What's new

Razor feels like it's sticking

I don't know how else to describe the symptom in the subject line. Maybe it's inadequate lather, or the cream, my face...I don't know.

What has happened recently is that after the first pass along a section of my face (i.e. after one or two short strokes; not the entire face pass #1, 2, or 3) and the main lather is gone, there is no more lubrication and it feels like the razor wants to "stick" to my skin. The blade is new and it's not digging with the razor. It's as if I'm trying to shave with only water on my face and the metal surfaces of the razor stick. I tried messing with the blade angle to no avail. I try to keep my skin as taut as possible, but no luck. And there's no pain as if the blade were dragging or digging in to the skin, just the smooth metal surface wanting to stop on my skin. I was using Bigelow cream the other day, and this morning it was Crown Shaving Co. cream but both had the same issue. When I use my soaps (hard-or semi-hard) such as Oglala Bay Rum & Sandal wood, Soap Commander, or Captain's Choice I don't get that and I get a wicked good lather.

As I only started this type of shaving in early September, it may be that I'm unknowingly using too little product. I may take one of the remaining samples I have and use all that is left and see what happens.

Or am I seeing what is meant by "residual slickness" (or lack thereof) with some creams or soaps?

Sorry for the newbie question. I found some similar queries but nothing exactly like it, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking something previously covered.

Paul

Or am I seeing what is meant by "residual slickness" (or lack thereof) with some creams or soaps?l

Definitely sounds like a lack of residual slickness. There is a definite variation in the amount of residual slickness I get out of different products and I don't find it to be a strong suit in proraso green/co bigelow cream. I think though that you may also want to try playing with the amount of water in the lather as this has some bearing on how much residual slickness you get too. Mixing it too dry can lead to what it sounds like you're experiencing.

If you have a cream you enjoy and want to get the slickness up, you can also give yourself a quick hit with a soap stick like arko before the cream and make a super lather. It's never a bad thing to play around and experiment with a product to find out how to get the most out of it. Good luck!

If your lather had residual slickness, your razor wouldn't feel like it was sticking--it would slide right along. Residual slickness is a function of the water in the cream or soap. You probably were using too dry of a lather. Some creams/soaps are "thirstier" than others, so maybe you should add some water to your lather for those soaps.

Thanks all. Yeah, I am leaning towards what's working best for me, but I do want to be sure I give all my samples a fair shot. I'd hate to miss something because I was doing it wrong. I have enough Crown sample left for one more shave and it would be a greater amount than this morning. Today's lather itself seemed okay, but quantity seemed lacking. Seemed a bit thin once on the face too.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think water quality plays an enormous role. I have hard water, which I shave with most days. However, sometimes I have spare time to heat water from the fridge(pur filter, much better water for drinking), and the difference is unbelievable. I can tell the difference. It's especially evident when I have some leftover irritation. I get a great shave with tap water most days, so I don't bother often. But when I do, it's well worth it.

Just a thought based on my experience. Maybe worth a try for you.

Lather is important not only to provide slick but also to keep the beard hydrated as we shave. So if your razor is dragging or digging then your lather is probably too dry. Also stay with the soaps that work well for you. I started out with Williams soap back in the 60's then went to and stayed with Van Der Hagan soap until recently, Trying and liking A kilo of Cella croap and Col. Conk, each of witch give me great lather and smooth shaves. I've tried creams but prefer the hard or semi hard soaps.

What I find works best, and I can't say much here because I've only tried a few soaps and one brand of cream... but I like to take a small dab of cream(in my case cremo original) and put it in my lather bowl and then load my brush with some van der hagen soap. My soap is nice and thick, but it tends to be kinda dry and almost too thick, not slick enough... The cream, nice and slick, but not thick enough unless I use a crap ton of it, and then it breaks down pretty quickly on its own. So I tried the two together one day, and it works really nicely that way. Mix the two together in your lather bowl until you get a nice thick lather. I like to "stir" until I get the lather to peak and stand up without drooping. Then I work it into my face in circles, and finally paint it on to smooth and even it out. And then I shave, making sure I rinse my razor often so it's always nice and wet. In between passes I put more hot tap water on my face before painting more lather on.

I also sometimes put a little bit of cremo on my face while i'm soaking my brush and getting everything ready as a pre-shave thing. I don't have any pre-shave lotions or anything like that, and this seems to help a bit as well.

Last edited:
I didn't catch if your shaving post shower and pre shower. I found washing the oils off my face eliminates most of the "sticky" your experiencing. I don't know if it is the face oils or if the soap/creams work better on clean (oil free) skin. But it definitely makes for a smoother experience and makes the lather work much better in my experience.
Wash your face good with soap before lathering up.

I've experienced this on occasion and it also had something to do with the actual razor I was using. I had 2 Parkers that would stick to my face regardless of soap type. Just curious, is this only with a particular razor?

I didn't catch if your shaving post shower and pre shower. I found washing the oils off my face eliminates most of the "sticky" your experiencing. I don't know if it is the face oils or if the soap/creams work better on clean (oil free) skin. But it definitely makes for a smoother experience and makes the lather work much better in my experience.
Wash your face good with soap before lathering up.

^good advice.

I'd actually suggest following...
Fully lather your face with whatever shave soap.
Then, rinse lightly to get off the suds, just leaving the glycerin on the skin.
Then repeat lathering again, and start shaving from that point.
Soap is really cheap, and this extra step will help hydrate whiskers and remove residual skin oils and dead skin prior to shaving.

I've experienced this on occasion and it also had something to do with the actual razor I was using. I had 2 Parkers that would stick to my face regardless of soap type. Just curious, is this only with a particular razor?

I have only one razor—Merkur 34C—so it's my only comparison.

^good advice.

I'd actually suggest following...
Fully lather your face with whatever shave soap.
Then, rinse lightly to get off the suds, just leaving the glycerin on the skin.
Then repeat lathering again, and start shaving from that point.
Soap is really cheap, and this extra step will help hydrate whiskers and remove residual skin oils and dead skin prior to shaving.

I will have to give this a try. I usually shave in the morning after having showered before bed so my skin is clean. Additionally I put a hot washcloth on my face for a minute or two, then wet my face with hot water prior to lathering. I don't know if these are factors. They haven't been with the soaps I have good results with.

i've not had this problem, but i try to use a fair amount of water to keep the lather wet. also, you might try a preshave oil which should keep your face more lubricated.

there's always a plan B.

A few extra drops of water would help, as previously mentioned, but also add a few drops of glycerin to your lather. Glycerin builds lather, generates slickness, and it cushions the skin.

Add more water, get the angle correct, or apply more lather. You should not be buffing or shaving with out lather anyways. We all do but I try no to. Also, feel your skin with fingers and see if it feels sticky. If it is you need more water. I like my lather on the wet side and all of my soaps leave a great slickness on shaved parts.

Top Bottom