Quest for less technology

Evening shave - 5/11/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (6)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Pilssoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman Jeris Osage Rub
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
What a pleasant end to a great tuck of blades! These blades have performed in all the razors that I have thrown at them and this last shave was no exception. Super smooth and comfortable and very close. No issues.

Evening shave - 5/12/24
Razor: KCG
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (1)
Brush: RazoRock Pilssoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman Citrus Musk
Rating: 9.25/10, DFS+
New blade to me in the Ladas Super Stainless. I decided to start safe and use a mild razor. The KCG performed just like it should and I have a very nice irritation free shave. The blade is certainly sharp and it resulted in a pleasant shave.

Well my Derby Premium tuck has come to an end. Wohoooo! Time for a new tuck! First a word regarding the Derby's. They have been a very solid blade these last five weeks or so that I have been using them. they have had no issues of my normal use of about six shaves per week/per blade. Solid performance from day one to six. It probably could go a few more shaves before it would decline in comfort and performance. It is quite a boring blade, which is a good thing. Boring means consistent and you cannot ask for more than that.

The Swing razor has been performing like nobody's business! The more I use it the more I like it. It certainly present a fair amount of blade feel and it does feel a bit dangerous, but it is so easy to maneuver and handle that there is no problem. This last run of three shaves or so that I had with it, I did not have a single weeper or anything. Just smooth close shaves. If you do your job with this razor it will reward you with great results.

Onto my next project tuck. This is the first one out of my lineup that I posted about around a week ago. I have like 14-15 tucks of all kinds of different blades and this would be my first one. It is the Ladas Super Stainless. I had my first shave with it last night and it was a nice pleasant shave without any issues. It does feel a bit sharper than the Derby Premium out of the box, but not by much. I decided to use the KCG razor due to it's mild manners as my first try. I did not want to push my luck as the first shave with it. I will most likely use the KCG for another couple of shaves and then change to maybe the Swing to get a better comparison. No need to hurry though since I have a full tuck to use.
1715599905754.png
1715599848661.png

The Ladas is a blade that is Russian made and made by the looks of it by Rapira. Maybe this is similar or maybe even the same blade as the Rapira Super Stainless. It also looks like Voskhod is made in the same factory. We will see how they perform. I do have a tuck of Voskhod, Rapira Swedish Super Steel and Rapira Platinum Lux in my lineup and it will be interesting to see how they differ or how similar they are.
1715600844043.png

Evening shave - 5/13/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (2)
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 8.5/10, DFS+
Last night's shave was one with a bit of irritation. I decided to bowl lather for some reason and I thought it looked like good lather. Maybe I am just trying to blame something else than myself, but the first two passes WTG, XTG was just like normal, but for some reason the ATG was a bit rough. I ended up with neck tenderness and a weeper and still this morning I can feel the tenderness. Still a very close and presentable shave.

Hmm this shave reminded me of my shaves that I had with the Rapira Platinum Lux blades a while back. The Rapira was not one of my top blades and caused me some irritation and trouble. I hope that I have improved my technique by now and it is not due to the blade since the Ladas and the Rapira is most likely very similar blades. I am debating with myself if I should continue to use the KCG tonight or if I need a more blade forward razor. I might do another shave and take it from there. It could have been me having a bit of an off night as well.

I am thinking about maybe 3017 the Stetson After shave I have. It is my least favorite of them all and I am getting tired of it. I cannot make myself just throw it out. It is not like it is offensive or anything, but it leaves my skin a bit tacky afterwards. I probably will buckle down and just use it up. I have maybe about 1/3 left in the bottle. It is a pity that it is not better since it is the only after shave I have (yes I am cheap when it comes to after shaves) that came in a glass bottle. I might save the bottle incase I want to decant or make my own concoction.

Happy shaves everyone!

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Evening shave - 5/13/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (2)
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Rating: 8.5/10, DFS+
Last night's shave was one with a bit of irritation. I decided to bowl lather for some reason and I thought it looked like good lather. Maybe I am just trying to blame something else than myself, but the first two passes WTG, XTG was just like normal, but for some reason the ATG was a bit rough. I ended up with neck tenderness and a weeper and still this morning I can feel the tenderness. Still a very close and presentable shave.

Hmm this shave reminded me of my shaves that I had with the Rapira Platinum Lux blades a while back. The Rapira was not one of my top blades and caused me some irritation and trouble. I hope that I have improved my technique by now and it is not due to the blade since the Ladas and the Rapira is most likely very similar blades. I am debating with myself if I should continue to use the KCG tonight or if I need a more blade forward razor. I might do another shave and take it from there. It could have been me having a bit of an off night as well.

I am thinking about maybe 3017 the Stetson After shave I have. It is my least favorite of them all and I am getting tired of it. I cannot make myself just throw it out. It is not like it is offensive or anything, but it leaves my skin a bit tacky afterwards. I probably will buckle down and just use it up. I have maybe about 1/3 left in the bottle. It is a pity that it is not better since it is the only after shave I have (yes I am cheap when it comes to after shaves) that came in a glass bottle. I might save the bottle incase I want to decant or make my own concoction.

Happy shaves everyone!
The Ladas isn't considered to be among the sharpest blades out there, so maybe that's why ATG caused some issues.

The Ladas isn't considered to be among the sharpest blades out there, so maybe that's why ATG caused some issues.
I am not sure. It does however feel sharper than the Derby Premium and I had no issue at all with the KCG with those. I am going to give it another shot tonight and after that it will be a bit more efficient razor. Who knows. Seems like you had a bit of a mystery shave yourself.

Loaded up my Pilot Prera F last night with some Platinum Carbon Black in hopes of that it would work well on my crappy work engineering notebook. The answer is NOPE. It feathers and bleeds way too much for my liking. That does not mean it is a bad ink just that it does not work on real crappy paper. That is a bummer. 😕

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Wow! Stetson after shave. That stuffs been around for over 35 years. I bought some...once. It just didn't seem to fit me at all...maybe if I'd gone up a size...BADABOOM! The hits keep coming...

View attachment 1846154
There’s actually two versions of Stetson. There’s the $5 Walmart one and the $25 “real” one. Which one did you try @blethenstrom ? I’ve read the Walmart one is tacky, so I’m assuming that’s the one.

There’s actually two versions of Stetson. There’s the $5 Walmart one and the $25 “real” one. Which one did you try @blethenstrom ? I’ve read the Walmart one is tacky, so I’m assuming that’s the one.
Boris: Of course @Jay21 it is the Walmart one I'm cheap skate! What do you take me for? Some fancy dude strutting his stuff? I cannot spend that kind of money on frivolous things.

Sirob: Boris your cannot be mean like that. @Jay21 is a nice friend of ours. Boris you say that $25 for an after shave is a lot of money, but you bought a Lamy 2000 for $$$. What do you have to say for yourself?

Boris: That is way different Sirob. That does not count! Now Go back to your little hole where your came from and do not come out until I tell you to....

Yes it is the cheap stuff from Walmart Jay and yes it is tacky......
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Boris: Of course @Jay21 it is the Walmart one I'm cheap skate! What do you take me for? Some fancy dude strutting his stuff? I cannot spend that kind of money on frivolous things.

Sirob: Boris your cannot be mean like that. @Jay21 is a nice friend of ours. Boris you say that $25 for an after shave is a lot of money, but you bought a Lamy 2000 for $$$. What do you have to say for yourself?

Boris: That is way different Sirob. That does not count! Now Go back to your little hole where your came from and do not come out until I tell you to....

Yes it is the cheap stuff from Walmart Jay and yes it is tacky......
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office
Well, I like the taste...pilgrim

johnwayne1.gif

Evening shave - 5/14/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (3)
Brush: Omega 10065
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
More comfortable shave than previous one. However, still a bit tightness of the skin, but not a lot. Plenty close shave. I just had a couple of spots with short stubble left in my normal troublesome areas.

A bit better shave last night as compared to the previous one. I think that even though the KCG is a mild razor I have to watch my pressure. I have a tendency to get a bit carried away with the milder ones thinking that I need to compensate the mildness with pressure. I cannot do that because it still causes irritation. I also had what I thought was a bit too thick lather. Now a thick lather is nice and cushioning, but with milder razors I really need a bit thinner lather so the razor does not glide so much on top of the lather.

I think I will switch razor for the next shave to the Swing again. I need some more shaves on it. Also, I am trying to keep a fairly even number of shaves across my razors. I guess in my mind that keeps me abreast on all of them and none will feel left out. I just looked at my razor shave count and I need to work on the Merkur 41C. That one will see some action next week.

I did receive the RazoRock Mentor head from @Darth Scandalous, that he was not using, the other day and I compared it last night with my Mentor head. There is quite a big difference in play in the head between mine and the one I received. It is much less in the one that @Darth Scandalous sent me. It seems like both the baseplate having larger holes and the pegs on the cap was smaller. I mixed matched them with my original one and if I used either from mine it was sloppier. I think I just got a poor tolerance one. I guess that is the luck of the draw with these low cost razors/heads. Thank you @Darth Scandalous for sending it to me. I am looking forward in trying it out shortly.

Happy shaves everyone!

Morning shave - 5/16/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft RR400
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Ahh now that is a shave. Smooth, comfortable and oh so sweet. Efficient and easy to use razor that yielded an effortless marble like shave. I could get used to this.

Well that was gooo...ood as like uncle Eddie would say. It was a very nice shave this morning. I decided to go back to my Swing razor to get some more shave in on it. Which brings me to razor shave balancing. Yes I know I am particular about this. I like to utilize my razors fairly evenly across the board. I am a firm believer in "no razor left behind". Even though they might not be the "best" razor of the bunch they still deserve some time on the face. I guess that would be until I get tired and get rid of it after all. Anyways so since I do keep track of my shaves in my shave log I can very easy track the razor usage. The picture below shows this.
1715859114971.png

This shows my razors in ascending use order. This way I know which razors that are coming up next. Now there are a couple of razors I will phase out and get rid of like the Leaf and others :eek2:😳😳............oh my I just saw it........ I HAVE 19....NOOO..I HAVE 20 (I have a 2nd Gillette SuperSpeed)......NO I HAVE 21 RAZORS(I have a Gillette Slim that I have not used because it has a bent SB).. STOP IT.... I AM A HOARDER. How did this happen? This is bad! I am 1.5 year into this and I have 21 razors. See I should never have counted. I was in blissful ignorance. Shake it off..
Chills Shake It Off GIF by Operation Fortune

Ok I am good now after that realization. Anyways where was I. Yes razor usage..even usage. I need to put more shaves on the Merkur 41C which will be interesting because it seemed very mild to me. Maybe with a different blade it will do better. The RazoRock Quick-Change TTO is on the cusp of being ousted, but I will give it one last chance to remedy itself. I should not even have the BIC Sensitive on this list. Anyways enough rambling from me. Have a great day and..

Happy shaves everyone!

Top Bottom