What's new

Quest for less technology

Does not really fit the nerd vibe.
You're right...and you guys are nerds. Pocket protectors, white socks, calculators and khaki pants too? Or would those be generational nerd accoutrements? My inner nerdity became sacrificed on the altar of "desperately trying to fit in" during my school years. Of course back then it wasn't being a nerd it was considered being "frickin' weird". And you were avoided because who knows? It might rub off on someone and they'd become infected and weird also. But it was funny when you look back at the clothes you wore..."Carnaby Street", flares in orange, green, pin stripes, flower shirts etc. Cool was colourful...kinda. I shoulda stuck to jeans and T-shirts. Now "nerd" is totally acceptable and our favourite is Steve Kornacki on MSNBC...a true statistical nerd. Maybe you should have him as your "Honorary President" that would be hilarious.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 8.09.33 AM.png

You're right...and you guys are nerds. Pocket protectors, white socks, calculators and khaki pants too? Or would those be generational nerd accoutrements? My inner nerdity became sacrificed on the altar of "desperately trying to fit in" during my school years. Of course back then it wasn't being a nerd it was considered being "frickin' weird". And you were avoided because who knows? It might rub off on someone and they'd become infected and weird also. But it was funny when you look back at the clothes you wore..."Carnaby Street", flares in orange, green, pin stripes, flower shirts etc. Cool was colourful...kinda. I shoulda stuck to jeans and T-shirts. Now "nerd" is totally acceptable and our favourite is Steve Kornacki on MSNBC...a true statistical nerd. Maybe you should have him as your "Honorary President" that would be hilarious.

View attachment 1842739
White socks with sandals at that! hmmmm wait that is just part of getting old..

I was a Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 guy. come to think of it I had a VIC 20 even. I did not have a PC at home until later. I think my first one was a 386 of some sort.
Oh I just remember I sold my old Amiga 500 a few years ago. It was still working and I was really fancy because I had a 52 Mb Hd with it. It snapped onto the side of the Amiga. I was hot stuff.....I got $160 for the bundle. It certainly was better than laying in my attic deteriorating. I had 3.5" Disc galore. I probably sent 200-300 discs with it.

but I assume that the brush itself holds less water than a synthetic does
Typically, it is the opposite, the natural hair bristles hold more water than synthetic fibers do. The slinging nature of synthetics is due to the tendency to not hold water. I'd say the need for more water with natural hair brushes is due to the water retaining properties of the hairs. I believe the good Professor Flanders (@APBinNCA) mentioned this in the beginning of his journal.

Typically, it is the opposite, the natural hair bristles hold more water than synthetic fibers do. The slinging nature of synthetics is due to the tendency to not hold water. I'd say the need for more water with natural hair brushes is due to the water retaining properties of the hairs. I believe the good Professor Flanders (@APBinNCA) mentioned this in the beginning of his journal.
See you learn something everyday.

The slinging nature of synthetics is due to the tendency to not hold water
To expand on this, synthetic fibers can’t absorb water and hold it on their surface. There are various methods applied to make them hold quite a bit, but because it’s only on the surface the water tends to release readily. Frequently when not desired. This is where springiness comes into play.

Morning shave - 5/9/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (5/5) (4)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Pilssoft RR400
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Switched to another Swedish razor in the Swing. Another awesome razor and it did not let down either. Very easy shave albeit with more blade feel than the Matador I used yesterday. Smooth and plenty close.

I unpacked and used my brand new RR400 this morning and I have to say first impression is woow. I really like the larger handle and even though I think it is the same knot as in my Hive 24 brush it felt very luxurious. I had almost forgotten how much lather that this knot hold after using boar brushes for the last number of shaves. Of course it really does not have much backbone to speak of, but for face lathering it is fantastic.

I switched razor to my Swing razor. I have only 5 shaves on it so far and I need to put some more miles on it to get better acquainted with it. I will probably finish out the week with it. I do have more blade feel with the Swing than the Matador and it is a bit more blade forward. You do have to be a bit more careful while using it. I was successful though in not causing any weepers nor irritation from it so that was a win. The blade seemed well suited for it so no issues there either.

I did put my brand new RazoRock "vintage" thin SS handle on the Swing and I have to say that I like it a lot. It is quite a bit lighter than their regular SS handles. I will definitely experiment by using it on more razors and see how I like it. It certainly changes the balance point a bit, but for me the change was in a good way. We will see how I like that when I have a heavier head than the Swing and if I think the same. We will see.

Happy shaves everyone!

Top Bottom