit for as long as we don't abuse them.

The only razor that I've ever lubed was the thread of my Shield Predator which were a bit rough when I reccieved the razor. I only oiled it once, hoping to permanently smooth the threads a bit. Seems to have helped a bit.

I've never oiled my squeaky TTOs. They don't squeak when I shave.

Olive Oil work as good as anything, plus it is food additive, so it is not going to hurt you. Polishing is simple as a little whitening toothpaste on toothbrush to make shiny, and remove soap scum.

Keep Tasting Weird stuff, and become food network star, or dead.🤮
young children have been known to eat soap, rats love it :w00t:

My hero Bare Gills [Bear Grills] eats bear spoor, and I've only seen him go green in the gills on two occasions :lol:

Grease is only soap and oil, oil is a mineral, so mineral oil is oil, and soap is soap an animal or mineral or vegetable oil and drain cleaner/paint stripper/washing soda/lye, you guys rub that sh... err stuff on your face every day or two :p

i tried a dupont spray that is great for squeaks but had a strong odor and made me realize putting that near my face probably not so great. Now I use sunflower oil, couple drops here and there. All silent and smooth operators.

Top Bottom