What's new

R41 GS vs R41 Twist

So, does the GS actually shave different than the Twist, or the other Zamac models? Seems there's at least one gent who's got both and regrets buying the GS. I've also read posts and seen photos here that show the head geometry on the GS is a bit different than the Zamac versions. What's the final verdict on the GS?

M

mtcn77

So, does the GS actually shave different than the Twist, or the other Zamac models? Seems there's at least one gent who's got both and regrets buying the GS. I've also read posts and seen photos here that show the head geometry on the GS is a bit different than the Zamac versions. What's the final verdict on the GS?
Well, their mass is not the same either. R41GS shaves very differently due to the weight. R41 has seen some design shifts throughout its life. It is not for the faint hearted, imo.

I have both, and i prefer the GS. The blade support is bettet on the GS.

20210616_211437.jpg

I was rather underwhelmed by the GS unfortunately. It's a handsome razor (and very well made) but it doesn't yield as smooth a shave as my other R41 variants. The added weight and longer handle has a lot to do with it but there is something going on with the head as well.

Full disclosure, I prefer lighter razors so the GS was perhaps doomed from the get-go. My favorite R41 variant happens to be the lightest (the R103 faux tortoiseshell handle) followed by the second lightest (the R101 black resin handle). The Rosegold R41 is heavier still and my third favourite with the GS in last place.

In the end, Muhle have done such a good job with the standard Zamak head that in all honesty there is not much point the stainless steel version (unless you're really into SS razors).

Thanks for the replies guys. I shaved with my R41 Twist today loaded with a fresh GSB and got possibly the closest and smoothest results so far with this razor. It’s the only razor in my collection that gives me the feeling that I’m the one who’s actually slicing the whiskers and not the razor and blade. If that makes sense. The razor just communicates like nothing else down to the texture of the whiskers, coarse, soft etc.

Top Bottom