What's new

R41 vs Lupo 95 OC

I recently got an R41 (2013+ version) and I am favorably impressed by it's efficiency. I have a Lupo 72, and while it's good, it's not as efficient as the R41.

Does anyone have both of these who can offer a comparison?

The more I use the R41 the more I like it. I guess I like "blade feel" because I can really tell that the razor is doing its job and I need fewer passes and less touch-up. For me, fewer passes = less irritation and an easier and more enjoyable shave.

I would have failed miserably if I had started with the R41 because a very light touch is absolutely crucial, so I would definitely not recommend this razor to a beginner DE shaver. But after 6 months of experience, it's a great razor for me!

The more I use the R41 the more I like it. I guess I like "blade feel" because I can really tell that the razor is doing its job and I need fewer passes and less touch-up. For me, fewer passes = less irritation and an easier and more enjoyable shave.

I would have failed miserably if I had started with the R41 because a very light touch is absolutely crucial, so I would definitely not recommend this razor to a beginner DE shaver. But after 6 months of experience, it's a great razor for me!
If you don’t mind the bladefeel but would like to have more blade clamping than the R41 look at the Green Cult in stainless steel.

3FA87B89-6DEB-4603-8AC6-8F05262C47D1.jpeg

Current Green Cult is not the same as the original. The current one listed on Etsy is the new version as of July and says it's milder in the description. I reached out to the owner and she said the newer version with more plates should be available soon with a shorter handle, but didn't give an ETA when that would be.

I'm not able to give a good answer to the original question. I have a DS Z0(stainless copy of the R41) and the Lupo 95 OC. The lupo OC has less blade chatter than the Z0 so it's less likely to bite for me. Both are efficient but I prefer the lupo 95 SB, it's just fast without having to pay too much attention. I also find the lupo 95 SB smoother than the 72.

I did use the DS Z0 this morning with a different cap and it shaved great. Not as efficient but easy with no blade flexing.

Current Green Cult is not the same as the original. The current one listed on Etsy is the new version as of July and says it's milder in the description. I reached out to the owner and she said the newer version with more plates should be available soon with a shorter handle, but didn't give an ETA when that would be.

I'm not able to give a good answer to the original question. I have a DS Z0(stainless copy of the R41) and the Lupo 95 OC. The lupo OC has less blade chatter than the Z0 so it's less likely to bite for me. Both are efficient but I prefer the lupo 95 SB, it's just fast without having to pay too much attention. I also find the lupo 95 SB smoother than the 72.

I did use the DS Z0 this morning with a different cap and it shaved great. Not as efficient but easy with no blade flexing.
The pics on fairschenkt look like the 1st version with centering holes in the bottom. Also I noticed that it is labeled as GC1. I hope that they will clearly label the models should they change something major like the 3 new plates.

I own (or have owned) a number of R41s, including the 2011 design, 2013 design, and stainless versions. I also own a stainless steel Lupo .95 SB. I have more experience with the R41s, but if I were to try and compare the 2013 R41 (zamak) to the Lupo (SS), I'd say they are both pretty decent razors, although neither is in my favorites. I can't speak to the OC Lupo. For reference, the 2011 R41 is my favorite of that bunch.

The Lupo is weightier and I like the handle on mine quite a bit more (super knurl) than the standard Muhle handle. Efficiency wise, the 2013 design R41 is probably a little more efficient than the Lupo, but with a bit more blade chatter. I will usually need to make some extra cleanup passes with the Lupo to get to the same level shave as the 2013 R41, but neither one is particularly aggressive. I would probably give the overall nod to the Lupo, mostly because I like the feel of the razor in my hand a bit more than the R41 zamak. I haven't tried it, but it might be an interesting exercise to swap the handles on these razors and see if that changes my perception much. I think that is what Big_T was suggesting above.

@StewB , as you know, I used to have an R41 and now I have a Lupo .95 OC. I sold the R41 not because I couldn't get excellent shaves using it, but because I just did not enjoy using it. Many things contribute towards one's enjoyment with a particular tool, and the R41 and I just were not a good fit. The Lupo .95 OC and I are a very good fit. It's smoother with less blade feel than the R41, feels more agile in my hand and delivers results just as good (but not better) than the R41.

So the bottom line for me is that if you have and enjoy using the R41, you need not bother looking at the Lupo. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy the R41 and are looking for a very efficient and moderately aggressive razor, go get yourself a Lupo .95 OC. Or do as many here do - buy both! (You can always be like me and sell whichever one you tire of).

I have only used the R41 a few times but so far I like it. If the Lupo 95 OC is fairly close to the R41 in efficiency as stated here, I will probably try it at some point.

Reactions: Kix

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I don't have a Muhle R41...but I do have a DSCosmetic Z0 which is a Chinese stainless steel knockoff of the Muhle R41. I also have the Lupo .95 OC. The Lupo is an easier razor to use and it gives excellent shave, but it doesn't get as close as the DSCosmetic Z0. Close, but not quite. Much easier shave however.

So I used the Lupo 95 OC for a first shave this morning. My initial impression is definitely favorable. I'm not sure if it's as efficient as the R41 but it gave me a nice shave. I think this one's a keeper.
I had two shaves so far with the 95 OC. I would need to do a shave one after the other to be able to tell exactly. However, the 95 OC is so efficient, I didn't need the 3rd pass, only minor touchup. Of course without the 3rd pass it does not feel glass like, but close enough.

I’ve got a Lupo 95 kit on the way and the R41 is one of my all-time favorite razors, so I’m anxious to give the Lupo a try and provide some feedback here. I’ve been drifting toward slightly milder razors lately so I’ve got high hopes for the Lupo.

Imho, the R41 trumps both Lupo .95 variants in terms of efficiency. They are still efficient shavers, but the Lupos are more about smoothness (the SB even more so than the OC)...

I think the question is what you value in your shaves. If you value efficiency, you should perhaps take a closer look at the Blackbird OC as an option.

Or just stick with the R41 and attach a heavy handle.

If you are having issues with blade chatter you might want to try to switch the R41 top cap with the top cap of the Razorock SLOC. Yaqi sells these head separately for a tenner...

Choices, choices...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom