What's new

Question got those who use After Shaves.

Got two email this week from Shave vendor advertising After shave on sale.

Couple were upwards of $150.00 for bottle.

Know real PERFUME is pricy, as recall working in cousin drug store back in late 50’s.

Good stuff was $25.00-$50.00/OZ.

Do guy drop $100.00 - $150.00 a bottle on post shave stuff?

No way! Drugstore aftershaves like Aqua Velva are less than $5 for a good-sized bottle. More expensive ones might be $10 or so. Aftershave in Germany is called Rasierwasser (shaving water). It's not supposed to be a long-lasting scent.

Know real PERFUME is pricy, as recall working in cousin drug store back in late 50’s.

Aftershaves and perfumes are different products. A bottle of aftershave should cost considerably less than a bottle of perfume, say $25 vs $150.

A few months ago Dillard's here was selling Creed Aventus here and half of their inventory sold in a week. $25 is my limit.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use aftershave, edt, and edp interchangeably, but even I recognise that they are totally different products, with different intended purposes, and different prices. There are several discontinued aftershaves, such as Kanebo Valcan, for which I would pay £30 for 100ml, but nothing currently in production would tempt me. Creed make an Aventus aftershave balm but they do not make an aftershave splash as far as I know. As a top tip for fans of Aventus edp - if you rub half a pineapple on your face and then flush several hundred dollars down the toilet you will achieve the same effect 🤣

Last two bottle of After Shave I got as gift were Old Spice, and Polo. That was 30+ years ago.

Now it’s Witch Hazel from Wal-Mart, smells like a old barber shop.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

$150 on post shave stuff?

That’s the price of a very nice dinner at a very nice restaurant.

At this point, I’ve got a much better chance with Mrs. C with a very nice dinner at a very nice restaurant than I do smelling like a Bond Street dandy.

I consider English Leather, Proraso, and Cella to be "high end". And mostly just for if I'm going to do something interesting away from the house.

But I have been tempted by those barbershop-sized bottles of Proraso...

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I use aftershave, edt, and edp interchangeably, but even I recognise that they are totally different products, with different intended purposes, and different prices. There are several discontinued aftershaves, such as Kanebo Valcan, for which I would pay £30 for 100ml, but nothing currently in production would tempt me. Creed make an Aventus aftershave balm but they do not make an aftershave splash as far as I know. As a top tip for fans of Aventus edp - if you rub half a pineapple on your face and then flush several hundred dollars down the toilet you will achieve the same effect 🤣
Is it really that good ?.

Aftershave prices have always fascinated me. I've seen bottles of Floid go for over 100 bills. Its essentially alcohol, water, and fragrance/scent that lasts minutes if you're fortunate. It's also unobtanium which is what drives the prices. Whenever anything becomes unobtanium the price shoots up regardless of how good a product it was.

Vintage juices also seem to command very high prices- too rich for my blood, even the commonly found on ebay Shulton old spice formulation costs far too much to me. I splurged on a $38 bottle of the new Floid the genuine. I considered that over budget. It's good juice but is it worth the price, probably not. I can't think of a single aftershave (alcohol or balm) that is going to make any significant difference in the results of my shave. I use them to feel refreshed or to extend the longevity of the fragrance. Spend your money however you like.

Top Bottom